Re: pasted ' and " turning to ¿

  • fREW
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
      > office to stop this, but to no avail. What can I do?

      I had a similar issue in a class that I took where the teacher
      distributed the notes as word files and they had funny characters in
      them. Basically what I did was paste the doc into the terminal with:

      cat > newfile

      And then I used a suggestion on the list that will highlight weird
      characters like curly " and ' and I use the same pattern in a search
      and replace the characters with whatever makes sense.

      It's not automated, but it saves time and makes the files regular
      ascii and smaller in ram and disk than the word file.

      --
      -fREW

      Q: Why is this email 5 sentences or less?
      A: http://five.sentenc.es

    • John R. Culleton
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
        On Wednesday 01 August 2007, ben lieb wrote:
        > fREW wrote:
        > >> office to stop this, but to no avail. What can I do?
        > >
        > > I had a similar issue in a class that I took where the teacher
        > > distributed the notes as word files and they had funny characters
        > > in them. Basically what I did was paste the doc into the
        > > terminal with:
        > >
        > > cat > newfile
        > >
        > > And then I used a suggestion on the list that will highlight
        > > weird characters like curly " and ' and I use the same pattern in
        > > a search and replace the characters with whatever makes sense.
        > >
        > > It's not automated, but it saves time and makes the files regular
        > > ascii and smaller in ram and disk than the word file.
        >
        > I don't think this is a plain text issue, since the curvy quotes
        > still show up in the plain text, and also show up as ¿ when pasted
        > into vim. Maybe window's plain text is slightly different from
        > linux?
        >
        > There is an option while saving from .doc to .txt 'allow character
        > substitution'. This actually converts from curvy to straight
        > quotes. There is also an option in word that makes word use
        > straight quotes, but this doesn't convert curvy quotes in other's
        > documents.
        >
        > And, yes I'm on windows (can't find a replacement for photoshop,
        Gimp and someday Krita.

        --
        John Culleton

      • ben lieb
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
          fREW wrote:
[...]

          And, yes I'm on windows (can't find a replacement for photoshop, or flash).

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
            ben lieb wrote:
            > fREW wrote:
            >>> office to stop this, but to no avail. What can I do?
            >>>

            >> I had a similar issue in a class that I took where the teacher
            >> distributed the notes as word files and they had funny characters in
            >> them. Basically what I did was paste the doc into the terminal with:
            >>
            >> cat > newfile
            >>
            >> And then I used a suggestion on the list that will highlight weird
            >> characters like curly " and ' and I use the same pattern in a search
            >> and replace the characters with whatever makes sense.
            >>
            >> It's not automated, but it saves time and makes the files regular
            >> ascii and smaller in ram and disk than the word file.
            >>

            > I don't think this is a plain text issue, since the curvy quotes still
            > show up in the plain text, and also show up as ¿ when pasted into vim.
            > Maybe window's plain text is slightly different from linux?

            It's not plain text, it's Word format, which has interspersed control
            characters. I think that that is one of them. I can read Word files on Linux
            with oowriter and on Windows with WordPad, but not with Vim on either platform.

            > There is an option while saving from .doc to .txt 'allow character
            > substitution'. This actually converts from curvy to straight quotes.
            > There is also an option in word that makes word use straight quotes, but
            > this doesn't convert curvy quotes in other's documents.
            >
            > And, yes I'm on windows (can't find a replacement for photoshop, or flash).

            Well, I used to be, but now I've graduated to Linux :-).

            An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose.
            -- A. P. Herbert

          • John Beckett
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
              ben lieb wrote:
              > My clients are always giving me word documents to
              > convert to HTML. When I paste the text into vim, the
              > curly ' and " always turn to ¿

              I think it's just your font.

              I've been meaning to check this for a while so I created the following which
              suits my once-a-year purpose.

              "Change ANSI dashes and quotes to ascii.
              :%s/\%x96\|\%x97/-/eg | %s/\%x91\|\%x92/'/eg | %s/\%x93\|\%x94/"/eg

              Hex 96,97 = en,em dash; 91,92 = single quotes, 93,94 = double quotes.

              Google just showed me the following; probably should add bullets and maybe
              more in above substitute.
              http://www.cyrillic.com/3dkbd/ansichart.html

              There are probably tools to convert ANSI to ASCII.

              John