Re: { SPAM } Re: putting visually selected text into a string

  • A.Politz
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
      Vincent wrote:

      >sc,
      >
      >I might have a buffer with the following 2 lines:
      >
      >x <- rnorm(100)
      >plot(x)
      >
      >I used A.Politz suggestion (thanks!) and it almost works. The issue is
      >that i get an error when i select both lines -- E492: Not an editor
      >command: plot(x)"'
      >
      >R will accept code segments separated by at ';' but ideally it would
      >be a return after each line of R code.
      >
      >Best,
      >
      >Vincent

      >>>execute "!osascript -e 'tell application \"R\" to cmd \""
      >>>.command. "\"'"

      Try to use system() instead of exec and '!'.

      -ap

      --
      Ich hab geträumt, der Krieg wär vorbei.

    • Vincent
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
        Thanks for the suggestions!

        The following works exactly as i had wanted.

        function! RunRProgram() range
        let command = join(getline(a:firstline,a:lastline),"\\n")
        execute "!osascript -e 'tell application \"R\" to cmd
        \"" .command. "\"'"
        endfunction

        ap: I tried using system but can't seem to get that to work.

        system("osascript -e 'tell application \"R\" to cmd \"" .command.
        "\"'")

        Vincent

        On Dec 1, 4:43 pm, "A.Politz" <poli...@...> wrote:
        > Vincent wrote:
        > >sc,
        >
        > >I might have a buffer with the following 2 lines:
        >
        > >x <- rnorm(100)
        > >plot(x)
        >
        > >I used A.Politz suggestion (thanks!) and it almost works. The issue is
        > >that i get an error when i select both lines -- E492: Not an editor
        > >command: plot(x)"'
        >
        > >R will accept code segments separated by at ';' but ideally it would
        > >be a return after each line of R code.
        >
        > >Best,
        >
        > >Vincent

        > Try to use system() instead of exec and '!'.
        >
        > -ap
        >
        > --
        > Ich hab geträumt, der Krieg wär vorbei.
      • Ben Schmidt
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
          > system("osascript -e 'tell application \"R\" to cmd \"" .command.
          > "\"'")

          You would need to :call system(...), if you didn't. System is a function so needs
          to live inside an expression, and the :call command is a nice command that just
          executes an expression and discards the result (unlike :exe which evaluates the
          expression then executes the result as a command).

          But hey, you have already solved your problem, so no need!

          Ben.

        • Vincent
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
            This is actually even nicer. Thanks for your help Ben!

            Best,

            Vincent