vertical ruler

  • Mick Charles Beaver
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1 3:29 PM
      Hello,

      Is it possible to create a vertical ruler in Vim? Basically, I'd like
      a dotted line at column 80, like in the NetBeans editor.

      Thanks,
      Mick

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1 3:41 PM
        > Is it possible to create a vertical ruler in Vim? Basically, I'd like
        > a dotted line at column 80, like in the NetBeans editor.

        Heh, for some reason when I read the first part, I thought you
        were asking for a vertical ruler to note how far down in your
        file you are...those are called line-numbers... :)

        Anyways...

        I don't believe there's a such an item per-se, but you can do
        something like

        :match Error /\%>79v/

        which will highlight anything that extends beyond column 79. I
        use this regularly to keep my line-lengths in check.

        -tim

      • Mick Charles Beaver
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1 3:45 PM
          Picture of NetBeans editor: