yanked 53 lines, pasted 50?

  • Jerry
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20 11:12 AM
      I yanked 53 lines, but when I pasted it to another file, I got only 50
      lines. The last three lines are gone. Is there a limitation of how
      many lines vim can hold?

      Thanks.

    • Gene Kwiecinski
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20 11:36 AM
        >I yanked 53 lines, but when I pasted it to another file, I got only 50
        >lines. The last three lines are gone. Is there a limitation of how
        >many lines vim can hold?

        Gnope, not that I ever encountered. Did 1000s of lines w/o a hitch.

        How'd you yank 'em originally? '53Y'? Highlight visually and then yank
        'em?

        No weirdo control chars anywhere to mung the c&p?

      • Jerry
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 20 12:21 PM
          I did use the visual mode.
          I tried yanking 100 lines, it still only gave me 50.

          On Jul 20, 1:36 pm, "Gene Kwiecinski" <gkwiecin...@...> wrote:
          > >I yanked 53 lines, but when I pasted it to another file, I got only 50
          > >lines. The last three lines are gone. Is there a limitation of how
          > >many lines vim can hold?
          >
          > Gnope, not that I ever encountered. Did 1000s of lines w/o a hitch.
          >
          > How'd you yank 'em originally? '53Y'? Highlight visually and then yank
          > 'em?
          >
          > No weirdo control chars anywhere to mung the c&p?

        • Matthew Winn
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 21 1:01 AM
            On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:21:35 -0000, Jerry <zhiweiwang@...>
            wrote:

            > I did use the visual mode.
            > I tried yanking 100 lines, it still only gave me 50.

            Are you quitting Vim between the yank and the put? By default only 50
            lines are saved: see ":help 'viminfo'" for details. If you stay in Vim
            then there's no practical limit on the number of lines saved.

            --
            Matthew Winn