Re: subscription and e-mail usage problem

  • vim-rob
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007
      Tony, your help is greatly appreciated, but frankly I've had enough of
      this for
      today, it seems that google groups just will not accept the e-mail
      address that
      I want to use. I can't understand how you and I both received e-mails
      from
      the google groups e-mail address and yet you claim the e-mails from
      the list in
      your case are being blocked by skynet. The ones from the list come
      from the
      sender don't they, instead of google groups, or is skynet looking in
      the headers to
      then treat them as spam? Anyway, I s'pose you're probably not that
      bothered if
      you have a working solution ;-)
      Maybe I'll go down the same path as you by trying a gmail account
      forwarding in the
      next few days, when I have regained my strength and willpower!

      Thanks again for the help,
      Rob.

    • Suresh Govindachar
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007
        Tony wrote:

        > At @..., I received both confirmation
        > emails from vim-experiment (the first one
        > _asking_ for confirmation and the other one
        > saying I was subscribed) but nothing else,
        > neither copies of what I was posting nor of
        > what other people were posting.

        Question for Tony: How did you respond to the first
        email, the one _asking_ for confirmation? Did you
        send a reply or did you click on a link?

        Suggestion for Rob: use the click method.

        --Suresh

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007
          vim-rob wrote:
          > Tony, your help is greatly appreciated, but frankly I've had enough of
          > this for
          > today, it seems that google groups just will not accept the e-mail
          > address that
          > I want to use. I can't understand how you and I both received e-mails
          > from
          > the google groups e-mail address and yet you claim the e-mails from
          > the list in
          > your case are being blocked by skynet. The ones from the list come
          > from the
          > sender don't they, instead of google groups, or is skynet looking in
          > the headers to
          > then treat them as spam? Anyway, I s'pose you're probably not that
          > bothered if
          > you have a working solution ;-)
          > Maybe I'll go down the same path as you by trying a gmail account
          > forwarding in the
          > next few days, when I have regained my strength and willpower!
          >
          > Thanks again for the help,
          > Rob.

          If you've had enough of this for today, go to bed, then come back tomorrow,
          after your morning cup of coffee (or of tea or whatever) ;-)

          Email from the vim-experiment list came (when I had set my "group email
          address" to my @... address) from googlegroups.com to skynet.be, which
          dropped them on the floor, and never listed them as "available" when I tried
          to fetch them.

          Spam detection can be done in several ways: one common method is to check the
          headers of the message against public blacklists of "known sources of spam":
          if the mail comes from one of those "known sources", it is regarded as spam.
          The headers which are checked are the "Received" lines, which are added by
          each mail router down the line after the mail left the machine where it was
          created, and therefore cannot be counterfeit by the spammer.

          I don't use forwarding on my gmail account (I suspect that if I forwarded my
          gmail mail to my skynet account it would be subject to the same "spam"
          filters), I fetch it directly from pop.gmail.com, which requires not only
          creating a gmail account but also (in addition) enabling POP service on it and
          entering the correct settings in Thunderbird (or Outlook Express, SeaMonkey,
          IceApe, etc.).

          Windows
          M!uqoms

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007
            Suresh Govindachar wrote:
            > Tony wrote:
            >
            > > At @..., I received both confirmation
            > > emails from vim-experiment (the first one
            > > _asking_ for confirmation and the other one
            > > saying I was subscribed) but nothing else,
            > > neither copies of what I was posting nor of
            > > what other people were posting.
            >
            > Question for Tony: How did you respond to the first
            > email, the one _asking_ for confirmation? Did you
            > send a reply or did you click on a link?

            As I already sed in respond to a similar question earlier: I don't remember. I
            think I clicked on a link but I'm not sure.

            > Suggestion for Rob: use the click method.
            >
            > --Suresh

            Some points to remember [about animals]:

            (1) Don't go to sleep under big animals, e.g., elephants, rhinoceri,
            hippopotamuses;
            (2) Don't put animals with sharp teeth or poisonous fangs down the
            front of your clothes;
            (3) Don't pat certain animals, e.g., crocodiles and scorpions or dogs
            you have just kicked.
            -- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007

              > Suggestion for Rob: use the click method.
              >
              > --Suresh

              Thanks, but I've tried both and neither works. I
              have unsubscribed and resubscribed, I have
              changed my e-mail address on the account
              that works, o2.co.uk to the one that doesn't
              gsi.de, confirmed the change, then I can no
              longer send posts or receive from the list, both
              of which I can do on the o2.co.uk. I think Tony
              may have hit on the only possible method, but
              I don't like it :-)

            • Andy Kittner
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007
                Hi all, I just want to add my 2cent to the mystery...

                I subscribed to vim-experiment via the email interface and after I send
                the confirmation mail I got back an email that stated that I was already
                subscribed. At first I thought that some error had occurred, but when
                emails arrived I decided to ignore it.

                After Bram announced that he had also moved vim-dev and vim-user, I
                tried subscribing the same way - this time I got positive answers to my
                confirmation mails, but than didn't receive any Messages since then.

                So I conclude that my ISP doesn't filter, but the subscription process
                is a bit buggy.. I just flipped my subscription via the web-interface
                from email to off and than back on and see what happens. If it doesn't
                work I'll probably try playing the unsubscribe/ subscribe game and if
                that doesn't help either, well gmane gets vim-dev and vim-user mail
                again so I'll just go back to lurk using their nntp service ;-)

                Just one more thing: As quite some people seem to have problems, has
                anybody tried contacting the google people yet? Might save future
                subscribers some confusion if the problem could be fixed at the source.

                best regards
                Andy

                --
                BOFH Excuse #94: