executing maruku (external program) from within vim

  • M
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
      Hi. I apologize if this one could be obvious, but after some googling
      I'm still at odds.

      I need to execute an external program (maruku) on the current buffer/
      file and read its output in a *new buffer*.

      If I do this:

      :r !maruku %

      I get the maruku output, but it is appended below the cursor position
      of the file edited in the vim current buffer.

      How can I have the output redirected to a new buffer (and possibly
      have it selected automatically)?

      TIA

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
        M wrote:
        > Hi. I apologize if this one could be obvious, but after some googling
        > I'm still at odds.
        >
        > I need to execute an external program (maruku) on the current buffer/
        > file and read its output in a *new buffer*.
        >
        > If I do this:
        >
        > :r !maruku %
        >
        > I get the maruku output, but it is appended below the cursor position
        > of the file edited in the vim current buffer.
        >
        > How can I have the output redirected to a new buffer (and possibly
        > have it selected automatically)?
        >
        > TIA

        (untested)

        " split to new empty window
        :new
        " execute ext. program on alternate (i.e. last used) file
        :r !maruku #
        " remove spurious empty first line
        :1d

        Electrocution, n.:
        Burning at the stake with all the modern improvements.

      • M
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
          Thank you!