Re: a smoother iab

  • Matthew Winn
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 30, 2007
      On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 00:29:25 +0100, "A.Politz" <politza@...>
      wrote:

      > iab peps # =========* *=========<C-O>11h
      >
      > Using '<C-O>' to fire on normal command.

      An easier way is to end with <C-O>F<Space> so you don't have to count
      characters.

      --
      Matthew Winn

    • reader@newsguy.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 30, 2007
        "A.Politz" <politza@...> writes:

        > iab peps # =========* *=========<C-O>11h
        >
        > Using '<C-O>' to fire on normal command.

        Haa... I could swear I tried that very syntax before resorting to my
        clunky technique... I must have forgot to save .vimrc or source .vimrc
        before testing.

        Anyway that is a much nicer forumulation.

      • reader@newsguy.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 30, 2007
          Matthew Winn <vim@...> writes:

          >> iab peps # =========* *=========<C-O>11h
          >>
          >> Using '<C-O>' to fire on normal command.
          >
          > An easier way is to end with <C-O>F<Space> so you don't have to count
          > characters.

          Yes, also nice.. however that method and the one above both create an
          unwanted extra space between * * (asterisks) where as the awkward
          formulation I posted (below) does'nt. Not a big deal of course but it
          is nicer to be able to start writing what ever is to go between
          asterisks and have it end up evenly spaced on both ends automatically.

          (original posted forumulation (all on one line))
          iab peps # =============* *=============^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD
          ^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD

        • reader@newsguy.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 30, 2007
            Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> writes:

            > :iab <F5> # =========*
            > =<Left>=<Left>=<Left>=<Left>=<Left>=<Left>=<Left>=<Left>=<Left>*<Left> <Left>

            I'm probably doing something wrong but that formulation just causes
            errors when loading vimrc for me.

            E464 Invalid Argument

            (I did have it on one line.. in case you wonder)

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 30, 2007
              reader@... wrote:
              > Matthew Winn <vim@...> writes:
              >
              >>> iab peps # =========* *=========<C-O>11h
              >>>
              >>> Using '<C-O>' to fire on normal command.
              >> An easier way is to end with <C-O>F<Space> so you don't have to count
              >> characters.
              >
              > Yes, also nice.. however that method and the one above both create an
              > unwanted extra space between * * (asterisks) where as the awkward
              > formulation I posted (below) does'nt. Not a big deal of course but it
              > is nicer to be able to start writing what ever is to go between
              > asterisks and have it end up evenly spaced on both ends automatically.
              >
              > (original posted forumulation (all on one line))
              > iab peps # =============* *=============^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD
              > ^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD^[OD

              I guess reader thought you _wanted_ two spaces in the middle. I sure thought
              you did. If you don't, just remove one space from the {rhs} of the abbreviation.

              Kill a commie for Christ!

            • Matthew Winn
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 30, 2007
                On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:42:23 -0600, reader@... wrote:

                > Matthew Winn <vim@...> writes:
                >
                > >> iab peps # =========* *=========<C-O>11h
                > >>
                > >> Using '<C-O>' to fire on normal command.
                > >
                > > An easier way is to end with <C-O>F<Space> so you don't have to count
                > > characters.
                >
                > Yes, also nice.. however that method and the one above both create an
                > unwanted extra space between * * (asterisks) where as the awkward
                > formulation I posted (below) does'nt.

                Not for me. You said you wanted...

                > # =========* X *=========

                ...and that's exactly what I get. My abbreviation behaves _exactly_
                the same way as yours, which isn't surprising since they're doing
                exactly the same thing in different ways.

                How are you finishing typing the abbreviation? I was assuming you
                would type "peps", a space, and then the text to appear between the
                asterisks. If I type "peps xxxxx" then with both my abbreviation and
                yours what I get is:

                (standard caveats for ASCII art apply) # =========* xxxxx *=========
                | | | | |
                expanded from the abbreviation ---------------' | | | |
                the space I typed after the abbreviation -----------' | | |
                the text I typed after the "peps" ---------------------' | |
                the space in the middle of the abbreviation --------------' |

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 30, 2007
                  Matthew Winn <vim@...> writes:

                  >> # =========* X *=========
                  >
                  > ...and that's exactly what I get. My abbreviation behaves _exactly_
                  > the same way as yours, which isn't surprising since they're doing
                  > exactly the same thing in different ways.

                  Gack... hey I'm really sorry I put through all the work. I must have
                  done something dimwitted here because I see the same results as you
                  now.

                  That was a nice ascii diagram... do you use something to help with
                  that? Maybe emacs picture mode or something similar?

                • Matthew Winn
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 31, 2007
                    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:21:33 -0600, reader@... wrote:

                    > That was a nice ascii diagram... do you use something to help with
                    > that?

                    No, just typing lots of -s and |s.

                    > Maybe emacs picture mode or something similar?

                    Argh! You said the E word.

                    --
                    Matthew Winn

                  • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 31, 2007
                      reader@... wrote:

                      >That was a nice ascii diagram... do you use something to help with
                      >that? Maybe emacs picture mode or something similar?

                      DrawIt could've been used for this, but it is a rather straightforward
                      drawing...

                      Chip Campbell