RE: Installing Vim on Vista (Was: )

  • Lin, Joyce
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      Thanks to you all.

      Joyce
      -----Original Message-----
      From: vim_use@... [mailto:vim_use@...] On
      Behalf Of Tony Mechelynck
      Sent: Monday, October 01, 2007 10:05 AM
      To: vim_use@...
      Subject: Re: Installing Vim on Vista (Was: )

      Yongwei Wu wrote:
      > On 01/10/2007, Lin, Joyce <Joyce.Lin@...> wrote:
      >> Hi all,
      >>
      >> Doesn't anyone know if Vim is compliance with Windows Vista OS or
      not. Is
      >> anyone have problem with Vim on Vista?
      >
      > I read somewhere it is better not to install Vim to C:\Program Files.
      > My impression from my google search was that if you install Vim to
      > something like C:\Vim, everything should be OK.
      >
      > I am not running Windows Vista. You can easily have a try. It won't
      > hurt your system.
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Yongwei

      Vim sometimes has problems on paths containing spaces, but they can be
      worked
      around. When I was on Windows (XP), I had [g]vim installed in (at the
      time)
      "C:\Program Files\Vim\vim64" and "C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70aa"; my VIM
      environment variable was set (globally) to C:\PROGRA~1\VIM, VIMRUNTIME
      was
      unset (outside of Vim), and I never had any problem. It ought to be just
      as
      easy on Vista.

      "By necessity, by proclivity, and by delight, we all quote. In fact,
      it is as difficult to appropriate the thoughts of others as it is to
      invent. (R. Emerson)"
      -- Quoted from a fortune cookie program
      (whose author claims, "Actually, stealing IS
      easier.")
      [to which I reply, "You think it's easy for me to
      misconstrue all these misquotations?!?"]

    • Suresh Govindachar
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
        There is a known issue with things working on Vista having to do
        the _access() function. For example, the application gcc uses
        _access() to find other tools such as cc1.exe and the usual gcc
        fails on Vista -- the usual gcc needs to be patched to work on
        Vista. If VIM uses _access() to find things, vim is likely to
        fail too.

        My very high level understanding: In older MSVCRT, passing X_OK to
        _access was the same as passing F_OK. But in Vista, passing X_OK
        returns the error "invalid param value".

        --Suresh