Echofunc and Python

  • François Beaubert
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 24, 2007

      I'm trying the echofunc script on small python script but I'm unable to make
      it work.

      In the directory where my python files are I just do:

      ctags --fields=+S *

      to have the signatures of my functions

      But nothing inside vim (no Ballon declaration or Echo Func)

      I'm using vim version 7.0.235 and echofunc 1.10

      I'm doing something wrong or this script don't work with python ?

      --
      François BEAUBERT
      ENSIAME/LME

      --
      Ce message a �t� v�rifi� par MailScanner
      suspect n'a �t� trouv�.

      --
      François BEAUBERT
      ENSIAME/LME
      Bureau A9
      Université de Valenciennes - Le Mont Houy - 59313 Valenciennes Cedex 9
      Téléphone: (0/33)3 27 51 19 72
      Télécopie: (0/33)3 27 51 19 61
      Mel: francois.beaubert@...

      --
      Ce message a �t� v�rifi� par MailScanner
      suspect n'a �t� trouv�.

    • Yongwei Wu
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 26, 2007
        Hi François,

        On 24/10/2007, François Beaubert <francois.beaubert@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm trying the echofunc script on small python script but I'm unable to make
        > it work.
        >
        > In the directory where my python files are I just do:
        >
        > ctags --fields=+S *
        >
        > to have the signatures of my functions
        >
        > But nothing inside vim (no Ballon declaration or Echo Func)
        >
        > I'm using vim version 7.0.235 and echofunc 1.10
        >
        > I'm doing something wrong or this script don't work with python ?

        EchoFunc has no special support for Python (Bill and I do not do
        Python). However, I do not see why it should not work---and it works
        in my simple test. Please check again the following before we continue
        on this topic:

        * Does the ":tag" command work on your functions?
        * Does EchoFunc work if you manually switch it on by ":call
        EchoFuncStart()" and ":call BalloonDeclarationStart()"?
        * Do you define g:EchoFuncTagsLanguages to limit the languages where
        EchoFunc works?

        Best regards,

        Yongwei

        --
        Wu Yongwei

      • Francois
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 26, 2007
          Hi Yongwei,

          Tank you very much for your answer.
          I apologize if this question seems stupid but I'm not very familiar
          with vim nor with tag.

          I've tried what you suggested:

          :tag don't work E73: tag stack empty

          humm I think it's not good

          indeed a :call EchoFuncStart()" and ":call BalloonDeclarationStart()"
          does nothing when I try to show the echo function

          and no the EchoFuncTagsLanguages is not defined

          Thank you for your help

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 26, 2007
            Please notice that the Vim mailing list prefers bottom-posting.

            On 26/10/2007, Francois <Francois.Beaubert@...> wrote:

            > Hi Yongwei,
            >
            > Tank you very much for your answer.
            > I apologize if this question seems stupid but I'm not very familiar
            > with vim nor with tag.
            >
            > I've tried what you suggested:
            >
            > :tag don't work E73: tag stack empty

            No, I mean something like

            :tag YourPythonMethod

            Check ":help :tag" if you do not know what it does. This must work
            for EchoFunc to work.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 26, 2007
              On Oct 26, 2:37 pm, "Yongwei Wu" <wuyong...@...> wrote:
              > No, I mean something like
              >
              > :tag YourPythonMethod

              Ok I've tried it and this jump me to the definition of the function
              with the information in my tags file
              I think it works as expected

              > Best regards,

              Thank you Yongwei

            • Yongwei Wu
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 26, 2007
                On 26/10/2007, Francois <Francois.Beaubert@...> wrote:

                > On Oct 26, 2:37 pm, "Yongwei Wu" <wuyong...@...> wrote:
                > > No, I mean something like
                > >
                > > :tag YourPythonMethod
                >
                > Ok I've tried it and this jump me to the definition of the function
                > with the information in my tags file
                > I think it works as expected

                Then Ctags works, and I need more information what you meant that it
                does not work. Do you mean you cannot see any balloon tips or
                something else?

                This is what I did to test:

                1) Enter C:\Python24\Lib
                2) ctags --fields=+S xmllib.py
                3) gvim xmllib.py
                4) :call BalloonDeclarationStart()
                5) Move the mousr cursor over "reset", and I can see the balloon tip
                "reset (1/1) xmllib.py".

                Since there is no "signature" created for the method, and the type of
                "reset" is m(ember) instead of p(rototype) or f(unction), EchoFunc
                does not work very well in this case. If this is exactly what you
                see, then regretfully this is the current status, and only a future
                version of EchoFunc may improve the Python support.

                If you are able to add some code to enhance EchoFunc, it will be
                greatly appreciated.

                Best regards,

                Yongwei

                --
                Wu Yongwei

              • Francois
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 26, 2007
                  On 26 oct, 16:41, "Yongwei Wu" <wuyong...@...> wrote:
                  > Then Ctags works, and I need more information what you meant that it
                  > does not work. Do you mean you cannot see any balloon tips or
                  > something else?

                  Yes that's it: no echo Func for me

                  > This is what I did to test:
                  >
                  > 1) Enter C:\Python24\Lib
                  > 2) ctags --fields=+S xmllib.py
                  > 3) gvim xmllib.py
                  > 4) :call BalloonDeclarationStart()
                  > 5) Move the mousr cursor over "reset", and I can see the balloon tip
                  > "reset (1/1) xmllib.py".

                  I've just tried what you said on the pc of my girlfriend on windows
                  and it works for the ballontip

                  > Since there is no "signature" created for the method, and the type of
                  > "reset" is m(ember) instead of p(rototype) or f(unction), EchoFunc
                  > does not work very well in this case. If this is exactly what you
                  > see,

                  Ok I understand now ...

                  > then regretfully this is the current status, and only a future
                  > version of EchoFunc may improve the Python support.

                  Thank you. I've tried your script on C++ files it works like a charm
                  Very helpfull script !!!

                  > If you are able to add some code to enhance EchoFunc, it will be
                  > greatly appreciated.

                  I'm sorry but my knowledge of vim and python is at present time too
                  limited
                  Hope to be able to contribute later

                  > Best regards,

                  Thank you so much Yongwei for your help
                  Have a nice day

                  Francois

                • Yongwei Wu
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
                    On 26/10/2007, Yongwei Wu <wuyongwei@...> wrote:
                    > Since there is no "signature" created for the method, and the type of
                    > "reset" is m(ember) instead of p(rototype) or f(unction), EchoFunc
                    > does not work very well in this case. If this is exactly what you
                    > see, then regretfully this is the current status, and only a future
                    > version of EchoFunc may improve the Python support.

                    I've just released a new version, and hopefully it solves your problem.

                    Yongwei

                    --
                    Wu Yongwei

                  • François Beaubert