Re: How to begin learning vim script?

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2007
      Neo wrote:
      [...]
      > Thanks. In fact, that is why I asked here. I really don't know which
      > book or online docs is good to learn writing plugins.
      >
      > Neo

      IMHO, the best (most accurate, most complete and most up-to-date) reference
      about anything concerning Vim is the Vim help itself. Like the rest of your
      runtime files, you should keep them up-to-date by periodically syncing some
      directory on your hard disk with ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/ (where the
      helpfiles live in the doc/ subdirectory). On Unix (or on Windows with cygwin),
      where you would compile Vim yourself, start at your top directory "for
      building" (the parent of src/ runtime/ etc.) then use

      rsync -avzcP --delete --exclude="/dos/" ftp.nluug.nl::Vim/runtime/ ./runtime/
      2>&1 |tee rsync.log

      (all on one line), then, if there is anything other than doc/tags,

      make -C src installruntime 2>&1 |tee instrt.log

      This is not black magic: the rsync command updates your own runtime/ directory
      tree to make it a copy of Bram's master while transferring as little data as
      possible (files with the same date & length on both sides are not
      transferred), and the "make installruntime", well, installs the runtimes after
      they've been updated in the source tree.

      The mosquito is the state bird of New Jersey.
      -- Andy Warhol