Re: tell vim to let go after launching firefox

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2007
      BartlebyScrivener wrote:
      > This mapping lets me put the cursor on a url and launch firefox from
      > within gvim.
      >
      > nmap ,ff :update<CR>:silent !firefox <cWORD><CR>
      >
      > However, when I do so, gvim "waits" and is unusable until I close
      > firefox.
      >
      > How can I tell gvim to launch firefox and "let go" of the process.
      >
      > I'm on Debian Etch if that matters.
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > rd

      Add & between <cWORD> and <CR> so the shell will know to fork Firefox

      If it doesn't work, then

      :map ,ff :update|silent !bash -c firefox <cWORD> &<CR>

      Dealing with failure is easy: work hard to improve. Success is also
      easy to handle: you've solved the wrong problem. Work hard to
      improve.

    • BartlebyScrivener
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20, 2007
        On Jul 20, 3:42 pm, Gary Johnson <garyj...@...> wrote:

        > nmap ,ff :update<CR>:silent !firefox <cWORD>&<CR>
        >
        > That will tell the shell to run firefox in the background.

        Duh!

        Perfect. Thank you. I should have asked sooner.

        rd