RE: current selection not working

  • Gene Kwiecinski
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2007
      >I've installed Slackware 12 and since then when I try to select some
      >text inside vim, that text is not added to the selection clipboard.

      >2- click on the beginning of a word with left button, drag to the end
      >of a second word. The text only gets inverted when I release the
      >button. Vim mode changes to visual but selected text doesn't show up
      >in Klipper and I'm not able to paste it anywhere.

      Ummm, I hope this doesn't sound *too* obvious, but once the text is
      highlighted, do you actually cut/copy it? Ie, hit ctl-insert or
      something?

      You could highlight text 'til you're blue in the face, but w/o doing the
      actual opreation to put it into the "clipboard", nothing'll happen.

      I dislike using the moose, so I'd put the cursor on the word, then hit
      've' to go into visual mode and get to the end of the word, then hit
      ctl-ins to grab it (highlighting should then turn *off*). But whether
      it's done with the keyboard or moose, you *should* need to actually
      perform the cut/copy first, no?

      If you're using some weirdo variant of X or whatever that *doesn't*
      require actually going that extra step, then disregard everything above.
      :D

    • luislupe@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2007
        Hi Gene,

        thank you for your answer but the problem still persists.

        Please read below.

        On 31 Jul, 15:37, "Gene Kwiecinski" <gkwiecin...@...> wrote:
        > >I've installed Slackware 12 and since then when I try to select some
        > >text inside vim, that text is not added to the selection clipboard.
        > >2- click on the beginning of a word with left button, drag to the end
        > >of a second word. The text only gets inverted when I release the
        > >button. Vim mode changes to visual but selected text doesn't show up
        > >in Klipper and I'm not able to paste it anywhere.
        >
        > Ummm, I hope this doesn't sound *too* obvious, but once the text is
        > highlighted, do you actually cut/copy it? Ie, hit ctl-insert or
        > something?
        >
        > You could highlight text 'til you're blue in the face, but w/o doing the
        > actual opreation to put it into the "clipboard", nothing'll happen.
        >
        > I dislike using the moose, so I'd put the cursor on the word, then hit
        > 've' to go into visual mode and get to the end of the word, then hit
        > ctl-ins to grab it (highlighting should then turn *off*).
        When I try to do this, I hear a beep when hit ctl-ins and no text is
        copied.

        But whether
        > it's done with the keyboard or moose, you *should* need to actually
        > perform the cut/copy first, no?
        I am used to select text on a vt, be it in vim or not, have the text
        automatically copied to the selection clipboard (shown in Klipper) and
        then being able to paste it in another vt with the middle button of
        the mouse, be it in vim or not. It used to work that way and it is
        very fast.

        > If you're using some weirdo variant of X or whatever that *doesn't*
        > require actually going that extra step, then disregard everything above.
        > :D
        I always used regular configurations on X. As for vim normally I only
        change configuration of ts, highlights, numbering.

        Luis

      • Gene Kwiecinski
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 2007
          >thank you for your answer but the problem still persists.

          Hmmmm.

          >>Ummm, I hope this doesn't sound *too* obvious, but once the text is
          >>highlighted, do you actually cut/copy it? Ie, hit ctl-insert or
          >>something?
          >>You could highlight text 'til you're blue in the face, but w/o doing
          the
          >>actual opreation to put it into the "clipboard", nothing'll happen.
          >>I dislike using the moose, so I'd put the cursor on the word, then hit
          >>'ve' to go into visual mode and get to the end of the word, then hit
          >>ctl-ins to grab it (highlighting should then turn *off*).

          >When I try to do this, I hear a beep when hit ctl-ins and no text is
          >copied.

          Okay, maybe that key-combo isn't mapped to anything; I just use that to
          not have to "toggle modes" too much between ctl-ins/ctl-del/sh-ins and
          ^C/^X/^V to copy/cut/paste, respectively.

          When I was working on X ('olwm') over Solaris, I had to right-click on
          the moose and drag down to the copy/cut/paste popup-menu items to do
          anything, as it was horribly moose-centric. Just highlighting was never
          enough, either, and I had to take an explicit step to c/x/v anything.

          >>If you're using some weirdo variant of X or whatever that *doesn't*
          >>require actually going that extra step, then disregard everything
          above.

          >I always used regular configurations on X. As for vim normally I only
          >change configuration of ts, highlights, numbering.

          Hmm. Odd...

          What about the vimmy way of yanking/putting things to the '*' or '+'
          registers? Eg, something like

          :"*y or :"+y to yank

          and

          :"*p or :"+p to put