not posible to change the colour-scheme in VIM for mac

  • MacVlad
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2007
      Hello!

      I'm running the latest version of VIM for Mac on my Mac Mini (PPC)
      under Tiger (MacOS X 10.4) and I discovered that I'm not able to
      change the colours. Every time I choose another colour-scheme VIM
      freezes, only QUIT (Apple/Command - Q) is posible.

      Do you have any advice?

      Thanks!

      Regards,
      Vlad

    • Anthony Lauro
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
        I'm running the latest VIM on a PPC G4 with OS 10.4.10, and color
        schemes work fine. How do you have your .vimrc and .gvimrc setup?
        Note line 91 of the vimrc where the color scheme is set.

      • MacVlad
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
          I have no color or colorscheme command in my .vimrc or .gvimrc files.

          I try only to change the color scheme from the menu (Edit -
          Colorscheme). After this VIM freezes every time! :(

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
            MacVlad wrote:
            > I have no color or colorscheme command in my .vimrc or .gvimrc files.
            >
            > I try only to change the color scheme from the menu (Edit -
            > Colorscheme). After this VIM freezes every time! :(

            Does it also freeze if you try to set a color scheme using the keyboard, e.g.
            by typing

            :colorscheme peachpuff

            (or whatever color scheme you prefer)?

            "If dolphins are so smart, why did Flipper work for television?"

          • sc
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
              On Thursday 01 November 2007 19:55, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
              > MacVlad wrote:
              > > I have no color or colorscheme command in my .vimrc or
              > > .gvimrc files.
              > >
              > > I try only to change the color scheme from the menu (Edit -
              > > Colorscheme). After this VIM freezes every time! :(
              >
              > Does it also freeze if you try to set a color scheme using the
              > keyboard, e.g. by typing
              >
              > :colorscheme peachpuff

              obviously you wouldn't recommend a more manly color to a mac
              user :)

              sc

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
                sc wrote:
                > On Thursday 01 November 2007 19:55, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                >> MacVlad wrote:
                >>> I have no color or colorscheme command in my .vimrc or
                >>> .gvimrc files.
                >>>
                >>> I try only to change the color scheme from the menu (Edit -
                >>> Colorscheme). After this VIM freezes every time! :(
                >> Does it also freeze if you try to set a color scheme using the
                >> keyboard, e.g. by typing
                >>
                >> :colorscheme peachpuff
                >
                > obviously you wouldn't recommend a more manly color to a mac
                > user :)
                >
                > sc

                actually, I tried a few others among those distributed with Vim, and found
                them all ugly. This one was at least bearable. It's all a matter of taste,
                obviously. I didn't ask myself if it was "manly" "womanly" "childish" or whatever.

                My usual colorscheme is one I wrote myself, and it isn't distributed with Vim.

                105. When someone asks you for your address, you tell them your URL.

              • MacVlad
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
                  No, it this case it works! Thanks! But still a little annoying, isn't
                  it (actually a bug)?

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
                    I use also a scheme (vladdark.vim, see below:) I addapt from darkblue.
                    This works very well ... but seems to work only on a PC :-(((

                    If I try to use this color scheme on my mac (with :color vladdark) I
                    get a lot of errors:

                    ---
                    Error detected while processing /Applications/vim70/Vim.app/Contents/
                    Resources/vim/runtime/colors/vladdark.vim:
                    line 20:
                    E492: Not an editor command: ^M
                    line 24:
                    E492: Not an editor command: ^M
                    line 25:
                    E474: Invalid argument: bg=dark^M
                    line 26:
                    E411: highlight group not found: clear^M
                    line 27:
                    E15: Invalid expression: exists("syntax on")^M
                    line 86:
                    E171: Missing :endif
                    ---

                    Do you have any ideas?
                    Thanks in advance!

                    Regards,
                    Vlad

                    P.S. Here is the colorscheme vladdark.vim:

                    ---
                    " Vim color file
                    "
                    " Author: Vlad Ghitulescu
                    "
                    " Inspired/Adapted from darkblue (s.below)
                    " Changes:
                    " - colors_name
                    " - Visual
                    " - IncSearch
                    " - WarningMsg
                    " - LineNr
                    " - Cursor
                    " - Comment
                    "
                    " ----------------------------------------------------
                    "
                    " Maintainer: Bohdan Vlasyuk <bohdan@...>
                    " Last Change: 2006 Apr 30

                    " darkblue -- for those who prefer dark background
                    " [note: looks bit uglier with come terminal palettes,
                    " but is fine on default linux console palette.]

                    set bg=dark
                    hi clear
                    if exists("syntax_on")
                    syntax reset
                    endif

                    "let colors_name = "darkblue"
                    let colors_name = "vladdark"

                    hi Normal guifg=#c0c0c0 guibg=#000040 ctermfg=gray ctermbg=black
                    hi ErrorMsg guifg=#ffffff guibg=#287eff ctermfg=white
                    ctermbg=lightblue
                    "hi Visual guifg=#8080ff guibg=fg gui=reverse ctermfg=lightblue
                    ctermbg=fg cterm=reverse
                    hi Visual guifg=yellow guibg=darkblue gui=bold,reverse
                    hi VisualNOS guifg=#8080ff guibg=fg gui=reverse,underline
                    ctermfg=lightblue ctermbg=fg cterm=reverse,underline
                    hi Todo guifg=#d14a14 guibg=#1248d1 ctermfg=red
                    ctermbg=darkblue
                    "hi Search guifg=#90fff0 guibg=#2050d0 ctermfg=white
                    ctermbg=darkblue cterm=underline term=underline
                    hi Search guifg=orange guibg=darkblue gui=bold,reverse
                    "hi IncSearch guifg=#b0ffff guibg=#2050d0 ctermfg=darkblue
                    ctermbg=gray
                    hi IncSearch guifg=orange guibg=darkblue

                    hi SpecialKey guifg=cyan ctermfg=darkcyan
                    hi Directory guifg=cyan ctermfg=cyan
                    hi Title guifg=magenta gui=none ctermfg=magenta cterm=bold
                    "hi WarningMsg guifg=red ctermfg=red
                    hi WarningMsg guifg=yellow guibg=red gui=bold,reverse
                    hi WildMenu guifg=yellow guibg=black ctermfg=yellow ctermbg=black
                    cterm=none term=none
                    hi ModeMsg guifg=#22cce2 ctermfg=lightblue
                    hi MoreMsg ctermfg=darkgreen ctermfg=darkgreen
                    hi Question guifg=green gui=none ctermfg=green cterm=none
                    hi NonText guifg=#0030ff ctermfg=darkblue

                    hi StatusLine guifg=blue guibg=darkgray gui=none ctermfg=blue
                    ctermbg=gray term=none cterm=none
                    hi StatusLineNC guifg=black guibg=darkgray gui=none ctermfg=black
                    ctermbg=gray term=none cterm=none
                    hi VertSplit guifg=black guibg=darkgray gui=none ctermfg=black
                    ctermbg=gray term=none cterm=none

                    "hi Folded guifg=#808080 guibg=#000040 ctermfg=darkgrey
                    ctermbg=black cterm=bold term=bold
                    hi Folded guifg=#808080 guibg=#000040 gui=bold,reverse
                    hi FoldColumn guifg=#808080 guibg=#000040 ctermfg=darkgrey
                    ctermbg=black cterm=bold term=bold
                    "hi LineNr guifg=#90f020 ctermfg=green cterm=none
                    hi LineNr guifg=slateblue guibg=lightblue gui=reverse

                    hi DiffAdd guibg=darkblue ctermbg=darkblue term=none cterm=none
                    hi DiffChange guibg=darkmagenta ctermbg=magenta cterm=none
                    hi DiffDelete ctermfg=blue ctermbg=cyan gui=bold guifg=Blue
                    guibg=DarkCyan
                    hi DiffText cterm=bold ctermbg=red gui=bold guibg=Red

