Re: vim | replacement question

  • Nikolaos Patsopoulos
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 2, 2007
      On 8/31/07, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:

      Tim thanks for the reply. Sorry but was away for couple of days.

      > > A couple of questions:
      > > 1.

      > was there a question here?

      Yes, there was. I want a text that looks like this:

      <DIV>text</DIV>
      <DIV>text</DIV>
      <DIV>text</DIV>
      <DIV>text</DIV>
      <DIV>text</DIV>

      text....
      <DIV>text</DIV>
      <DIV>text</DIV>
      <DIV>text</DIV>
      <DIV>text</DIV>

      text.....

      to be turned into this:

      <DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</DIV>

      text....
      <DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</DIV>

      text.....

      my working code:
      :%s/\(<\/DIV>\).*\n.*\(<DIV>.*<\/DIV>\)/\1\2

      results:

      <DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</DIV>
      <DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</DIV>
      <DIV>text</DIV>

      text....
      <DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</DIV>
      <DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</DIV>

      text.....

      and have to run it more than once. The problem is that this a script
      actually and don't know how many times this particular code has to be
      run eventually.

      > > 2.
      I believe I oversimplified this.
      Here is a section of the text:

      <SPONSORS>Kendle International</SPONSORS><DIV>Abbott</DIV>
      <DIV>Barr Laboratories</DIV>
      <DIV>Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals</DIV>
      <DIV>Bristol-Myers Squibb</DIV>
      <DIV>Gilead Sciences</DIV>
      <DIV>GlaxoSmithKline</DIV>
      <DIV>Hoffmann-La Roche</DIV>
      <DIV>Idenix Pharmaceuticals</DIV>
      <DIV>Merck</DIV>
      <DIV>Novartis</DIV>
      <DIV>Pfizer</DIV>
      <DIV>Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd</DIV>
      <DIV>Tibotec Pharmaceutical Limited</DIV>

      I want to turn this to
      <SPONSORS>Kendle International</SPONSORS><SPONSORS>Abbott</SPONSORS>
      <SPONSORS>Barr Laboratories</SPONSORS>
      <SPONSORS>Boehringer Ingelheim
      Pharmaceuticals</SPONSORS>
      <SPONSORS>Bristol-Myers Squibb</SPONSORS>
      <SPONSORS>Gilead Sciences</SPONSORS>
      <SPONSORS>GlaxoSmithKline</SPONSORS>
      <SPONSORS>Hoffmann-La Roche</SPONSORS>
      <SPONSORS>Idenix Pharmaceuticals</SPONSORS>
      <SPONSORS>Merck</SPONSORS>
      <SPONSORS>Novartis</SPONSORS>
      <SPONSORS>Pfizer</SPONSORS>
      <SPONSORS>Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd</SPONSORS>
      <SPONSORS>Tibotec Pharmaceutical
      Limited</SPONSORS>

      I cannot just turn all DIV to SPONSORS cause there are DIV tags that
      need to be unchanged. My working code does one pass each time and the
      one Tim suggested just erases the first DIV tags (my fault actually).

      > > pattern1 pattern1 pattern1 pattern1 pattern1 pattern1
      > >
      > > working code:
      > >
      > > :%s/\(pattern1\)\(pattern2\)/\1\2
      > >

      > While yes, you can use a "while" loop, you may want to use a
      > "sub-replace-special" secondary call to substitute, such as
      >
      > :%s/^\(pattern1\)\s\+\(\%(pattern2\n\)\+\)/\=submatch(1).substitute(submatch(2),
      > 'pattern2\n', ' '.submatch(1), 'g')
      >

