Re: Anything new on Vim with Outlook

  • David Fishburn
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
      On 9/13/07, David Fishburn <dfishburn.vim@...> wrote:
      > On 9/13/07, Curtis Ballard <google@...> wrote:

      > I am also completely writing this plugin from scratch using VS 2005.
      > Most of it is working, but I am incorporating other things as I learn
      > how to actually write an Outlook Add-In.
      >
      > I hope to add this to the cubiclevim project (I was added as a
      > developer of it) when I get things working better than they are now.
      >
      > When I get something that is worthy of a beta, I will post a message
      > on the list.

      The time has arrived!

      I completely rewrote the Outlook AddIn.
      I have added a Vim Toolbar with New, Reply, Reply To All and Forward.
      If you open an email, the Inspector window has a Edit button to send
      the email to Vim.

      I have created a new .vim script which will handle updating Outlook
      once you have saved or cancelled the message.

      This also ties into Vim's filetypes, so you can customize what Vim
      does when a new message is being edited.

      Please let me know if you would like a copy, it even has an installer!

      Dave

    • Suresh Govindachar
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
        On Oct 1, 07 David Fishburn wrote:
        > On 9/13/07, David Fishburn <dfishburn.vim@...> wrote:
        >> On 9/13/07, Curtis Ballard <google@...> wrote:

        >> I am also completely writing this plugin from scratch using VS 2005.
        >> Most of it is working, but I am incorporating other things as I learn
        >> how to actually write an Outlook Add-In.
        >>
        >> I hope to add this to the cubiclevim project (I was added as a
        >> developer of it) when I get things working better than they are now.
        >>
        >> When I get something that is worthy of a beta, I will post a message
        >> on the list.
        >
        > The time has arrived!
        >
        > I completely rewrote the Outlook AddIn.
        >
        > I have added a Vim Toolbar with New, Reply, Reply To All and
        > Forward.
        >
        > If you open an email, the Inspector window has a Edit button to
        > send the email to Vim.

        What is the "Inspector window"?

        Is the following description form the website
        http://cubiclevim.sourceforge.net accurate?:

        | CubicleVim works by copying the message text to a temporary
        | text file, invoking an instance of Vim to edit the temporary
        | file, and then pushing the contents of the edited file back
        | to Outlook.

        If not, what is the mechanism?

        If so: Suppose a user starts from Outlook and gets into vim. What
        is outlook doing while the user is editing in Vim? Is it in an
        infinite loop waiting for a "quit" message from Vim to then go and
        read the temporary file?

        create temporary file
        launch vim on temporary file
        while(1)
        Is there a quit message from vim?
        If so, exit while loop
        end-while
        read temporary file

        If outlook is not in such a while loop, how exactly does it know
        when it is OK to read the temporary file?

        If it is in such a while loop, have you noticed what happens to
        the CPU usage and to Outlook interaction while vim is open with
        the temporary file?

        > I have created a new .vim script which will handle updating
        > Outlook once you have saved or cancelled the message.
        >
        > This also ties into Vim's filetypes, so you can customize what
        > Vim does when a new message is being edited.
        >
        > Please let me know if you would like a copy, it even has an
        > installer!

      • John Beckett
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
          David Fishburn wrote:
          > I completely rewrote the Outlook AddIn.

          Interesting project! Have you thought about handling Vim's modelines?

          I have followed the potential for security breaches caused by a malicious
          modeline with some interest. Someone using the current Vim version should be
          secure (although an email might attempt a joke by setting options to give a
          strange appearance to the message).

          However, some old Vim versions (like Vim 7.0), or some unknown
          vulnerability, might cause havoc if Vim were used to view a malicious email.

          I'm told that Vim disables modelines when viewing email in some existing
          systems. That might be something for you to consider.

          John