Finally on the list?

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 29, 2007
      After about three months of bickering with trying to subscribe
      and multiple submissions to the Google Groups help/support folks,
      hopefully I'm finally re-subscribed to the Vim-ML.

      Let me just say that GG falls considerably short of the niceness
      that mailman (or majordomo or whichever ML manager vim.org used
      previously) affords.

      -tim

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 29, 2007
        Tim Chase wrote:
        > After about three months of bickering with trying to subscribe
        > and multiple submissions to the Google Groups help/support folks,
        > hopefully I'm finally re-subscribed to the Vim-ML.

        You are.

        > Let me just say that GG falls considerably short of the niceness
        > that mailman (or majordomo or whichever ML manager vim.org used
        > previously) affords.
        >
        > -tim

        ezmlm

        The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its capacity
        -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.

      • John Beckett
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 29, 2007
          Tim Chase wrote:
          > After about three months of bickering with trying to
          > subscribe and multiple submissions to the Google Groups
          > help/support folks, hopefully I'm finally re-subscribed
          > to the Vim-ML.

          Congratulations! Although maybe you're doing something wrong, because I can
          only see ONE copy of your message, whereas I can see TWO from many other
          people<g>!

          John

        • A.Politz
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 30, 2007
            John Beckett wrote:

            >Tim Chase wrote:
            >

            >>After about three months of bickering with trying to
            >>subscribe and multiple submissions to the Google Groups
            >>help/support folks, hopefully I'm finally re-subscribed
            >>to the Vim-ML.
            >>

            >Congratulations! Although maybe you're doing something wrong, because I can
            >only see ONE copy of your message, whereas I can see TWO from many other
            >people<g>!
            >
            >John

            For me it needs sometimes 10 minutes before my post appears on the list.
            But I guess the people with double posts already figured that as well.

            -ap

          • Ben Schmidt
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 30, 2007
              >> Congratulations! Although maybe you're doing something wrong, because I can
              >> only see ONE copy of your message, whereas I can see TWO from many other
              >> people<g>!
              >>
              > For me it needs sometimes 10 minutes before my post appears on the list.
              > But I guess the people with double posts already figured that as well.

              It looks to me that those I get double posts from are sending to

              vim@...

              as well as

              vim_use@...

              Or maybe posting to one address automatically forwards to the other and
              somehow manages to come through twice.

              From what I can gather, mine only come through once, as I post just to
              vim_use@....

              Ben.

            • John Beckett
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 30, 2007
                Ben Schmidt wrote:
                > It looks to me that those I get double posts from are sending to
                >
                > vim@...
                >
                > as well as
                >
                > vim_use@...
                >
                > Or maybe posting to one address automatically forwards to the
                > other and somehow manages to come through twice.
                >
                > From what I can gather, mine only come through once, as I
                > post just to vim_use@....

                Yes - I don't recall seeing duplicates of your posts (and I saw only one of
                the message to which I am replying now).

                I'm asking Dominique Pelle how he posts ... I haven't really been paying
                attention, but I think I've noticed most duplicates happen on vim_dev.

                John

              • John Beckett
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 30, 2007
                  A.Politz wrote:
                  > For me it needs sometimes 10 minutes before my post
                  > appears on the list. But I guess the people with
                  > double posts already figured that as well.

                  So it's conceivable that some double posts could be due to a person posting
                  twice when they don't see their first effort. I've just finished analysing
                  the imported Vim Tips for duplicate titles - there are nine cases where the
                  original author posted their tip more than once, presumably because they
                  couldn't immediately see their efforts...

                  But as you suggest, it doesn't seem likely here. Also, from what I've
                  noticed, the duplicates have an identical time.

                  However, you've started me wondering if some over-zealous mail server could
                  be sending twice when it doesn't get an expected response the first time
                  (maybe the receiver is doing an anti-spam, or a sender-verification
                  check??). I wonder if vim.org has all the DNS entries that googlegroups.com
                  might want.

                  I see that RFC 1047 "DUPLICATE MESSAGES AND SMTP" addressed this in 1988! We
                  need someone with a bunch of mail experience to analyse what's going on.

