new Vim book

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
      Kim Schulz has written a book on using Vim The full title is:
      "Hacking Vim: A Cookbook to get the Most out of the Latest Vim Editor".

      I have written a bit of info about it on this page:
      http://iccf-holland.org/click5.html

      81. At social functions you introduce your husband as "my domain server."

    • Mike Hansen
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007

        I purchased this book from the publisher's web site last weekend. I
        bought the combo PDF and dead-tree version. I haven't got the dead-tree
        version yet, but I'm reading the PDF. I thought the first chapter on the
        history of vi, Vim, and vi clones wasn't really that necessary and could
        have been spent on other hacking topics. I'm in the middle of the 2nd
        chapter now. Note: The 2nd chapter is the sample chapter available for
        download. It's pretty good. So far, I think the book will be helpful in
        learning more about Vim.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
          Mike Hansen wrote:

> [...]

          I've had a look at the online sample chapter and it sounds quite "slow-paced"
          to me. I'm tempted to say second grade level but that would be caricature. I
          guess seventh grade is more realistic (and even that may exhibit a warped
          perception). Personally I prefer Bram (et al.)'s documentation: vimtutor, user
          manual, reference manual. YMMV.

          Once, adv.:
          Enough.

        • Mike Hansen
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
            > >> Kim Schulz has written a book on using Vim The full title is:
            > >> "Hacking Vim: A Cookbook to get the Most out of the Latest
            > >> Vim Editor".
            > >>
            > >> I have written a bit of info about it on this page:
            > >> http://iccf-holland.org/click5.html
            > >
            > > I purchased this book from the publisher's web site last weekend. I
            > > bought the combo PDF and dead-tree version. I haven't got
            > the dead-tree
            > > version yet, but I'm reading the PDF. I thought the first
            > chapter on the
            > > history of vi, Vim, and vi clones wasn't really that
            > necessary and could
            > > have been spent on other hacking topics. I'm in the middle
            > of the 2nd
            > > chapter now. Note: The 2nd chapter is the sample chapter
            > available for
            > > download. It's pretty good. So far, I think the book will
            > be helpful in
            > > learning more about Vim.
            > >
            > > Mike
            >
            > I've had a look at the online sample chapter and it sounds
            > quite "slow-paced"
            > to me. I'm tempted to say second grade level but that would
            > be caricature. I
            > guess seventh grade is more realistic (and even that may
            > exhibit a warped
            > perception). Personally I prefer Bram (et al.)'s
            > documentation: vimtutor, user
            > manual, reference manual. YMMV.
            >

            > Best regards,
            > Tony.

            Well, since you are what I'd consider a Vim guru, I wouldn't think that
            this book would be of any use to you. I'd consider your expertise in Vim
            to be very advanced. From what little I've read so far, I say the book
            is targeted at users of intermediate or just beyond beginner level of
            expertise in Vim. My opinion may change as I get farther in the book.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
              Mike Hansen wrote:

              >>> I purchased this book from the publisher's web site last weekend. I
              >>> bought the combo PDF and dead-tree version. I haven't got
              >> the dead-tree
              >>> version yet, but I'm reading the PDF. I thought the first
              >> chapter on the
              >>> history of vi, Vim, and vi clones wasn't really that
              >> necessary and could
              >>> have been spent on other hacking topics. I'm in the middle
              >> of the 2nd
              >>> chapter now. Note: The 2nd chapter is the sample chapter
              >> available for
              >>> download. It's pretty good. So far, I think the book will
              >> be helpful in
              >>> learning more about Vim.
              >>>
              >>> Mike
              >> I've had a look at the online sample chapter and it sounds
              >> quite "slow-paced"
              >> to me. I'm tempted to say second grade level but that would
              >> be caricature. I
              >> guess seventh grade is more realistic (and even that may
              >> exhibit a warped
              >> perception). Personally I prefer Bram (et al.)'s
              >> documentation: vimtutor, user
              >> manual, reference manual. YMMV.
              >>

