Re: Latex-suite command completion

  • Szabolcs
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2007
      I turned on logging as you suggested in a previous message in this
      thread. These are the contents of the log file. The lines beginning
      with % describe what I did at that point.

      % :let g:Imap_Debug=1
      % :let g:Tex_Debug=1
      % :let g:Tex_DebugLog='tdbg.log'
      % :e tst.tex

      proj : texproject.vim: catching LatexSuiteFileType event
      env : envmacros.vim: Catching LatexSuiteFileType event
      comp : compiler.vim: Catching LatexSuiteFileType event
      fold : folding.vim: catching LatexSuiteFileType
      view : texviewer.vim: Catching LatexSuiteFileType event
      main : main.vim: Catching LatexSuiteFileType event
      main : SetTeXOptions: sourcing maps
      comp : +Tex_SetTeXCompilerTarget: setting target to [dvi] for Compiler
      comp : +Tex_SetTeXCompilerTarget: setting target to [dvi] for Viewr
      comp : compiler/tex.vim: sourcing this file
      pack : packages.vim: Catching LatexSuiteFileType event
      pack : +Tex_pack_updateall
      pack : :Tex_pack_updateall: split
      pack : +Tex_ScanForPackages
      pack : :Tex_ScanForPackages: Begining scans in [tst.tex], beginline =
      3
      pack : :Tex_ScanForPackages: beginning scan for \usepackage lines
      pack : :Tex_ScanForPackages: found package(s) ["inputenc"] on line 2
      pack : :Tex_ScanForPackages: End scan \usepackage, detected packages
      = ,inputenc
      pack : :Tex_ScanForPackages: Beginning scan for \newcommand's
      pack : :Tex_ScanForPackages: Beginning scan for \newenvironment's
      pack : -Tex_ScanForPackages
      pack : :Tex_pack_updateall: detected [inputenc] in first run
      pack : :Tex_pack_updateall: scanning package inputenc
      pack : :Tex_pack_updateall: silent! find inputenc.sty
      pack : :Tex_pack_updateall: present file = tst.tex
      pack : :Tex_pack_updateall: inputenc not found anywhere
      pack : Tex_pack_check: searching for inputenc in dictionaries/ in &rtp
      imap : IMAP_PutTextWithMovement: text = [\usepackage[X^\^N:call
      IMAP_Mark('set')
      "_s<++>]{inputenc}<++>^\^N:call IMAP_Mark('go')
      i^R=IMAP_Jumpfunc('', 1)
      ]
      pack : :Tex_pack_updateall: throwing LatexSuiteScannedPackages event
      pack : -Tex_pack_updateall

      % \ll

      comp : +Tex_RunLaTeX, b:fragmentFile = 0
      comp : Tex_RunLaTeX: compiling to target [dvi]
      comp : Tex_RunLaTeX: getting dependency chain = [dvi]
      comp : +Tex_SetTeXCompilerTarget: setting target to [dvi] for Compiler
      comp : Tex_RunLaTeX: setting target to dvi
      comp : Tex_RunLaTeX: compiling file multiple times via
      Tex_CompileMultipleTimes
      comp : Tex_CompileMultipleTimes: latex run number : 1
      comp : Tex_CompileLatex: getting mainfname = [tst.tex] from
      Tex_GetMainFileName
      comp : Tex_CompileLatex: execing [make! tst.tex]
      comp : Tex_CompileMultipleTimes: errors = [
      2:6 error: Undefined control sequence. \su error $\su $]
      comp : Tex_RunLaTeX: errlist = [
      2:6 error: Undefined control sequence. \su error $\su $]
      comp : Tex_RunLaTeX: There were errors in compiling, breaking chain...
      comp : Tex_SetupErrorWindow: mfnlog = tst.log
      comp : not finding error pattern anywhere in quickfix window :tst.log
      comp : -Tex_RunLaTeX

      %%% now the cursor is in the quickfix window, on the error line
      % <CR>

      comp : not finding error pattern anywhere in quickfix window :tst.tex

      % <Up><CR>
      %%% the preview window appears, the cursor jumps back to the same
      %%% error line in the quickfix window

      comp : not finding error pattern anywhere in quickfix window :tst.log

      % <CR>
      %%% the preview window disappears, the cursor stays on the same
      %%% error line in the qf window

      comp : not finding error pattern anywhere in quickfix window :tst.tex

    • A.Politz
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2007
        I have no win32, so I can only guess...

