How to do column operations within VIM?

  • xz
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
      I did this before but do not remember how.
      What is frustrating is I cannot google it out :(
      Anybody tell me how to do this?

    • Charles E Campbell Jr
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
        xz wrote:

        >I did this before but do not remember how.
        >What is frustrating is I cannot google it out :(
        >Anybody tell me how to do this?

        Look into using vis.vim; with it, you can

        visual-block select (:help visual-block)
        :B any-ex-operation

        and the results will be restricted to the selected column.

        You can get vis.vim from:

        http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1195 (stable)
        http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#VIS
        (cutting edge)

        To install if you're using vim7.1:

        1. Install a new version of vis:
        vim vis.vba.gz
        :so %
        :q

        To install if you're using vim7.0:

        1. Get an up-to-date version of vimball:

        http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1502
        -or- http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#VimBall
        (the mysite.verizon.net one will be the more recent version)

        2) Remove the old vimball plugin and install the new one:

        Linux:
        cd /usr/local/share/vim/vim70
        /bin/rm plugin/vimball*.vim autoload/vimball*.vim
        doc/pi_vimball.txt
        mv (wherever it was downloaded)/vimball.tar.gz .
        gunzip vimball.tar.gz
        tar -xvf vimball.tar

        Windows:

        Under Windows, check your runtimepath to determine where
        your vim 7.0's
        runtime directories are:

        vim
        :echo &rtp
        :q

        The first directory is likely your personal plugins
        directory, the second
        one is your vim system directory.

        cd (to your vim system directory)
        del plugin\vimballPlugin.vim
        del autoload\vimball.vim
        del doc\pi_vimball.txt
        ren (wherever)\vimball.tar.gz vimball.tar.gz
        gunzip vimball.tar.gz
        tar -xvf vimball.tar

        3) Install a new version of vis:
        vim vis.vba.gz
        :so %
        :q

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell

      • xz
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
          On Oct 1, 2:47 pm, Charles E Campbell Jr <drc...@...>
          wrote:
          > xz wrote:
          > >I did this before but do not remember how.
          > >What is frustrating is I cannot google it out :(
          > >Anybody tell me how to do this?
          >
          > Look into using vis.vim; with it, you can
          >
          > visual-block select (:help visual-block)
          > :B any-ex-operation
          >
          > and the results will be restricted to the selected column.
          >
          > You can get vis.vim from:
          >
          > http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1195 (stable)
          > http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#VIS
          > (cutting edge)
          >
          > To install if you're using vim7.1:
          >
          > 1. Install a new version of vis:
          > vim vis.vba.gz
          > :so %
          > :q
          >
          > To install if you're using vim7.0:
          >
          > 1. Get an up-to-date version of vimball:
          >
          > http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1502
          > -or- http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#VimBall
          > (the mysite.verizon.net one will be the more recent version)
          >
          > 2) Remove the old vimball plugin and install the new one:
          >
          > Linux:
          > cd /usr/local/share/vim/vim70
          > /bin/rm plugin/vimball*.vim autoload/vimball*.vim
          > doc/pi_vimball.txt
          > mv (wherever it was downloaded)/vimball.tar.gz .
          > gunzip vimball.tar.gz
          > tar -xvf vimball.tar
          >
          > Windows:
          >
          > Under Windows, check your runtimepath to determine where
          > your vim 7.0's
          > runtime directories are:
          >
          > vim
          > :echo &rtp
          > :q
          >
          > The first directory is likely your personal plugins
          > directory, the second
          > one is your vim system directory.
          >
          > cd (to your vim system directory)
          > del plugin\vimballPlugin.vim
          > del autoload\vimball.vim
          > del doc\pi_vimball.txt
          > ren (wherever)\vimball.tar.gz vimball.tar.gz
          > gunzip vimball.tar.gz
          > tar -xvf vimball.tar
          >
          > 3) Install a new version of vis:
          > vim vis.vba.gz
          > :so %
          > :q
          >
          > Regards,
          > Chip Campbell

          Thanks for the reply.
          But.... no internal way?

        • Charles E Campbell Jr
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
            xz wrote:

            >Thanks for the reply.
            >But.... no internal way?

            Guess why the plugin was written!

            Chip Campbell

          • Tim Chase
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
              >>> I did this before but do not remember how.
              >>> What is frustrating is I cannot google it out :(
              >>> Anybody tell me how to do this?
              >> Look into using vis.vim; with it, you can
              [snipped long answer from Dr. Chip]

              > Thanks for the reply.
              > But.... no internal way?

              I think Dr. Chip may have given you the $5 answer to what may
              have been a $0.05 question...Vim supports basic column operations
              through "visual block mode" using control+V (or, IIUC, control+Q
              if you're one of the poor folks that source mswin.vim). You can
              read about it at

              :help blockwise-visual
              :help visual-block

              There are some basic operations you can perform on these
              blockwise units:

              :help blockwise-operators

              which include things like prepending/appending, shifting,
              replacing, and cut/copy/paste'ing.

              Dr. Chip's solution was like swatting flies with a battleship :)
              He gave you a pointer to a solution that massively expands upon
              the above-mentioned basic inbuilt functionality. If what you
              want is just the basic operations that Vim supplies in a stock
              build, then there's no need for the vis.vim script. However, if
              you do have need to do more with visual blocks, the vis.vim
              script is your one-stop-shop for many, many things.

              -tim

            • Charles E Campbell Jr
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
                Tim Chase wrote:

                >>>Look into using vis.vim; with it, you can
                >>>

                >[snipped long answer from Dr. Chip]
                >

                >>Thanks for the reply.
                >>But.... no internal way?
                >>

                >I think Dr. Chip may have given you the $5 answer to what may
                >have been a $0.05 question...Vim supports basic column operations
                >through "visual block mode" using control+V (or, IIUC, control+Q
                >if you're one of the poor folks that source mswin.vim). You can
                >read about it at
                >
                > :help blockwise-visual
                > :help visual-block
                >
                >There are some basic operations you can perform on these
                >blockwise units:
                >
                > :help blockwise-operators
                >
                >which include things like prepending/appending, shifting,
                >replacing, and cut/copy/paste'ing.
                >
                >Dr. Chip's solution was like swatting flies with a battleship :)
                > He gave you a pointer to a solution that massively expands upon
                >the above-mentioned basic inbuilt functionality. If what you
                >want is just the basic operations that Vim supplies in a stock
                >build, then there's no need for the vis.vim script. However, if
                >you do have need to do more with visual blocks, the vis.vim
                >script is your one-stop-shop for many, many things.

                True -- there are some things you can do, such as replace a column with
                a character, yank it, put it, and apply a change (this operation is not
                substitute).

                Usually this question is asked by those who wish to do a substitute on a
                column -- and for that, vis.vim is good.

                Regards,
                Chip Campbell