                    "hi Cursor guifg=black guibg=yellow ctermfg=black ctermbg=yellow
                    hi Cursor guifg=green guibg=red
                    hi lCursor guifg=black guibg=white ctermfg=black ctermbg=white

                    "hi Comment guifg=#80a0ff ctermfg=darkred
                    hi Comment guifg=orange gui=bold
                    hi Constant ctermfg=magenta guifg=#ffa0a0 cterm=none
                    hi Special ctermfg=brown guifg=Orange cterm=none gui=none
                    hi Identifier ctermfg=cyan guifg=#40ffff cterm=none
                    hi Statement ctermfg=yellow cterm=none guifg=#ffff60 gui=none
                    hi PreProc ctermfg=magenta guifg=#ff80ff gui=none cterm=none
                    hi type ctermfg=green guifg=#60ff60 gui=none cterm=none
                    hi Underlined cterm=underline term=underline
                    hi Ignore guifg=bg ctermfg=bg
                    ---

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
                      MacVlad wrote:
                      > On Nov 2, 1:55 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >> MacVlad wrote:
                      >>> I have no color or colorscheme command in my .vimrc or .gvimrc files.
                      >>> I try only to change the color scheme from the menu (Edit -
                      >>> Colorscheme). After this VIM freezes every time! :(
                      >> Does it also freeze if you try to set a color scheme using the keyboard, e.g.
                      >> by typing
                      >>
                      >> :colorscheme peachpuff
                      >>
                      >> (or whatever color scheme you prefer)?
                      >>
                      >> Best regards,
                      >> Tony.

                      > No, it this case it works! Thanks! But still a little annoying, isn't
                      > it (actually a bug)?

                      Well, I guess it's a bug, but it could be a bug with the menus rather than
                      with the ":colorscheme" command.

                      Vim can use the menus and the mouse, but its strength has always been its
                      keyboard-driven interface. I'm not saying, like others do, that you should
                      never use the mouse with Vim, nor even the arrow keys; but they're just icing
                      on the cake, they make some actions easier but they aren't absolutely necessary.

                      Anyway, now that we know that you can use the ":colorscheme" command, if you
                      find a color scheme particularly pleasing, you can set it by default by adding
                      the appropriate line yo your vimrc.

                      And so, men, we can see that human skin is an even more complex and
                      fascinating organ than we thought it was, and if we want to keep it
                      looking good, we have to care for it as though it were our own. One
                      approach is to undergo a painful surgical procedure wherein your skin
                      is turned inside-out, so the young cells are on the outside, but then
                      of course you have the unpleasant side effect that your insides
                      gradually fill up with dead old cells and you explode. So this
                      procedure is pretty much limited to top Hollywood stars for whom
                      youthful beauty is a career necessity, such as Elizabeth Taylor and
                      Orson Welles.
                      -- Dave Barry, "Saving Face"

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
                        MacVlad wrote:
                        > I use also a scheme (vladdark.vim, see below:) I addapt from darkblue.
                        > This works very well ... but seems to work only on a PC :-(((
                        >
                        > If I try to use this color scheme on my mac (with :color vladdark) I
                        > get a lot of errors:
                        >
                        > ---
                        > Error detected while processing /Applications/vim70/Vim.app/Contents/
                        > Resources/vim/runtime/colors/vladdark.vim:
                        > line 20:
                        > E492: Not an editor command: ^M
                        > line 24:
                        > E492: Not an editor command: ^M
                        > line 25:
                        > E474: Invalid argument: bg=dark^M
                        > line 26:
                        > E411: highlight group not found: clear^M
                        > line 27:
                        > E15: Invalid expression: exists("syntax on")^M
                        > line 86:
                        > E171: Missing :endif
                        > ---
                        >
                        > Do you have any ideas?
                        > Thanks in advance!
                        >

                        > Regards,
                        > Vlad

                        These errors mean that your script has dos-like ends-of-lines in some lines,
                        and that it's being run on a program version which doesn't recognise them.

