vertical split width

  • molecula21
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2007
      how do i change the width of a vertical split window?. i know how to
      do that with a horizontal split by adding the folowing to .vimrc

      if buffwin(1)
      map + <C-W> +
      map - <C-W> -
      endif

      but it seams harder to do it on a vertical splited window...

      another question: how do i copy text from vim to outside vim? e.g. i
      had to write down the previous piece of my vimrc because i just didn't
      figure out a way to copy it to this post...
    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2007
        > how do i change the width of a vertical split window?. i know how to
        > do that with a horizontal split by adding the folowing to .vimrc
        >
        > if buffwin(1)
        > map + <C-W> +
        > map - <C-W> -
        > endif
        >
        > but it seams harder to do it on a vertical splited window...

        The mappings you give are broken, given the extra space in them.

        For changing the width of vertical windows, you want

        :help ctrl-w_<
        :help ctrl-w_>

        which do the same horizontally as <C-W> followed by +/- do
        vertically. You can map these to make them more accessible if
        you need.

        > another question: how do i copy text from vim to outside vim? e.g. i
        > had to write down the previous piece of my vimrc because i just didn't
        > figure out a way to copy it to this post...

        Vim can yank/paste from your system clipboard buffer(s). Under
        Windows, there's only one, so the "+" register and the "*"
        register are synonyms. Under X, the "+" register is the analog
        to the copy/paste clipboard, and the "*" register is the "select"
        clipboard where selections are stashed. It took me a while to
        figure out the difference, but once I understood them, they each
        have their advantages in the rights situations, so I use both
        accordingly.

        Thus, you'd use

        "+p

        to paste the register just as you would use to paste any other
        register, or use

        "+yy

        to yank the current line to the clipboard.

        :help quotestar
        :help quoteplus

        to read more about these registers. If you're not running X on a
        *nix box, it's a bit more complex. I've seen some mappings to
        copy/paste to/from the "screen" clipboard if you're running under
        "screen", but otherwise, there's not much other than temp-files
        or fifo pipes for transferring content between files.

        -tim

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2007
          molecula21 wrote:
          > how do i change the width of a vertical split window?. i know how to
          > do that with a horizontal split by adding the folowing to .vimrc
          >
          > if buffwin(1)
          > map + <C-W> +
          > map - <C-W> -
          > endif
          >
          > but it seams harder to do it on a vertical splited window...
          >

          > another question: how do i copy text from vim to outside vim? e.g. i
          > had to write down the previous piece of my vimrc because i just didn't
          > figure out a way to copy it to this post...

          To copy to the clipboard from gvim (or from X-enabled console Vim running in
          an xterm, or from Windows console Vim compiled with +clipboard), yank to
          register plus.

          For a snippet of your vimrc: use linewise-visual, then

          "+y
          or
          :'<,'>y +

          (where Vim fills in '<,'> when you hit the colon key). The latter can also be
          used outside Visual mode with a normal range, as in

          :.-2,.+4y+

          to yank the current line to the clipboard, together with 2 lines above it and
          4 lines below it.

          To copy the whole file currently being edited to the clipboard, use a
          different range:

          :1,$y+
          or
          :%y+

          For something that Vim prints out on the bottom line (such as the output of
          ":version") use the ":redir" command, as in

          :redir @+
          :version
          :redir END

          which copies the "version" page of your current Vim to the clipboard.

          For non-clipboard-enabled versions of Vim, you will have to save to a file
          instead, as in

          :.-2,.+4w! clipboard.txt
          or
          :redir! version.txt
          :version
          :redir END

          "As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual
          certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I
          became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can
          meet girls."
          -- Matt Cartmill

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2007
            molecula21 wrote:
            > how do i change the width of a vertical split window?. i know how to
            > do that with a horizontal split by adding the folowing to .vimrc
            >
            > if buffwin(1)
            > map + <C-W> +
            > map - <C-W> -
            > endif
            >
            > but it seams harder to do it on a vertical splited window...

            Easiest IMHO is dragging the vertical separation with the mouse. Or else, in a
            script you could use e.g.

            :setlocal winwidth=50

            to give (if possible) 50 columns to the current vertically-split window.

            See also
            :help CTRL-W_<
            :help CTRL-W_>

            "Benson, you are so free of the ravages of intelligence"
            -- Time Bandits

          • Bill McCarthy
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2007
              On Sat 1-Dec-07 7:24pm -0600, molecula21 wrote:

              > another question: how do i copy text from vim to outside vim? e.g. i
              > had to write down the previous piece of my vimrc because i just didn't
              > figure out a way to copy it to this post...

              Since you didn't specify your OS, I'll assume it's Windows.
              If you set the clipboard to unnamed, a simple yank, or any
              operation that goes to unnamed, will save to the clipboard.

              Then from your windows app, paste from the clipboard
              (usually ctrl-v).

              :h 'cb'|/unnamed

              Bill

            • molecula21