quit doesn't work at more prompt

  • Hari Krishna Dara
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
      I have a very new Vim version and noticed that pressing "q" or "^C" at
      the more prompt no longer terminates early. This used to be a problem in
      an older Vim so it seems like a regression. To reproduce, start a gvim
      with -u NONE option and type in the following:

      for i in range(1, 100)
      echomsg i
      endfor
      set more
      messages

      --
      Thanks,
      Hari

    • scott
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
        Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
        > I have a very new Vim version and noticed that pressing "q" or "^C" at
        > the more prompt no longer terminates early. This used to be a problem in
        > an older Vim so it seems like a regression. To reproduce, start a gvim
        > with -u NONE option and type in the following:
        >
        > for i in range(1, 100)
        > echomsg i
        > endfor
        > set more
        > messages

        quit quit early for me

        suse linux 10.2; vim 7.1.130

        sc

      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
          Hari Krishna Dara wrote:

          > I have a very new Vim version and noticed that pressing "q" or "^C" at
          > the more prompt no longer terminates early. This used to be a problem in
          > an older Vim so it seems like a regression. To reproduce, start a gvim
          > with -u NONE option and type in the following:
          >
          > for i in range(1, 100)
          > echomsg i
          > endfor
          > set more
          > messages

          I can't reproduce it. Do you mean that when pressing "q" Vim still
          lists the following messages? ":version" output?

          --
          BLACK KNIGHT: I'm invincible!
          ARTHUR: You're a looney.

        • Suresh Govindachar
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
            Bram wrote:

            > I can't reproduce it. Do you mean that when
            > pressing "q" Vim still lists the following
            > messages? ":version" output?

            How about:

            gvim -u NONE -U NONE --noplugin

            open a file with lots of lines
            ggyG
            :set more
            :Perl VIM::Msg(VIM::Eval('@"'))

            At the more prompt q, <esc>, ^C do not work.

            NOTE: more from echo @" works as before

            There is probably a python'ish way to reporduce the bug.

            --Suresh

          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
              Hari Krishna Dara wrote:

              > Bram wrote:
              >
              > > I can't reproduce it. Do you mean that when
              > > pressing "q" Vim still lists the following
              > > messages? ":version" output?
              >
              > How about:
              >
              > gvim -u NONE -U NONE --noplugin
              >
              > open a file with lots of lines
              > ggyG
              > :set more
              > :Perl VIM::Msg(VIM::Eval('@"'))
              >
              > At the more prompt q, <esc>, ^C do not work.
              >
              > NOTE: more from echo @" works as before
              >
              > There is probably a python'ish way to reporduce the bug.

              That reveals a problem in the Perl code, not anywhere else. Quitting at
              the more prompt means a loop must be quit, and there are many loops
              where this needs to be done. You found one in the Perl code, but that
              doesn't reveal the original problem you were trying to reproduce.

              This is the fix for the Perl code:

              *** ../vim-7.1.135/src/if_perl.xs Sat Sep 15 14:48:57 2007
              --- src/if_perl.xs Wed Oct 3 17:00:16 2007
              ***************
              *** 445,457 ****
              char *next;
              char *token = (char *)s;

              ! while ((next = strchr(token, '\n')))
              {
              *next++ = '\0'; /* replace \n with \0 */
              msg_attr((char_u *)token, attr);
              token = next;
              }
              ! if (*token)
              msg_attr((char_u *)token, attr);
              }

              --- 445,457 ----
              char *next;
              char *token = (char *)s;

              ! while ((next = strchr(token, '\n')) && !got_int)
              {
              *next++ = '\0'; /* replace \n with \0 */
              msg_attr((char_u *)token, attr);
              token = next;
              }
              ! if (*token && !got_int)
              msg_attr((char_u *)token, attr);
              }

              --
              CRONE: Who sent you?
              ARTHUR: The Knights Who Say GNU!

            • Suresh Govindachar
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
                Bram wrote:

                > That reveals a problem in the Perl code, not anywhere
                > else. Quitting at the more prompt means a loop must be
                > quit, and there are many loops where this needs to be
                > done. You found one in the Perl code, but that doesn't
                > reveal the original problem you were trying to reproduce.

                (Hari's original counter-example did not show the bug for
                me; I sent the perl counter-example.)

                I pasted the patch and it fixed the problem.

