Re: Ctrl-T mapped to Toggle()

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2008
      Volker Glave wrote:
      > There's a toggle.vim plugin here doing mappings
      > | 46 imap <S-C-T> <C-O>:call Toggle()<CR>
      > | 47 nmap <S-C-T> :call Toggle()<CR>
      >
      > But instead as it seems the mapping goes to <C-T> ...
      > | :map <S-C-T>
      > | n <C-T> :call Toggle()<CR>
      > ... so I'm losing default Ctrl-T (Jump to older entry in the
      > tag stack).
      >
      > So, are S-C-mappings in general getting reshaped to
      > C-mappings?
      > Hm, from todo.txt:
      > "8 Should mapping <C-A> and <C-S-A> both work?"
      >
      > More interestingly, what's the best way for me to
      > revert to normal C-T behaviour?
      > Should I unmap C-T in vimrc?
      > Should I disable toggle.vim plugin? How? Assume
      > that I don't have change/write access to the plugin
      > directory.
      >
      > I'm using
      > | version 7.0.224
      > | :ver
      > | VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled May 1 2007 10:53:35)
      > | MS-Windows 32 bit console version
      > | Included patches: 1-224
      >
      > Thanks in advance!
      > Volker

      IIUC, when x is a letter, C-x is represented as (x and 0x1F) regardless of
      whether x is upper- or lower-case: Ctrl-a and Ctrl-A are both 0x01, Ctrl-b and
      Ctrl-B are both 0x02, etc., so, yes, S-C-mappings *for letters* are the same
      as C-mappings. It's not really Vim's fault, it's (IIRC) part of the ASCII
      specification. For non-printing keys (such as arrow keys and F keys) it's
      different. For non-letter printing keys, I'm not sure.

      If you want to keep the special Ctrl-T mapping, you can always map the default
      Ctrl-T function by using (for instance) ":noremap <F2> <C-T>"

      In general, when creating "custom" mappings in Vim, it's best to stay away
      from printing keys and cursor movement keys (with or without Shift and/or
      Ctrl) because most of these are already taken. I recommend using F keys (with
      or without Shift, and possibly excepting F1=Help and F10=Menu) as your best
      bets for "user" mappings; or multikey mappings starting with <Leader> or
      <LocalLeader> (q.v.) if you're writing a general-use plugin.

      A pretty young maiden from France
      Decided she'd "just take a chance."
      She let herself go
      For an hour or so
      And now all her sisters are aunts.

    • Richard Hartmann
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2008
        On Feb 2, 2008 2:32 PM, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

        > I recommend using F keys (with
        > or without Shift, and possibly excepting F1=Help and F10=Menu) as your best
        > bets for "user" mappings;

        Setting pastetoggle to F1 was the best thing I ever did :)

        SCNR,
        Richard

      • Volker Glave
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2008
          On Feb 2, 2:32 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
          wrote:
          > Volker Glave wrote:
          > > There's a toggle.vim plugin here doing mappings
          > > | 46 imap <S-C-T> <C-O>:call Toggle()<CR>
          > > | 47 nmap <S-C-T> :call Toggle()<CR>
          >
          > > But instead as it seems the mapping goes to <C-T> ...
          > > | :map <S-C-T>
          > > | n <C-T> :call Toggle()<CR>
          > > ... so I'm losing default Ctrl-T (Jump to older entry in the
          > > tag stack).
          >
          > > So, are S-C-mappings in general getting reshaped to
          > > C-mappings?
          > > Hm, from todo.txt:
          > > "8 Should mapping <C-A> and <C-S-A> both work?"
          >
          > IIUC, when x is a letter, C-x is represented as (x and 0x1F) regardless of
          > whether x is upper- or lower-case: Ctrl-a and Ctrl-A are both 0x01, Ctrl-b and
          > Ctrl-B are both 0x02, etc., so, yes, S-C-mappings *for letters* are the same
          > as C-mappings. It's not really Vim's fault, it's (IIRC) part of the ASCII
          > specification. For non-printing keys (such as arrow keys and F keys) it's
          > different. For non-letter printing keys, I'm not sure.

          Ok, thank you.

          > If you want to keep the special Ctrl-T mapping, you can always map the default
          > Ctrl-T function by using (for instance) ":noremap <F2> <C-T>"

          Since I do not need Toggle() that much I do a
          :autocmd VimEnter * unmap <C-T>
          in vimrc now to undo the mapping.

          > In general, when creating "custom" mappings in Vim, it's best to stay away
          > from printing keys and cursor movement keys (with or without Shift and/or
          > Ctrl) because most of these are already taken. I recommend using F keys ...

          Yes. (In this case the mapping was done in an existing toggle.vim
          plugin, that I don't have access to, though. To be true, I do have
          access,
          but it's a given profile that may update itself now and than, so a
          change
          won't last ...)

          Greetings
          Volker