[OT] Just contact Bram for any Google related problems (was: Finally on the list?)

  • Edward L. Fox
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2 6:11 AM
      Hi Richard,

      > On 01/09/07, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:
      >
      > > - Contact Groups support at this URL:
      > > http://groups.google.com/support/bin/request.py
      >
      > From my personal experience, this approach is useless :/

      Well, just mail Bram and he can forward your problem to the internal
      developers in Google.

      > Richard

      Regards,

      Edward L. Fox

    • A.Politz
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4 4:55 PM
        Edward L. Fox wrote:

        >Hi Richard,

        >>On 01/09/07, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:
        >>

        >>>- Contact Groups support at this URL:
        >>> http://groups.google.com/support/bin/request.py
        >>>

        >>From my personal experience, this approach is useless :/
        >>

        >Well, just mail Bram and he can forward your problem to the internal
        >developers in Google.
        >

        >>Richard
        >>

        >Regards,
        >
        >Edward L. Fox

        I need to know this :
        In order to gain the ability to post to the vim maillinglists and
        receive messages by mail, the only thing I _actually_ would have
        to do, is subscribing to them with a simple mail.

        Is that correct ?

        -ap

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4 5:14 PM
          > In order to gain the ability to post to the vim maillinglists and
          > receive messages by mail, the only thing I _actually_ would have
          > to do, is subscribing to them with a simple mail.
          >
          > Is that correct ?

          "yes"

          Note the quotes :)

          To subscribe, it should be as simple as one of the two following
          processes:

          1) send an email to vim_use-subscribe@..., receive
          the email, click the verification link

          or

          2) create a google-groups account and use it to subscribe to the
          vim_use list.

          Both of these *should* work, but as I can attest after almost 3
          months of trying every which way, it doesn't exactly happen that
          way for everybody. I finally got a human on the other end of GG
          help/support who subscribed me or fixed whatever was broken.
          Something about their signup process is

          echo "BROKEN!" | figlet

          -tim

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4 5:33 PM
            > To subscribe, it should be as simple as one of the two following
            > processes:
            >
            > 1) send an email to vim_use-subscribe@..., receive
            > the email, click the verification link
            >
            > or
            >
            > 2) create a google-groups account and use it to subscribe to the
            > vim_use list.

            I tried that or similar and it didn't work. I got a nice message though
            telling me that it doesn't work and that it's the wrong way to subscribe
            or something.

            Then I followed the instructions on the Vim website (I RTFM, basically)
            and sent blank emails to

            vim-subscribe@...
            vim-dev-subscribe@...

            I got emails back very quickly from Google Groups with a confirmation
            link to click, which I did, and it worked just fine.

            Maybe the info on the website could be improved to describe the correct
            procedure in more detail, and noting explicitly that sending to
            vim-subscribe@... subscribes you to the Google group. I did find it
            a bit confusing--why send to vim.org if the group is hosted by Google
            Groups? That seemed odd to me, and especially since the group's hosting
            has changed recently, I was left wondering whether it was the right
            thing to do or whether the page was just out of date as many web pages are.

            Ben.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4 6:40 PM
              Ben Schmidt wrote:
              [...]
              > Then I followed the instructions on the Vim website (I RTFM, basically)
              > and sent blank emails to
              >
              > vim-subscribe@...
              > vim-dev-subscribe@...
              >
              > I got emails back very quickly from Google Groups with a confirmation
              > link to click, which I did, and it worked just fine.
              >
              > Maybe the info on the website could be improved to describe the correct
              > procedure in more detail, and noting explicitly that sending to
              > vim-subscribe@... subscribes you to the Google group. I did find it
              > a bit confusing--why send to vim.org if the group is hosted by Google
              > Groups? That seemed odd to me, and especially since the group's hosting
              > has changed recently, I was left wondering whether it was the right
              > thing to do or whether the page was just out of date as many web pages are.
              >
              > Ben.

              switch to Google Groups: they arrived, then, at an old server somewhere at the
              math faculty of Berlin U. When that box finally broke down, the lists were in
              limbo for some time, until Bram resurrected them in the form of Google Groups,
              re-defining the email addresses of the defunct Berlin U hosting as aliases to
              the corresponding Google Group addresses. Some people have found it harder
              than other to re-subscribe; I still have no clear idea of why. I hope that
              eventually, everyone who cares enough about Vim support to want to subscribe
              to these lists, will be able to.

              The grand leap of the whale up the Fall of Niagara is esteemed, by all
              who have seen it, as one of the finest spectacles in nature.
              -- Benjamin Franklin.

            • Marvin Renich
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5 9:27 AM
                * Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schmidt@...> [070904 20:33]:

                > Then I followed the instructions on the Vim website (I RTFM, basically)
                > and sent blank emails to
                >
                > vim-subscribe@...
                > vim-dev-subscribe@...
                >
                > I got emails back very quickly from Google Groups with a confirmation
                > link to click, which I did, and it worked just fine.
                >
                > Ben.

                This worked for me as well. The key for me seemed to be *clicking on
                the link* rather than replying to the email, which is listed as an
                option in the confirmation email.

                The one other point was that if you have tried to subscribe, and it
                seems like Google thinks you are subscribed, but you are not receiving
                list mail or able to post, make sure you *unsubscribe* before trying to
                re-subscribe.

                ...Marvin

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 6 11:19 AM
                  On 05/09/07, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:

                  > Both of these *should* work, but as I can attest after almost 3
                  > months of trying every which way, it doesn't exactly happen that
                  > way for everybody. I finally got a human on the other end of GG
                  > help/support who subscribed me or fixed whatever was broken.
                  > Something about their signup process is

                  For me, it seems that waiting and trying again and again to
                  subscribe accidentially works instead of just generating the
                  we-know-you-are-very-excited-about-this-list-but-you-are-already-subscribed-and-we-are-very-witty-and-funny-you-know
                  messages some people on this list will surely know.

                  As a side note, why didn't Bram just install mailman and use that
                  instead? And no, this is not flamebait, it is personal interest :)

                  Richard

                • John Beckett
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 6 5:00 PM
                    Richard Hartmann wrote:
                    > For me, it seems that waiting and trying again and again to
                    > subscribe accidentially works instead of just generating the
                    > we-know-you-are-very-excited-about-this-list-but-you-are-
                    > already-subscribed-and-we-are-very-witty-and-funny-you-know
                    > messages some people on this list will surely know.

                    Yes! I know that message ... extremely irritating.

                    > As a side note, why didn't Bram just install mailman and use
                    > that instead? And no, this is not flamebait, it is personal
                    > interest :)

                    I've tried running servers on various systems, and it's just amazing how
                    many problems arise in a year. There is the endless security update
                    nightmare, the backups, the network issues, the building power, the
                    politics, and the cost. And you need a help desk.

                    It was very unfortunate that the previous friendly arrangement terminated,
                    and (apparently) attempts to move to another similar system started but then
                    evaporated ... without much news on vim.org. But I can quite understand that
                    using googlegroups is an obvious decision compared with the practical
                    difficulties of relying on a friendly arrangement.

                    BTW, while we're [OT], I think it appropriate on an archived mailing list to
                    not post people's email addresses. I know that it shouldn't be a problem,
                    but I would prefer a reply to me to not include my address. Someone recently
                    posted a "thank you", and went to quite a bit of trouble to attribute the
                    person's full name and email address. IMHO there is no point in teasing
                    trouble.

                    One of the irritating features of my experiments running amateur servers is
                    that one machine is still receiving spam for people who left ten years ago.

                    John