RE: subscription and e-mail usage problem

  • Suresh Govindachar
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007
      Tony wrote:

      > At @..., I received both confirmation
      > emails from vim-experiment (the first one
      > _asking_ for confirmation and the other one
      > saying I was subscribed) but nothing else,
      > neither copies of what I was posting nor of
      > what other people were posting.

      Question for Tony: How did you respond to the first
      email, the one _asking_ for confirmation? Did you
      send a reply or did you click on a link?

      Suggestion for Rob: use the click method.

      --Suresh

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007
        Suresh Govindachar wrote:
        > Tony wrote:
        >
        > > At @..., I received both confirmation
        > > emails from vim-experiment (the first one
        > > _asking_ for confirmation and the other one
        > > saying I was subscribed) but nothing else,
        > > neither copies of what I was posting nor of
        > > what other people were posting.
        >
        > Question for Tony: How did you respond to the first
        > email, the one _asking_ for confirmation? Did you
        > send a reply or did you click on a link?

        As I already sed in respond to a similar question earlier: I don't remember. I
        think I clicked on a link but I'm not sure.

        > Suggestion for Rob: use the click method.
        >
        > --Suresh

        Some points to remember [about animals]:

        (1) Don't go to sleep under big animals, e.g., elephants, rhinoceri,
        hippopotamuses;
        (2) Don't put animals with sharp teeth or poisonous fangs down the
        front of your clothes;
        (3) Don't pat certain animals, e.g., crocodiles and scorpions or dogs
        you have just kicked.
        -- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007

          > Suggestion for Rob: use the click method.
          >
          > --Suresh

          Thanks, but I've tried both and neither works. I
          have unsubscribed and resubscribed, I have
          changed my e-mail address on the account
          that works, o2.co.uk to the one that doesn't
          gsi.de, confirmed the change, then I can no
          longer send posts or receive from the list, both
          of which I can do on the o2.co.uk. I think Tony
          may have hit on the only possible method, but
          I don't like it :-)

        • Andy Kittner
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007
            Hi all, I just want to add my 2cent to the mystery...

            I subscribed to vim-experiment via the email interface and after I send
            the confirmation mail I got back an email that stated that I was already
            subscribed. At first I thought that some error had occurred, but when
            emails arrived I decided to ignore it.

            After Bram announced that he had also moved vim-dev and vim-user, I
            tried subscribing the same way - this time I got positive answers to my
            confirmation mails, but than didn't receive any Messages since then.

            So I conclude that my ISP doesn't filter, but the subscription process
            is a bit buggy.. I just flipped my subscription via the web-interface
            from email to off and than back on and see what happens. If it doesn't
            work I'll probably try playing the unsubscribe/ subscribe game and if
            that doesn't help either, well gmane gets vim-dev and vim-user mail
            again so I'll just go back to lurk using their nntp service ;-)

            Just one more thing: As quite some people seem to have problems, has
            anybody tried contacting the google people yet? Might save future
            subscribers some confusion if the problem could be fixed at the source.

            best regards
            Andy

            --
            BOFH Excuse #94: