utf8 aware paragraph formatter for vim

  • DervishD
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2007
      Hi all :)

      The vim docs mention "par" as a candidate to use as paragraph formatter,
      but "par" is not utf8 aware and doesn't format correctly multibyte
      text (it assumes that one byte is one glyph and occupies one column). I
      use vim builtin formatter usually, and it works great... except when I
      want to justify the text.

      So, is there any paragraph formatter out there capable of doing
      justification (preferably of equal quality than that of "par") that can
      be used with vim as a filter?

      Thanks a lot in advance :)

      Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

      We are waiting for 13 Feb 2009 23:31:30 +0000 ...

    • Dominique Pelle
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2007
        The link below has information about a patch for the
        'par' formatter to support Unicode. You might want to
        give it a try.

        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Awesome_text_formatter#Unicode

        -- Dominique

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2007
          Hi Dominique :)

          * Dominique Pelle <dominique.pelle@...> dixit:
          > The link below has information about a patch for the
          > 'par' formatter to support Unicode. You might want to
          > give it a try.
          >
          > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Awesome_text_formatter#Unicode

          Oh my!. I must be much more stupid than I originally thought, because I
          utterly missed this tip O:))))

          I am currently using the "iconv" solution, and it works, but I would
          like to use a fully utf8-aware paragraph formatter. I didn't know about
          the patch, and I'll give it a try. The "e" bug doesn't affect me (yet).

          Thanks A LOT :)