              >> Best regards,
              >> Tony.
              >
              > Well, since you are what I'd consider a Vim guru, I wouldn't think that
              > this book would be of any use to you. I'd consider your expertise in Vim
              > to be very advanced. From what little I've read so far, I say the book
              > is targeted at users of intermediate or just beyond beginner level of
              > expertise in Vim. My opinion may change as I get farther in the book.
              >
              > Mike

              Don't flatter me; there I lots of things about Vim that I know only spottily,
              if at all. Even yesterday I reported as a bug something that was actually a
              feature (well, I would call it a misfeature but at least it was documented,
              intended behaviour. I just hadn't done my homework.)

              My greatest joy was when I read the announcement about the (then) new
              ":helpgrep" command. When was it? ah, gotcha. 6.1.423. There are a number of
              gurus still around who remember Vim 5, I don't. Call me a greenhorn guru at best.

              One of my strengths is multi-encoding support, but that's only because I
              delved early (for me) and assiduously into ":help Unicode" and ":help
              keymap-file-format"; and the reason I was motivated was because I wanted to
              write a multilingual Welcome page. Now I'm proud of it,
              http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/ and it's true Unicode: &entities;
              were cumbersome to the point of unusability. (I have another multilingual page
              which is a different kind of fun, at
              http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/imbecile.htm -- cave paginam!)
              The latest thing I added to them both was favicons; but I wander.

              What I did, anyone can do, given enough time and dedication.

            • Bill McCarthy
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
                On Wed 1-Aug-07 12:03pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

                > I've had a look at the online sample chapter and it sounds
                > quite "slow-paced" to me. I'm tempted to say second grade
                > level but that would be caricature. I guess seventh grade
                > is more realistic (and even that may exhibit a warped
                > perception). Personally I prefer Bram (et al.)'s
                > documentation: vimtutor, user manual, reference manual.
                > YMMV.

                I scanned the first few pages and came across an example of
                using :match to highlight the portion of a line longer than
                73 characters. The example is:

                :match errorMsg /\%>73v.\+/

                Of course that could have been written as:

                :match ErrorMsg /\%73v.\+/

                or, I think better (at least shorter):

                :match ErrorMsg /\%>73v./

                But this mini-redundancy isn't what caught my attention,
                the explanation states that the 'v' causes '.\+' to be
                treated as very special.

                (1) the 'v' causes '\%>' to operate on virtual columns and
                (2) if '.\+' were treated as very special, as /\v%>73v.\+/
                only plus signs and the character before them would be
                highlighted when beyond 73 virtual columns.

                Bill

              • liviu.vasut@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2, 2007
                  Hi Tony,
                  this is not related to the subject, sorry!
                  I just had to thank Tony for the link to his page. I was looking for
                  the Dào-dé Jīng book written both in chinese and other language for
                  years. I had one in hard copy (translated in my native language!), I
                  borrowed it to a 'friend' and never saw it from then.... very sad.
                  Some of the links are broken though. Are you planning to check on the
                  site soon? I will try to mirror it every 3-4 weeks until it's ok :).
                  Thanks again for the link, I found many things inside that relate to
                  me.
                  Liviu

                  On Aug 1, 10:30 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
                  wrote:

                  > One of my strengths is multi-encoding support, but that's only because I
                  > delved early (for me) and assiduously into ":help Unicode" and ":help
                  > keymap-file-format"; and the reason I was motivated was because I wanted to
                  > write a multilingual Welcome page. Now I'm proud of it,http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/and it's true Unicode: &entities;
                  > were cumbersome to the point of unusability. (I have another multilingual page
                  > which is a different kind of fun, athttp://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/imbecile.htm-- cave paginam!)
                  > The latest thing I added to them both was favicons; but I wander.
                  >
                  > What I did, anyone can do, given enough time and dedication.
                  >
                  > Best regards,
                  > Tony.

