tell vim to let go after launching firefox

  • BartlebyScrivener
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2007
      This mapping lets me put the cursor on a url and launch firefox from
      within gvim.

      nmap ,ff :update<CR>:silent !firefox <cWORD><CR>

      However, when I do so, gvim "waits" and is unusable until I close
      firefox.

      How can I tell gvim to launch firefox and "let go" of the process.

      I'm on Debian Etch if that matters.

      Thank you,

      rd

    • Gary Johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20, 2007
        On 2007-07-20, BartlebyScrivener <bscrivener42@...> wrote:
        > This mapping lets me put the cursor on a url and launch firefox from
        > within gvim.
        >
        > nmap ,ff :update<CR>:silent !firefox <cWORD><CR>
        >
        > However, when I do so, gvim "waits" and is unusable until I close
        > firefox.
        >
        > How can I tell gvim to launch firefox and "let go" of the process.
        >
        > I'm on Debian Etch if that matters.

        nmap ,ff :update<CR>:silent !firefox <cWORD>&<CR>

        That will tell the shell to run firefox in the background.

        HTH,
        Gary

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 20, 2007
          BartlebyScrivener wrote:
          > This mapping lets me put the cursor on a url and launch firefox from
          > within gvim.
          >
          > nmap ,ff :update<CR>:silent !firefox <cWORD><CR>
          >
          > However, when I do so, gvim "waits" and is unusable until I close
          > firefox.
          >
          > How can I tell gvim to launch firefox and "let go" of the process.
          >
          > I'm on Debian Etch if that matters.
          >
          > Thank you,
          >
          > rd

          Add & between <cWORD> and <CR> so the shell will know to fork Firefox

          If it doesn't work, then

          :map ,ff :update|silent !bash -c firefox <cWORD> &<CR>

          Dealing with failure is easy: work hard to improve. Success is also
          easy to handle: you've solved the wrong problem. Work hard to
          improve.

        • BartlebyScrivener
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 20, 2007
            On Jul 20, 3:42 pm, Gary Johnson <garyj...@...> wrote:

            > nmap ,ff :update<CR>:silent !firefox <cWORD>&<CR>
            >
            > That will tell the shell to run firefox in the background.

            Duh!

            Perfect. Thank you. I should have asked sooner.

            rd