Opening huge files like less

  • FASTo
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 20, 2007
      Is there a way to open a huge file like less can do ?
      I mean, less open a file without loading it entirely on the memory..
      I'm not sure if vim do this, but it takes a lot of time to start and
      consumes a lot of memory.

      Does vim have a feature I don't know ?

    • Zhaojun WU
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 20, 2007
        On 7/21/07, FASTo <fausto.blanco@...> wrote:

        > Is there a way to open a huge file like less can do ?
        > I mean, less open a file without loading it entirely on the memory..
        > I'm not sure if vim do this, but it takes a lot of time to start and
        > consumes a lot of memory.
        >
        > Does vim have a feature I don't know ?

        I think Dr. Chip's LargeFile plug-in could help you out. Please check:

        HTH,

        Zhaojun

        --
        Best,
        Zhaojun (Joseph)

      • Tom Purl
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 20, 2007
          On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 05:00:20PM -0000, FASTo wrote:

          > Is there a way to open a huge file like less can do ? I mean, less
          > open a file without loading it entirely on the memory.. I'm not sure
          > if vim do this, but it takes a lot of time to start and consumes a lot
          > of memory.

          I believe that there are some features that you can use to cut down on
          vim's necessary memory footprint. However, this has been discussed in
          the past, and the consensus often has been to use stream processing
          tools (grep, sed, awk, etc) instead of vim if the file is too big for
          vim.

          HTH!

          Tom Purl

        • FASTo
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 20, 2007
            I know the alternatives you have posted here and appreciate your help,
            but the problem I'm facing now is that none of the other tools you've
            cited supports syntax highlighting. I have a huge log file and a
            syntax highlighting script that facilitates a lot the identification
            of what's happening in the log. Unfortunately, I'm unable to open the
            log with syntax highlighting because vim is using a lot of memory to
            load the file (I'm using 'less' instead).

            Do vim load the entire file in the memory ?

            I realy would like to know if there are any features to limit memory
            usage.

            On Jul 20, 4:25 pm, Tom Purl <t...@...> wrote:
            > On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 05:00:20PM -0000, FASTo wrote:
            >
            > > Is there a way to open a huge file like less can do ? I mean, less
            > > open a file without loading it entirely on the memory.. I'm not sure
            > > if vim do this, but it takes a lot of time to start and consumes a lot
            > > of memory.
            >
            > I believe that there are some features that you can use to cut down on
            > vim's necessary memory footprint. However, this has been discussed in
            > the past, and the consensus often has been to use stream processing
            > tools (grep, sed, awk, etc) instead of vim if the file is too big for
            > vim.
            >
            > HTH!
            >
            > Tom Purl

          • Franco Saliola
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 20, 2007
              On 7/20/07, FASTo <fausto.blanco@...> wrote:

              > I know the alternatives you have posted here and appreciate your help,
              > but the problem I'm facing now is that none of the other tools you've
              > cited supports syntax highlighting.

              A quick google for 'less syntax-highlighting' brings up the following:

              "lesspipe.sh is an input filter for the pager less ... Recently syntax
              highlighting was added through a perl script"

              http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~friebel/unix/lesspipe.html

              Franco

            • FASTo
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 25, 2007
                OK, thaks for your help but google is an really obvious option ;)

                I have already seen that it's possible to do it with the lesspipe.sh
                but the syntax-highlighting is done with a perl script. Unfortunately,
                it's not so easy to add customs syntax coloring =/

                That's because I ended up posting this message on the vim users'
                group. I really would like to know if vim does have any solution to
                this kind of problem. Does it ?