      > -tim

      Thanks,

      Nikos

      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007
        Nikolaos Patsopoulos wrote:
> [...]
        > <SPONSORS>Hoffmann-La Roche</SPONSORS>
        > <SPONSORS>Idenix Pharmaceuticals</SPONSORS>
        > <SPONSORS>Merck</SPONSORS>
        > <SPONSORS>Novartis</SPONSORS>
        > <SPONSORS>Pfizer</SPONSORS>
        > <SPONSORS>Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd</SPONSORS>
        > <SPONSORS>Tibotec Pharmaceutical
        > Limited</SPONSORS>
        >
        > I cannot just turn all DIV to SPONSORS cause there are DIV tags that
        > need to be unchanged. My working code does one pass each time and the
        > one Tim suggested just erases the first DIV tags (my fault actually).
        >
        >>> pattern1 pattern1 pattern1 pattern1 pattern1 pattern1
        >>>
        >>> working code:
        >>>
        >>> :%s/\(pattern1\)\(pattern2\)/\1\2
        >>>

        >> While yes, you can use a "while" loop, you may want to use a
        >> "sub-replace-special" secondary call to substitute, such as
        >>
        >> :%s/^\(pattern1\)\s\+\(\%(pattern2\n\)\+\)/\=submatch(1).substitute(submatch(2),

        :[range]s/from/to

        replaces only once per line. Add /g at the end to replace as many times as
        possible.

        Maybe

        :%s/\c<\/div>\zs\n\ze<div>//g

        or even

        :%s/>\zs\n\ze<//g

        ?

        Note: The <div> element is a block element. When rendered, it will get
        linebreaks around itself. Therefore, it feels "natural" to also break the

        If you don't get everything you want, think of
        everything you didn't get and don't want.

      • Nikolaos Patsopoulos
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007

          > :[range]s/from/to
          >
          > replaces only once per line. Add /g at the end to replace as many times as
          > possible.
          >
          > Maybe
          >
          > :%s/\c<\/div>\zs\n\ze<div>//g

          This seems to work in a dummy. Will try later in my source file and
          let you know if there is any problem. Can you suggest any further
          reading on th topic (especially \zs\ze)?

          > or even
          >
          > :%s/>\zs\n\ze<//g
          >
          > ?
          >

          > Note: The <div> element is a block element. When rendered, it will get
          > linebreaks around itself. Therefore, it feels "natural" to also break the

          Any suggestion for question 2?

          Thanks,

          Nikos

          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007
            Nikolaos Patsopoulos wrote:
            >> :[range]s/from/to
            >>
            >> replaces only once per line. Add /g at the end to replace as many times as
            >> possible.
            >>
            >> Maybe
            >>
            >> :%s/\c<\/div>\zs\n\ze<div>//g
            >
            > This seems to work in a dummy. Will try later in my source file and
            > let you know if there is any problem. Can you suggest any further
            > reading on th topic (especially \zs\ze)?

            :help pattern.txt
            :help pattern-overview
            :help pattern-atoms

            etc.

            >> or even
            >>
            >> :%s/>\zs\n\ze<//g
            >>
            >> ?
            >>

            >> Note: The <div> element is a block element. When rendered, it will get
            >> linebreaks around itself. Therefore, it feels "natural" to also break the
            >>

            > Any suggestion for question 2?

            er, sorry, I wasn't following. What were we talking about?

            > Thanks,
            >
            > Nikos

            Too much of a good thing is WONDERFUL.
            -- Mae West

          • Nikolaos Patsopoulos
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007
              :)

              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007
                Nikolaos Patsopoulos wrote:
                > :)
                >

                >> er, sorry, I wasn't following. What were we talking about?
                >>

                >>> 2.
                > I believe I oversimplified this.
                > Here is a section of the text:
                >
                > <SPONSORS>Kendle International</SPONSORS><DIV>Abbott</DIV>
                > <DIV>Barr Laboratories</DIV>
                > <DIV>Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals</DIV>
                > <DIV>Bristol-Myers Squibb</DIV>
                > <DIV>Gilead Sciences</DIV>
                > <DIV>GlaxoSmithKline</DIV>
                > <DIV>Hoffmann-La Roche</DIV>
                > <DIV>Idenix Pharmaceuticals</DIV>
                > <DIV>Merck</DIV>
                > <DIV>Novartis</DIV>
                > <DIV>Pfizer</DIV>
                > <DIV>Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd</DIV>
                > <DIV>Tibotec Pharmaceutical Limited</DIV>
                >
                > I want to turn this to
                > <SPONSORS>Kendle International</SPONSORS><SPONSORS>Abbott</SPONSORS>
                > <SPONSORS>Barr Laboratories</SPONSORS>
                > <SPONSORS>Boehringer Ingelheim
                > Pharmaceuticals</SPONSORS>
                > <SPONSORS>Bristol-Myers Squibb</SPONSORS>
                > <SPONSORS>Gilead Sciences</SPONSORS>
                > <SPONSORS>GlaxoSmithKline</SPONSORS>
                > <SPONSORS>Hoffmann-La Roche</SPONSORS>
                > <SPONSORS>Idenix Pharmaceuticals</SPONSORS>
                > <SPONSORS>Merck</SPONSORS>
                > <SPONSORS>Novartis</SPONSORS>
                > <SPONSORS>Pfizer</SPONSORS>
                > <SPONSORS>Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd</SPONSORS>
                > <SPONSORS>Tibotec Pharmaceutical Limited</SPONSORS>
                >
                > I cannot just turn all DIV to SPONSORS cause there are DIV tags that
                > need to be unchanged. My working code does one pass each time and the
                > one Tim suggested just erases the first DIV tags (my fault actually).

                One way to do it would be

                :%s/\<DIV\>/SPONSORS/gc

                but it would require you to approve manually every change.

                Or else, highlight (in linewise-visual) ranges where all DIV must be changed
                to SPONSORS, then

                :'<,'>s/\<DIV\>/SPONSORS/g

                Notes:
                - the '<,'> range is inserted by Vim when you hit : in Visual mode, it means
                "from the first to the last line of the Visual selection".
                - \< and \> mark word boundaries in a pattern.

                The net of law is spread so wide,
                No sinner from its sweep may hide.
                Its meshes are so fine and strong,
                They take in every child of wrong.
                O wondrous web of mystery!
                Big fish alone escape from thee!
                -- James Jeffrey Roche

              • Tim Chase
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007
                  > I believe I oversimplified this.
                  > Here is a section of the text:
                  >
                  > <SPONSORS>Kendle International</SPONSORS><DIV>Abbott</DIV>
                  > <DIV>Barr Laboratories</DIV>
                  > <DIV>Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals</DIV>
                  > <DIV>Bristol-Myers Squibb</DIV>
                  > <DIV>Gilead Sciences</DIV>
                  > <DIV>GlaxoSmithKline</DIV>
                  > <DIV>Hoffmann-La Roche</DIV>
                  > <DIV>Idenix Pharmaceuticals</DIV>
                  > <DIV>Merck</DIV>
                  > <DIV>Novartis</DIV>
                  > <DIV>Pfizer</DIV>
                  > <DIV>Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd</DIV>
                  > <DIV>Tibotec Pharmaceutical Limited</DIV>
                  >
                  > I want to turn this to
                  > <SPONSORS>Kendle International</SPONSORS><SPONSORS>Abbott</SPONSORS>
                  > <SPONSORS>Barr Laboratories</SPONSORS>
                  > <SPONSORS>Boehringer Ingelheim
                  > Pharmaceuticals</SPONSORS>
                  > <SPONSORS>Bristol-Myers Squibb</SPONSORS>
                  > <SPONSORS>Gilead Sciences</SPONSORS>
                  > <SPONSORS>GlaxoSmithKline</SPONSORS>
                  > <SPONSORS>Hoffmann-La Roche</SPONSORS>
                  > <SPONSORS>Idenix Pharmaceuticals</SPONSORS>
                  > <SPONSORS>Merck</SPONSORS>
                  > <SPONSORS>Novartis</SPONSORS>
                  > <SPONSORS>Pfizer</SPONSORS>
                  > <SPONSORS>Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd</SPONSORS>
                  > <SPONSORS>Tibotec Pharmaceutical Limited</SPONSORS>
                  >
                  > I cannot just turn all DIV to SPONSORS cause there are DIV tags that
                  > need to be unchanged. My working code does one pass each time and the
                  > one Tim suggested just erases the first DIV tags (my fault actually).

                  Ah...definitely some miscommunication there. Assuming that your
                  block of <DIV> tags is terminated by a blank line, you can use
                  something like

                  :g/<SPONSORS>/.,'}s/<\/\=\zsDIV\ze>/SPONSORS/g

                  which will

                  g/ on every line matching
                  <SPONSORS> a "<SPONSORS>" tag
                  / do the following action
                  . from this matching line (an optional default)
                  , through
                  '} the end of the paragraph (blank line)
                  s/ change all
                  < opening tag
                  \/\= followed by an optional "/"
                  \zs note this as the beginning of the place to replace
                  DIV followed by "DIV"
                  \ze note this as the end of the place to replace
                  > the end of the DIV tag
                  / and replace that tag-name with
                  SPONSORS the literal text "SPONSORS"
                  /g for all instances on the line

                  It doesn't do any line-joining, but this time your example didn't
                  have any joined lines...If also needed, you could do something like

                  g/<SPONSORS>/.,'}-j|s/<\/\=\zsDIV\ze>/SPONSORS/g:

                  which joins those lines first and then does the replacement on
                  the resulting line.

                  -tim

                • A.Politz
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007
                    npatsop@... wrote:

                    >Hi,
                    >
                    >A couple of questions:
                    >
                    >1.
                    >
                    >I have a text that has a lot of <DIV></DIV> tags spread across many
                    >lines and I want to put all tags of the same section in the same line:
                    >
                    ><DIV>text</DIV>
                    ><DIV>text</DIV>
                    ><DIV>text</DIV>
                    ><DIV>text</DIV>
                    ><DIV>text</DIV>
                    >
                    >text....
                    ><DIV>text</DIV>
                    ><DIV>text</DIV>
                    ><DIV>text</DIV>
                    ><DIV>text</DIV>
                    >
                    >text.....
                    >
                    >This should be like this:
                    >
                    ><DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</
                    >DIV>
                    >
                    >text....
                    ><DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</DIV><DIV>text</DIV>
                    >
                    >text.....
                    >
                    >working code:
                    >
                    >:%s/\(<\/DIV>\).*\n.*\(<DIV>.*<\/DIV>\)/\1\2
                    >
                    >2.
                    >
                    >I want to replace all consecutive of a pattern:
                    >
                    >pattern1 pattern2
                    >pattern2
                    >pattern2
                    >pattern2... (n times)
                    >
                    >to:
                    >
                    >pattern1 pattern1 pattern1 pattern1 pattern1 pattern1
                    >
                    >working code:
                    >
                    >:%s/\(pattern1\)\(pattern2\)/\1\2
                    >
                    >Can I use a while loop?
                    >
                    >:while (pattern2 not found)
                    >: code
                    >
                    >Thanks in advance,
                    >

                    >Nikos

                    Here is some more working code for you :

                    g/DIV/if getline(line('.')-1) =~ '<SPONSORS>' | -j | endif
                    /<\/SPONSORS>/;/\(\_s*<DIV>[^<]*<\/DIV>\)*\zs/-s/\s*\n\s*//
                    /<\/SPONSORS>/;/\(\_s*<DIV>[^<]*<\/DIV>\)*\zs/s/DIV/SPONSORS/g
                    /<\/SPONSORS>/;/\(\_s*<DIV>[^<]*<\/DIV>\)*\zs/j | s/DIV/SPONSORS/g

                    /A/;/B/C
                    First search for A then for B and then exec C on the resulting lines.

                    -ap

                  • Nikolaos Patsopoulos
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007
                      Thank you all I've got it working now!