Re: vimdiff optimisation

  • Jürgen Krämer
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007

      Richard Hartmann wrote:

      > I have two issues which I need help with:
      >
      > 1) Is there any way to do to cursor position what scrollbind does to
      > scroll position? I want to jump to the 'same' line every time I switch
      > focus.

      I don't know a solution for this, ...

      > 2) Is there any way to tell vim 'take this line[s] and overwrite the
      > according line[s] in the other buffer' other than yy^w<scroll>Pdd? I
      > would be happy to script this if I had a reliable way to go to the line
      > on the same heigth in the other buffer, so this is highly related to 1)

      but you can use

      do

      and

      dp

      to copy the differences from and to the other buffer, respectively.

      Regards,
      Jürgen

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
        > 1) Is there any way to do to cursor position what scrollbind
        > does to scroll position? I want to jump to the 'same' line
        > every time I switch focus.

        While I don't have an answer for this, as sometimes vim seems to
        track cursor location, and sometimes it doesn't. But yes, this
        would be useful to know how to do.

        > 2) Is there any way to tell vim 'take this line[s] and
        > overwrite the according line[s] in the other buffer' other
        > than yy^w<scroll>Pdd? I would be happy to script this if I had
        > a reliable way to go to the line on the same heigth in the
        > other buffer, so this is highly related to 1)

        You might be interested in the

        :diffput
        :diffget

        pair of commands. I find diffput more useful because if the line
        is missing in the file, you can't move the cursor there to do a
        diffget, so you have to move to the cursor to the other file and
        do a diffput instead. There are also "do" and "dp" commands in
        normal mode to do this. It does push around the entire
        change-block that you're in, rather than just the current line,
        but I've found that usually I want the whole block of changes,
        rather than doing it line by line.

        You can read about it at

        :help copy-diffs

        and following where you can read about the above four commands as
        well as some tips on using them.

        Hope this helps,

        -tim

      • Richard Hartmann