                Thanks,

                --Suresh

              • Hari Krishna Dara
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
                  On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 at 11:54am, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                  > Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
                  >
                  >> I have a very new Vim version and noticed that pressing "q" or "^C" at
                  >> the more prompt no longer terminates early. This used to be a problem in
                  >> an older Vim so it seems like a regression. To reproduce, start a gvim
                  >> with -u NONE option and type in the following:
                  >>
                  >> for i in range(1, 100)
                  >> echomsg i
                  >> endfor
                  >> set more
                  >> messages
                  >
                  > I can't reproduce it. Do you mean that when pressing "q" Vim still
                  > lists the following messages? ":version" output?

                  Yes, q and <C-C> are ignored and are interpreted as <CR>. There seems to
                  be some inconsistency though, as sometimes it quits after pressing q a
                  couple of times, but other times it goes through all the pages. It is
                  the release version of 7.1 compiled by you for windows. Here is the
                  version output:

                  -xfontset -xim -xterm_save +xpm_w32
                  system vimrc file: "$VIM\vimrc"
                  user vimrc file: "$HOME\_vimrc"
                  2nd user vimrc file: "$VIM\_vimrc"
                  user exrc file: "$HOME\_exrc"
                  2nd user exrc file: "$VIM\_exrc"
                  system gvimrc file: "$VIM\gvimrc"
                  user gvimrc file: "$HOME\_gvimrc"
                  2nd user gvimrc file: "$VIM\_gvimrc"
                  system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME\menu.vim"
                  Compilation: cl -c /W3 /nologo -D_MT -MT -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_PATHDEF -DWIN32 -
                  DFEAT_CSCOPE -DFEAT_NETBEANS_INTG -DFEAT_XPM_W32 -DWINVER=0x0400 -D_WIN32_WI
                  NNT=0x0400 /Fo.\ObjGOLYTR/ /Ox -DNDEBUG -DFEAT_OLE -DFEAT_MBYTE_IME -DDYNAMIC_
                  IME -DFEAT_GUI_W32 -DDYNAMIC_ICONV -DDYNAMIC_GETTEXT -DFEAT_TCL -DDYNAMIC_TCL -D
                  DYNAMIC_TCL_DLL=\"tcl83.dll\" -DDYNAMIC_TCL_VER=\"8.3\" -DFEAT_PYTHON -DDYNAMIC_
                  PYTHON -DDYNAMIC_PYTHON_DLL=\"python24.dll\" -DFEAT_PERL -DDYNAMIC_PERL -DDYNAMI
                  C_PERL_DLL=\"perl58.dll\" -DFEAT_RUBY -DDYNAMIC_RUBY -DDYNAMIC_RUBY_VER=18 -DDYN
                  AMIC_RUBY_DLL=\"msvcrt-ruby18.dll\" -DFEAT_BIG /Zi /Fd.\ObjGOLYTR/
                  Linking: link /RELEASE /nologo /subsystem:windows /incremental:no /nodefaultlib:
                  libc advapi32.lib shell32.lib gdi32.lib comdlg32.lib ole32.lib uuid.lib oldnames
                  .lib kernel32.lib gdi32.lib version.lib winspool.lib comctl32.lib advapi32.lib
                  shell32.lib /machine:i386 /nodefaultlib libcmt.lib oleaut32.lib user32.lib
                  /nodefaultlib:python24.lib e:\tcl\lib\tclstub83.lib WSock32.lib e:\xpm\lib\l
                  ibXpm.lib /PDB:gvim.pdb -debug

                  --
                  Thanks,
                  Hari

                • Bram Moolenaar
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
                    Hari Krishna Dara wrote:

                    > >> I have a very new Vim version and noticed that pressing "q" or "^C" at
                    > >> the more prompt no longer terminates early. This used to be a problem in
                    > >> an older Vim so it seems like a regression. To reproduce, start a gvim
                    > >> with -u NONE option and type in the following:
                    > >>
                    > >> for i in range(1, 100)
                    > >> echomsg i
                    > >> endfor
                    > >> set more
                    > >> messages
                    > >
                    > > I can't reproduce it. Do you mean that when pressing "q" Vim still
                    > > lists the following messages? ":version" output?
                    >
                    > Yes, q and <C-C> are ignored and are interpreted as <CR>. There seems to
                    > be some inconsistency though, as sometimes it quits after pressing q a
                    > couple of times, but other times it goes through all the pages. It is
                    > the release version of 7.1 compiled by you for windows. Here is the
                    > version output:
                    >
                    > -xfontset -xim -xterm_save +xpm_w32
                    > system vimrc file: "$VIM\vimrc"
                    > user vimrc file: "$HOME\_vimrc"
                    > 2nd user vimrc file: "$VIM\_vimrc"
                    [...]

