Subject lines need attention too

  • Suresh Govindachar
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2007
      Hello,

      While creating an email, in addition to paying attention to
      formatting of the content (including top vs. bottom vs.
      interleaved quoting styles etc.), one needs to pay attention to
      the subject. Recently, there was not only a post with the
      following long garbled line as subject, but there was also a reply
      that preserved that line:

      Re: current selection not working Opções Neste momento, existem muitos tópicos neste grupo que são apresentados primeiro. Para que este tópico apareça primeiro, remova esta opção de outro tópico. Ocorreu um erro ao processar o pedido. Tente novamente. Vista padrão Ver como árvore Texto proporcional Texto fixo [Clique no envelope para receber actualizações por email] Enviar-me actualizações por emailCancelar as minhas actualizações por email current selection not working

      --Suresh

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2007
        Suresh Govindachar wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > While creating an email, in addition to paying attention to
        > formatting of the content (including top vs. bottom vs.
        > interleaved quoting styles etc.), one needs to pay attention to
        > the subject. Recently, there was not only a post with the
        > following long garbled line as subject, but there was also a reply
        > that preserved that line:
        >
        > Re: current selection not working Opções Neste momento, existem muitos tópicos neste grupo que são apresentados primeiro. Para que este tópico apareça primeiro, remova esta opção de outro tópico. Ocorreu um erro ao processar o pedido. Tente novamente. Vista padrão Ver como árvore Texto proporcional Texto fixo [Clique no envelope para receber actualizações por email] Enviar-me actualizações por emailCancelar as minhas actualizações por email current selection not working
        >
        > --Suresh

        Yes, and a reply (by me) to the reply, that preserved it too. You're right,
        sometimes people (such as me) click "Send" faster than they ought to.

        Newlan's Truism:
        An "acceptable" level of unemployment means that the government
        economist to whom it is acceptable still has a job.

      • fREW
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
          On 7/31/07, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

          > Suresh Govindachar wrote:
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > While creating an email, in addition to paying attention to
          > > formatting of the content (including top vs. bottom vs.
          > > interleaved quoting styles etc.), one needs to pay attention to
          > > the subject. Recently, there was not only a post with the
          > > following long garbled line as subject, but there was also a reply
          > > that preserved that line:
          > >
          > > Re: current selection not working Opções Neste momento, existem muitos tópicos neste grupo que são apresentados primeiro. Para que este tópico apareça primeiro, remova esta opção de outro tópico. Ocorreu um erro ao processar o pedido. Tente novamente. Vista padrão Ver como árvore Texto proporcional Texto fixo [Clique no envelope para receber actualizações por email] Enviar-me actualizações por emailCancelar as minhas actualizações por email current selection not working
          > >
          > > --Suresh

          Yeah, I presumed that somehow the guys mail editor was messed up
          because I can't see how anyone would purposefully do such a thing.

          --
          -fREW

          Q: Why is this email 5 sentences or less?
          A: http://five.sentenc.es

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
            fREW wrote:
            > On 7/31/07, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
            >> Suresh Govindachar wrote:
            >>> Hello,
            >>>
            >>> While creating an email, in addition to paying attention to
            >>> formatting of the content (including top vs. bottom vs.
            >>> interleaved quoting styles etc.), one needs to pay attention to
            >>> the subject. Recently, there was not only a post with the
            >>> following long garbled line as subject, but there was also a reply
            >>> that preserved that line:
            >>>
            >>> Re: current selection not working Opções Neste momento, existem muitos tópicos neste grupo que são apresentados primeiro. Para que este tópico apareça primeiro, remova esta opção de outro tópico. Ocorreu um erro ao processar o pedido. Tente novamente. Vista padrão Ver como árvore Texto proporcional Texto fixo [Clique no envelope para receber actualizações por email] Enviar-me actualizações por emailCancelar as minhas actualizações por email current selection not working
            >>>
            >>> --Suresh
            >
            > Yeah, I presumed that somehow the guys mail editor was messed up
            > because I can't see how anyone would purposefully do such a thing.

            Looks like a menu (in Portuguese), mistakenly copied. Spurious middle-click or
            Ctrl-V in the gmail webmail page maybe?

            What this world needs is a good five-dollar plasma weapon.

          • Gene Kwiecinski
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
              >>Yeah, I presumed that somehow the guys mail editor was messed up
              >>because I can't see how anyone would purposefully do such a thing.

              >Looks like a menu (in Portuguese), mistakenly copied. Spurious
              >middle-click or Ctrl-V in the gmail webmail page maybe?

              At least we know his version's compiled with "+clipboard"...

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
                Gene Kwiecinski wrote:
                >>> Yeah, I presumed that somehow the guys mail editor was messed up
                >>> because I can't see how anyone would purposefully do such a thing.
                >
                >> Looks like a menu (in Portuguese), mistakenly copied. Spurious
                >> middle-click or Ctrl-V in the gmail webmail page maybe?
                >
                > At least we know his version's compiled with "+clipboard"...

                His version of his browser? Certainly. His version of Vim has -clipboard, as
                shown in the ":version" text he copied in his original post.

                Harrisberger's Fourth Law of the Lab:
                Experience is directly proportional to the amount of equipment
                ruined.

              • Gene Kwiecinski
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
                  >>>Looks like a menu (in Portuguese), mistakenly copied. Spurious
                  >>>middle-click or Ctrl-V in the gmail webmail page maybe?
                  >>At least we know his version's compiled with "+clipboard"...
                  >His version of his browser? Certainly. His version of Vim has
                  -clipboard, as
                  >shown in the ":version" text he copied in his original post.

                  Nah, that was a joke. Like the funny kind, only different.

                • fREW
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
                    On 8/1/07, Gene Kwiecinski <gkwiecinski@...> wrote:

                    > >>At least we know his version's compiled with "+clipboard"...
                    > >His version of his browser? Certainly. His version of Vim has
                    > -clipboard, as
                    > >shown in the ":version" text he copied in his original post.
                    >
                    > Nah, that was a joke. Like the funny kind, only different.

                    I laughed!

                    --

                    A: http://five.sentenc.es