Re: Installing Vim on Vista (Was: )

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      Yongwei Wu wrote:
      > On 01/10/2007, Lin, Joyce <Joyce.Lin@...> wrote:
      >> Hi all,
      >>
      >> Doesn't anyone know if Vim is compliance with Windows Vista OS or not. Is
      >> anyone have problem with Vim on Vista?
      >
      > I read somewhere it is better not to install Vim to C:\Program Files.
      > My impression from my google search was that if you install Vim to
      > something like C:\Vim, everything should be OK.
      >
      > I am not running Windows Vista. You can easily have a try. It won't
      > hurt your system.
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Yongwei

      Vim sometimes has problems on paths containing spaces, but they can be worked
      around. When I was on Windows (XP), I had [g]vim installed in (at the time)
      "C:\Program Files\Vim\vim64" and "C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70aa"; my VIM
      environment variable was set (globally) to C:\PROGRA~1\VIM, VIMRUNTIME was
      unset (outside of Vim), and I never had any problem. It ought to be just as
      easy on Vista.

      "By necessity, by proclivity, and by delight, we all quote. In fact,
      it is as difficult to appropriate the thoughts of others as it is to
      invent. (R. Emerson)"
      -- Quoted from a fortune cookie program
      (whose author claims, "Actually, stealing IS easier.")
      [to which I reply, "You think it's easy for me to
      misconstrue all these misquotations?!?"]

    • Lin, Joyce
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
        Thanks to you all.

        Joyce
        >> Doesn't anyone know if Vim is compliance with Windows Vista OS or
        not. Is
        >> anyone have problem with Vim on Vista?
        >
        > I read somewhere it is better not to install Vim to C:\Program Files.
        > My impression from my google search was that if you install Vim to
        > something like C:\Vim, everything should be OK.
        >
        > I am not running Windows Vista. You can easily have a try. It won't
        > hurt your system.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Yongwei

        Vim sometimes has problems on paths containing spaces, but they can be
        worked
        around. When I was on Windows (XP), I had [g]vim installed in (at the
        time)
        "C:\Program Files\Vim\vim64" and "C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70aa"; my VIM
        environment variable was set (globally) to C:\PROGRA~1\VIM, VIMRUNTIME
        was
        unset (outside of Vim), and I never had any problem. It ought to be just
        as
        easy on Vista.

        "By necessity, by proclivity, and by delight, we all quote. In fact,
        it is as difficult to appropriate the thoughts of others as it is to
        invent. (R. Emerson)"
        -- Quoted from a fortune cookie program
        (whose author claims, "Actually, stealing IS
        easier.")
        [to which I reply, "You think it's easy for me to
        misconstrue all these misquotations?!?"]

      • Suresh Govindachar
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
          There is a known issue with things working on Vista having to do
          the _access() function. For example, the application gcc uses
          _access() to find other tools such as cc1.exe and the usual gcc
          fails on Vista -- the usual gcc needs to be patched to work on
          Vista. If VIM uses _access() to find things, vim is likely to
          fail too.

          My very high level understanding: In older MSVCRT, passing X_OK to
          _access was the same as passing F_OK. But in Vista, passing X_OK
          returns the error "invalid param value".

          --Suresh