        Szabolcs wrote:

        >I turned on logging as you suggested in a previous message in this
        >thread. These are the contents of the log file. The lines beginning
        >with % describe what I did at that point.
        >
        >% :let g:Imap_Debug=1
        >% :let g:Tex_Debug=1
        >% :let g:Tex_DebugLog='tdbg.log'
        >% :e tst.tex

        >% \ll

        >comp : Tex_CompileMultipleTimes: errors = [
        > 2:6 error: Undefined control sequence. \su error $\su $]

        This is the output of 'clist' . I don't know if vim sometimes
        uses 'bufnr' instead of 'filenames',in which case the '2' in '2:6'
        could point to bufnr 2.
        In case it is not the bufnr, it would appear that the
        'errformat' option wrongly parses the output of miktex.
        You can verify that by trying a
        :make %
        in the tst.tex window. Or verifying, that the number is
        _not_ always the number of the buffer.

        -ap

        --
        Ich hab geträumt, der Krieg wär vorbei.

      • Szabolcs
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2007
          On Nov 1, 11:12 pm, "A.Politz" <poli...@...> wrote:
          > I have no win32, so I can only guess...
          >

          > Szabolcs wrote:
          > >I turned on logging as you suggested in a previous message in this
          > >thread. These are the contents of the log file. The lines beginning
          > >with % describe what I did at that point.
          >
          > >% :let g:Imap_Debug=1
          > >% :let g:Tex_Debug=1
          > >% :let g:Tex_DebugLog='tdbg.log'
          > >% :e tst.tex

          > >% \ll

          > >comp : Tex_CompileMultipleTimes: errors = [
          > > 2:6 error: Undefined control sequence. \su error $\su $]
          >
          > This is the output of 'clist' . I don't know if vim sometimes
          > uses 'bufnr' instead of 'filenames',in which case the '2' in '2:6'
          > could point to bufnr 2.
          > In case it is not the bufnr, it would appear that the
          > 'errformat' option wrongly parses the output of miktex.
          > You can verify that by trying a
          > :make %
          > in the tst.tex window. Or verifying, that the number is
          > _not_ always the number of the buffer.

          What does bufnr mean exactly (I know very little about this)? The
          command :echo bufnr("%") returns 1 for the window with tst.tex, 2 for
          the quickfix window and 3 for the preview window (when visible after
          an <Up>).

          I tried moving tst.log from a linux computer (where this was working)
          to windows, and doing :cfile tst.log and :cwindow, but it does not
          work (the filename is missing from the error line). When I try the
          reverse, i.e. moving the windows tst.log to linux, it doesn't work
          either (the line endings were changes during transfer). There are
          only minor differences between the two files, like paths and version
          numbers, so I don't know what is happening.

          How exactly does Vim decide where to look for the file where with the
          errors? Does it take the file name from tst.log?

        • Szabolcs Horvát
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 1, 2007
            I attached the two tst.log files. They are nearly identical.

          • Szabolcs
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 1, 2007
              Sorry for the spamming ... just one more question:

              What does that
              || (tst.aux)
              line mean in the quickfix window?

              This is the first line in the qf window when things *are* working
              correctly, both on win and linux. (Without \usepackage{inputenc}
              everything is OK on windows). When it is not working correctly, I see
              the following line instead (after pressing <Up>):

              || (c:\texmf\tex\latex\base\inputenc.sty

              Does this mean that "(tst.aux)" is what tells Vim which file contains
              the errors, and that it is misparsing the output of MiKTeX?

            • A.Politz
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                Szabolcs wrote:

                >Sorry for the spamming ... just one more question:
                >
                >What does that
                >|| (tst.aux)
                >line mean in the quickfix window?
                >
                >This is the first line in the qf window when things *are* working
                >correctly, both on win and linux. (Without \usepackage{inputenc}
                >everything is OK on windows). When it is not working correctly, I see
                >the following line instead (after pressing <Up>):
                >
                >|| (c:\texmf\tex\latex\base\inputenc.sty
                >
                >Does this mean that "(tst.aux)" is what tells Vim which file contains
                >the errors, and that it is misparsing the output of MiKTeX?

                I have little experience with writing 'errorformats',
                but I am fairly shure, that it is the problem.
                'errorformat' contains a list of pattern, which
                are matched against the compiler output.
                This doesn't seem to work in every case.
                If you look at the differences in your files, you
                notice that the braces differ. Braces are used in the
                errorformat to help recognizing filenames.

                The lines you are referring to are simply matches
                against one of the errorformats as text.In other
                words 'it' is configured (via errorformat)
                to display this filename, no other meaning implied.

                Maybe the plugin, the way it configured errorformat,
                believes that the error is in file 'inputenc.sty',
                but vim can't open it for some reason.

                tst.log contains the errros, which latex-suite uses.

                -ap

                --
                Ich hab geträumt, der Krieg wär vorbei.

