Re: how to get list of open windows

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
      > Actually, the windows are identified by sequential numbers from 1 to
      > winnr('$') and they don't have any fixed ids so they are reliable only
      > when the window layout has not changed.

      Ah...something I must have missed somewhere. Other than "Try it
      and see that it happens to be the case", is there some place to
      learn this in the docs? The best I could find was

      "windows are numbered from top-left to bottom-right"

      in ":help windows.txt". However, this doesn't make it obvious
      that they're time-sensitive (if I changed my window layout, the
      buffer<->window mapping changes), and that holes never appear in
      the count if windows are closed.

      With that foreknowledge that they're monotonically increasing
      from 1..winnr('$'), the results are, as Hari and others noted,
      considerably easier to produce :)

      -tim

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
        Tim Chase wrote:
        >> Actually, the windows are identified by sequential numbers from 1 to
        >> winnr('$') and they don't have any fixed ids so they are reliable only
        >> when the window layout has not changed.
        >
        > Ah...something I must have missed somewhere. Other than "Try it
        > and see that it happens to be the case", is there some place to
        > learn this in the docs? The best I could find was
        >
        > "windows are numbered from top-left to bottom-right"
        >
        > in ":help windows.txt". However, this doesn't make it obvious
        > that they're time-sensitive (if I changed my window layout, the
        > buffer<->window mapping changes), and that holes never appear in
        > the count if windows are closed.
        >
        > With that foreknowledge that they're monotonically increasing
        > from 1..winnr('$'), the results are, as Hari and others noted,
        > considerably easier to produce :)
        >
        > -tim

        help winnr() also mentions that winnr('$') is both "the number of the last
        window" and "the window count". IOW, no holes.

        The fact that the windows are numbered top-to-bottom implies (the way I read
        it) that when you rearrange your window layout, the window-number-to-buffer
        mapping changes. Unlike buffer numbers (which are attributed once and for all,
        and never change even if a lower-numbered buffer is ":bwipeout"ed), a window's
        number changes whenever a lower-numbered window is opened or closed. (Window
        number 1 is always at top left and window number winnr('$') is always at
        bottom right.)

        "The whole world is about three drinks behind."
        -- Humphrey Bogart