                • Franco Saliola
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 4, 2007
                    On 8/4/07, zzapper <zzapper@...> wrote:

                    > A new book on VIM is to be welcomed. I still remember the
                    > documentation I was given to learn VI ( on a torn off piece of paper)
                    >
                    > i insert
                    > x delete a character
                    > :wq to save & exit

                    The first command I was ever taught was

                    :q!

                    He clearly wasn't a fan.

                    Franco

                  • Ted Pavlic
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 16, 2007
                      > I've had a look at the online sample chapter and it sounds quite
                      > "slow-paced" to me. I'm tempted to say second grade level but that
                      > would be caricature. I guess seventh grade is more realistic (and
                      > even that may exhibit a warped perception). Personally I prefer Bram
                      > (et al.)'s documentation: vimtutor, user manual, reference manual.
                      > YMMV.

                      FWIW, I've been pretty disappointed with the book. Just as sections get
                      interesting, it refers the reader to help pages. I was hoping it would
                      serve as a good text reference with a nice index that I could use to
                      look things up when I want to do something new in Vim7. I was
                      disappointed to find how TINY the book is.

                      All of the introductory material in the book suggests that it should be
                      for experts looking to augment their skills. However, it seems more
                      accurate that it's for beginners looking to become experts.

                      An expert may get more out of a good quick reference taped to the wall.

                      It's great that there's a new book out about Vim7. However, it would be
                      a lot cooler if someone took the time to come up with a nice
                      comprehensive up-to-date Vim reference that had sections catered for
                      people looking to do something more advanced.

                      --Ted

                      --
                      Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

                    • Ted Pavlic
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 16, 2007
                        > FWIW, I've been pretty disappointed with the book. Just as sections get
                        > interesting, it refers the reader to help pages. I was hoping it would
                        > serve as a good text reference with a nice index that I could use to
                        > look things up when I want to do something new in Vim7. I was
                        > disappointed to find how TINY the book is.

                        Oh, and the index in the back of the book (3 pages, two fronts and one
                        back) is really shotty. Granted, lots of people neglect tables of
                        contents, but shouldn't the index at least be more complete than the
                        TOC? (the TOC is 4 pages, two fronts and two backs)

                        I was hoping to have a textual reference with a good index that I could
                        peruse. :(

                        --Ted

                        --
                        Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 16, 2007
                          Ted Pavlic wrote:
                          >> I've had a look at the online sample chapter and it sounds quite
                          >> "slow-paced" to me. I'm tempted to say second grade level but that
                          >> would be caricature. I guess seventh grade is more realistic (and
                          >> even that may exhibit a warped perception). Personally I prefer Bram
                          >> (et al.)'s documentation: vimtutor, user manual, reference manual.
                          >> YMMV.
                          >
                          > FWIW, I've been pretty disappointed with the book. Just as sections get
                          > interesting, it refers the reader to help pages. I was hoping it would
                          > serve as a good text reference with a nice index that I could use to
                          > look things up when I want to do something new in Vim7. I was
                          > disappointed to find how TINY the book is.
                          >
                          > All of the introductory material in the book suggests that it should be
                          > for experts looking to augment their skills. However, it seems more
                          > accurate that it's for beginners looking to become experts.
                          >
                          > An expert may get more out of a good quick reference taped to the wall.
                          >
                          > It's great that there's a new book out about Vim7. However, it would be
                          > a lot cooler if someone took the time to come up with a nice
                          > comprehensive up-to-date Vim reference that had sections catered for
                          > people looking to do something more advanced.
                          >
                          > --Ted

                          I guess nothing beats the vimtutor and the online help. Especially with help
                          tag completion and helpgrep.

                          A musician of more ambition than talent composed an elegy at
                          the death of composer Edward MacDowell. She played the elegy for the
                          pianist Josef Hoffman, then asked his opinion. "Well, it's quite
                          nice," he replied, but don't you think it would be better if ..."
                          "If what?" asked the composer.
                          "If ... if you had died and MacDowell had written the elegy?"