                  John

                • Matthew Winn
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 31, 2007
                    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:48:15 +1000, "John Beckett"
                    <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:

                    > So it's conceivable that some double posts could be due to a person posting
                    > twice when they don't see their first effort. I've just finished analysing
                    > the imported Vim Tips for duplicate titles - there are nine cases where the
                    > original author posted their tip more than once, presumably because they
                    > couldn't immediately see their efforts...
                    >
                    > But as you suggest, it doesn't seem likely here. Also, from what I've
                    > noticed, the duplicates have an identical time.

                    The only duplicates I've been able to find are either people who are
                    posting to both the vim.org and googlegroups.com addresses (so the
                    message routes differ but the message IDs are the same), or people
                    who have truly sent a message twice (with different message IDs and
                    dates). There are very few of either: I had to go back four days to
                    find an example of the former and eight days to find the latter.

                    > However, you've started me wondering if some over-zealous mail server could
                    > be sending twice when it doesn't get an expected response the first time
                    > (maybe the receiver is doing an anti-spam, or a sender-verification
                    > check??). I wonder if vim.org has all the DNS entries that googlegroups.com
                    > might want.

                    If some people are seeing many duplicate messages while others aren't
                    it suggests that the problem is related to receiving mail rather than
                    sending it.

                    --
                    Matthew Winn

                  • A.Politz
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 31, 2007
                      Matthew Winn wrote:

                      >If some people are seeing many duplicate messages while others aren't
                      >it suggests that the problem is related to receiving mail rather than
                      >sending it.

                      I have a `real` mail receiving problem, that is I don't
                      receive any mail from vim_dev at all. I subscribed to both,
                      created a google-account, joined both groups and checked the
                      'send be everything by mail' button. I did a couple of un-
                      and subscribings, but no change. Is this already addressed
                      in some thread ?

                      -ap

                    • John Beckett
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 31, 2007
                        A.Politz wrote:
                        > I have a `real` mail receiving problem, that is I don't
                        > receive any mail from vim_dev at all. I subscribed to both,
                        > created a google-account, joined both groups and checked the
                        > 'send be everything by mail' button. I did a couple of un-
                        > and subscribings, but no change. Is this already addressed
                        > in some thread ?

                        Did you see the message from Bram sent 16 Aug 2007?
                        Subject: Problems with Vim lists on Google Groups

                        The message said that some people had problems because of a failed attempt
                        to mass-subsribe the old addresses. That is, if you are using an address
                        that was subscribed to the old vim.org list, you may have been blocked.

                        Bram said: If you have the problems described, you can do one of these:
                        - Subscribe with another e-mail address.
                        - Some people reported that it started working after creating a Google
                        account.
                        - Contact Groups support at this URL:
                        http://groups.google.com/support/bin/request.py

                        John

                      • A.Politz
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 31, 2007
                          John Beckett wrote:

                          >A.Politz wrote:
                          >

                          >>I have a `real` mail receiving problem, that is I don't
                          >>receive any mail from vim_dev at all. I subscribed to both,
                          >>created a google-account, joined both groups and checked the
                          >>'send be everything by mail' button. I did a couple of un-
                          >>and subscribings, but no change. Is this already addressed
                          >>in some thread ?
                          >>

                          >Did you see the message from Bram sent 16 Aug 2007?
                          >Subject: Problems with Vim lists on Google Groups

                          I read it, and now I am starting to remember, that I
                          subscribed to the old list the week it broke.

                          >The message said that some people had problems because of a failed attempt
                          >to mass-subsribe the old addresses. That is, if you are using an address
                          >that was subscribed to the old vim.org list, you may have been blocked.
                          >
                          >Bram said: If you have the problems described, you can do one of these:
                          >- Subscribe with another e-mail address.
                          >- Some people reported that it started working after creating a Google
                          > account.

                          So I don't actually _have_ to create one, in order to get
                          the list by mail ? I'd like to think that I had to for vim_use.

                          >- Contact Groups support at this URL:
                          > http://groups.google.com/support/bin/request.py

                          filling in forms, mh

                          >John