                    The first part is missing...

                    --
                    Back off man, I'm a scientist.
                    -- Peter, Ghostbusters

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
                      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                      >>> I can't reproduce it. Do you mean that when pressing "q" Vim still
                      >>> lists the following messages? ":version" output?
                      >> Yes, q and <C-C> are ignored and are interpreted as <CR>. There seems to
                      >> be some inconsistency though, as sometimes it quits after pressing q a
                      >> couple of times, but other times it goes through all the pages. It is
                      >> the release version of 7.1 compiled by you for windows. Here is the
                      >> version output:
                      >>
                      >> -xfontset -xim -xterm_save +xpm_w32
                      >> system vimrc file: "$VIM\vimrc"
                      >> user vimrc file: "$HOME\_vimrc"
                      >> 2nd user vimrc file: "$VIM\_vimrc"
                      > [...]
                      >
                      > The first part is missing...

                      If it's "7.1 compiled by Bram for Windows" I suppose it is the 7.1.0 from
                      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/ . But which one of them? There are six binaries
                      there:

                      gvim for W3.1 + win32s
                      gvim for W32 without OLE
                      gvim for W32 with OLE
                      vim for W32 console
                      vim for Dos32 console (protected mode)
                      vim for Dos16 console (real mode)

                      In any case, Hari, you may find it to your advantage to install Steve Hall's
                      Vim for Windows from
                      https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721
                      -- the latest version available there is (at the time of this writing)
                      7.1.130. See the corresponding ":version" listing at
                      https://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?group_id=43866&release_id=543752

                      You couldn't even prove the White House staff sane beyond a reasonable
                      doubt.
                      -- Ed Meese, on the Hinckley verdict

                    • Hari Krishna Dara
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 3, 2007
                        On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 at 10:52pm, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                        >>> I can't reproduce it. Do you mean that when pressing "q" Vim still
                        >>> lists the following messages? ":version" output?
                        >>
                        >> Yes, q and <C-C> are ignored and are interpreted as <CR>. There seems to
                        >> be some inconsistency though, as sometimes it quits after pressing q a
                        >> couple of times, but other times it goes through all the pages. It is
                        >> the release version of 7.1 compiled by you for windows. Here is the
                        >> version output:
                        >>
                        >> -xfontset -xim -xterm_save +xpm_w32
                        >> system vimrc file: "$VIM\vimrc"
                        >> user vimrc file: "$HOME\_vimrc"
                        >> 2nd user vimrc file: "$VIM\_vimrc"
                        > [...]
                        >
                        > The first part is missing...

                        Sorry, must have fat-fingered or something, here it goes again:

                        VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled May 12 2007 14:19:39)
                        MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version with OLE support
                        Compiled by Bram@KIBAALE
                        Big version with GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                        +arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset
                        +cindent
                        +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
                        +comments
                        +cryptv +cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -dnd
                        -ebcdic
                        +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path
                        +find_in_path
                        +folding -footer +gettext/dyn -hangul_input +iconv/dyn +insert_expand
                        +jumplist
                        +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap
                        +menu
                        +mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape +multi_byte_ime/dyn
                        +multi_lang
                        -mzscheme +netbeans_intg +ole -osfiletype +path_extra +perl/dyn
                        -postscript
                        +printer -profile +python/dyn +quickfix +reltime +rightleft +ruby/dyn
                        +scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
                        +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white +tcl/dyn -tgetent
                        -termresponse
                        +textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit
                        +visual
                        +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows
                        +writebackup

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 4, 2007
                          Hari Krishna Dara wrote:

                          > >> Yes, q and <C-C> are ignored and are interpreted as <CR>. There seems to
                          > >> be some inconsistency though, as sometimes it quits after pressing q a
                          > >> couple of times, but other times it goes through all the pages. It is
                          > >> the release version of 7.1 compiled by you for windows. Here is the
                          > >> version output:
                          > >>
                          > >> -xfontset -xim -xterm_save +xpm_w32
                          > >> system vimrc file: "$VIM\vimrc"
                          > >> user vimrc file: "$HOME\_vimrc"
                          > >> 2nd user vimrc file: "$VIM\_vimrc"
                          > > [...]
                          > >
                          > > The first part is missing...
                          > >

                          > Sorry, must have fat-fingered or something, here it goes again:
                          >

                          > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled May 12 2007 14:19:39)
                          > MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version with OLE support

                          This problem was fixed in patch 7.1.106.

                          --
                          Are leaders born or made? And if they're made, can we return them under
                          warranty?