                        Try the following:

                        1. Move the script to $HOME/.vim/colors (creating that directory if it doesn't
                        exist), because in $VIMRUNTIME/colors it will be lost once you upgrate to Vim
                        7.1 (which I recommend doing).

                        2. Open it for editing with

                        :e ++ff=dos ~/.vim/colors/vladdark.vim

                        There should be no ^M at the end of the lines.

                        3. Correct the error at line 27, which uses an invalid construct:

                        :27s/exists("syntax on")/has("syntax")

                        4. Save it with

                        :setlocal ff=unix
                        :wq

                        From then on, this new version should work with any version of Vim. If it
                        still gives errors, they should be genuine: e.g. if the error at line 87 still
                        appears, check that your ifs and endifs are correctly balanced.

                        106. When told to "go to your room" you inform your parents that you
                        can't...because you were kicked out and banned.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
                          Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                          > MacVlad wrote:
                          >> I use also a scheme (vladdark.vim, see below:) I addapt from darkblue.
                          >> This works very well ... but seems to work only on a PC :-(((
                          >>
                          >> If I try to use this color scheme on my mac (with :color vladdark) I
                          >> get a lot of errors:
                          >>
                          >> ---
                          >> Error detected while processing /Applications/vim70/Vim.app/Contents/
                          >> Resources/vim/runtime/colors/vladdark.vim:
                          >> line 20:
                          >> E492: Not an editor command: ^M
                          >> line 24:
                          >> E492: Not an editor command: ^M
                          >> line 25:
                          >> E474: Invalid argument: bg=dark^M
                          >> line 26:
                          >> E411: highlight group not found: clear^M
                          >> line 27:
                          >> E15: Invalid expression: exists("syntax on")^M
                          >> line 86:
                          >> E171: Missing :endif
                          >> ---
                          >>
                          >> Do you have any ideas?
                          >> Thanks in advance!
                          >>

                          >> Regards,
                          >> Vlad
                          >
                          > These errors mean that your script has dos-like ends-of-lines in some lines,
                          > and that it's being run on a program version which doesn't recognise them.
                          >
                          > Try the following:
                          >
                          > 1. Move the script to $HOME/.vim/colors (creating that directory if it doesn't
                          > exist), because in $VIMRUNTIME/colors it will be lost once you upgrate to Vim
                          > 7.1 (which I recommend doing).
                          >
                          > 2. Open it for editing with
                          >
                          > :e ++ff=dos ~/.vim/colors/vladdark.vim
                          >
                          > There should be no ^M at the end of the lines.
                          >
                          > 3. Correct the error at line 27, which uses an invalid construct:
                          >
                          > :27s/exists("syntax on")/has("syntax")

                          Oops, sorry, ignore this #3. The statement, with exists("syntax_on") and with
                          an underscore between syntax and on, is correct as it stands. The problem is
                          the Dos-like end-of-line, which #2 and #4 should cure.

                          --
                          A remarkable race are the Persians;
                          They have such peculiar diversions.

                        • MacVlad
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 3, 2007
                            Thanks, Tony, it works now!
                            Following your advice I've made also a folder named "plugin" in ".vim"
                            to store the 3 plugins that I use frequently (visincr, bufexplorer and
                            showmarks).

                            Regards,
                            Vlad

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 3, 2007
                              MacVlad wrote:
                              > Thanks, Tony, it works now!
                              > Following your advice I've made also a folder named "plugin" in ".vim"
                              > to store the 3 plugins that I use frequently (visincr, bufexplorer and
                              > showmarks).
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              > Vlad

                              I hope you did _not_ change line 27: my point 3 was, as I said in a follow-up
                              post, in error.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 3, 2007
                                :-)
                                No, everything is ok, I understood! :-)