              • Robert Cussons
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 5, 2007
                  A.Politz wrote:
                  > Robert Cussons wrote:
                  >
                  >> Manu Hack wrote:

                  >>> I can't reproduce your bug under my machine (vim 7.1 on debian).
                  >>>

                  >> I am using
                  >> :version
                  >> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled Oct 13 2007 13:28:30)
                  >> Included patches: 1-138
                  >>
                  >> just updated now, under Debian Etch. Problem still exists.
                  >>

                  >>> And I think you don't have to use ALT L to get \left(\right)<++>, just
                  >>> type (( it will expand to that. Also for frac + F7 you may use `/.
                  >>>

                  >> Thanks, these are very useful tips, even faster now ;-). In fact they
                  >> even work inside brackets which for some reason the F7 method doesn't,
                  >> however there are other functions like sum that I still need the F7
                  >> method for and they just produce a zero as explained above when
                  >> performed inside brackets, anyone any idea how I can track down the
                  >> problem?
                  >> Thanks
                  >> Rob.
                  >>

                  > Do this :
                  >

                  > let g:Imap_Debug=1
                  > let g:Tex_Debug=1
                  > let g:Tex_DebugLog='/tmp/tex.log' " or any other nonexistant file
                  >
                  > :e newfile.tex
                  > <Enter insertmode and type :>
                  > frac<f7>
                  >
                  > Then post the content of the logfile.
                  >
                  > -ap

                  Sorry, been away on holiday for a few days and it seems somebody
                  (Szabolcs) has been borrowing my thread, please don't do this as it
                  confuses everybody as to the exact subject of the thread, I know it was
                  related to start with but it definitely wasn't by the end.

                  Anyway, back to the problem at hand, when it works, the log file
                  contains this:

                  proj : texproject.vim: catching LatexSuiteFileType event
                  env : envmacros.vim: Catching LatexSuiteFileType event
                  comp : compiler.vim: Catching LatexSuiteFileType event
                  fold : folding.vim: catching LatexSuiteFileType
                  brak : brackets.vim: Catching LatexSuiteFileType event
                  view : texviewer.vim: Catching LatexSuiteFileType event
                  main : main.vim: Catching LatexSuiteFileType event
                  main : SetTeXOptions: sourcing maps
                  comp : +Tex_SetTeXCompilerTarget: setting target to [ps] for Compiler
                  comp : +Tex_SetTeXCompilerTarget: setting target to [ps] for Viewr
                  comp : compiler/tex.vim: sourcing this file
                  pack : packages.vim: Catching LatexSuiteFileType event
                  pack : +Tex_pack_updateall
                  pack : :Tex_pack_updateall: split
                  pack : +Tex_ScanForPackages
                  pack : :Tex_ScanForPackages: Begining scans in [newfile.tex], beginline = 0
                  pack : :Tex_ScanForPackages: beginning scan for \usepackage lines
                  pack : :Tex_ScanForPackages: End scan \usepackage, detected packages =
                  pack : :Tex_ScanForPackages: Beginning scan for \newcommand's
                  pack : :Tex_ScanForPackages: Beginning scan for \newenvironment's
                  pack : -Tex_ScanForPackages
                  pack : :Tex_pack_updateall: detected [] in first run
                  pack : :Tex_pack_updateall: throwing LatexSuiteScannedPackages event
                  pack : -Tex_pack_updateall
                  env : Tex_DoCommand: getting lastword = frac
                  imap : IMAP_PutTextWithMovement: text = [\frac{X^\^N:call
                  IMAP_Mark('set') "_s<+n+>}{<+d+>}<++>^\^N:call IMAP_Mark('go')
                  i^R=IMAP_Jumpfunc('', 1) ]

                  if I go through the exact same process, but rather than just typing frac
                  in newfile.tex, I type:

                  EEQ

                  that puts me in the equation environment, then I type:

                  ((

                  that puts me between a pair of brackets, then I type:

                  frac<f7>

                  my output in vim is:

                  \begin{equation}
                  \left( frac0 \right)<++>
                  \label{<++>}
                  \end{equation}<++>

                  and /tmp/tex.log reads:

[...]
                  imap : Not getting <+ and +> in ^R=Tex_PutEnvironment('equation')
                  imap : IMAP_PutTextWithMovement: text = [\begin{equation} X^\^N:call
                  IMAP_Mark('set') "_s<++> \label{<++>} \end{equation}<++>^\^N:call
                  IMAP_Mark('go') i^R=IMAP_Jumpfunc('', 1) ]
                  imap : IMAP_PutTextWithMovement: text = [\left( X^\^N:call
                  IMAP_Mark('set') "_s<++> \right)<++>^\^N:call IMAP_Mark('go')
                  i^R=IMAP_Jumpfunc('', 1) ]
                  env : Tex_DoCommand: getting lastword =

                  any ideas?

                  Many thanks,