Re: subscription and e-mail usage problem

  • vim-rob_old
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007
      On Jul 20, 2:19 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
      wrote:

      > > I had a similar problem here: after I subscribed (andhttp://groups.google.com/groups/mysubsconfirmed that I _was_ subscribed, and
      > > believe that Skynet treats Google Groups as spam.

      I think you've partially hit the nail on the head, I think the gsi
      server must be doing the same
      thing, because if I send an e-mail to the vim subscription address, I
      never get a reply
      back for me to confirm. However I get the error messages back saying
      that I'm not
      allowed to post, how can that be!

      > > The following cured the problem:
      > >
      > > - Get a Gmail account
      > > - Tell my mail client (Thunderbird, but what Thunderbird can do, SeaMonkey can
      > > do too, and IceApe is based on SeaMonkey) to get mail from that gmail account
      > > in addition to my existing mail account (Warning: SSL must be used).
      > > using the Google Groups' Web interface.
      > >
      > > Oh, and by the way: you _are_ subscribed to vim_use, since that's where I got
      > > your post quoted above.

      no, that was sent from a different e-mail address, I can post nothing
      from my gsi
      address, I just tried it and I get an error back from
      noreply@... saying:

      join the
      group before being allowed to post, or this group may not be open to
      posting.

      Visit http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/about?hl=en to join or
      learn more about who
      is allowed to post to the group.

      Help on using Google Groups is also available at:
      http://groups.google.com/support?hl=en

      Useful, hey.
      I could try your method Tony, but it doesn't seem we have quite the
      same problem. As I receive some e-mails from google groups.

      I am not clear, must one join google groups and also subscribe to the
      vim mailing list?

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007
        vim-rob_old wrote:
        > On Jul 20, 2:19 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
        > wrote:
        >>> I had a similar problem here: after I subscribed (andhttp://groups.google.com/groups/mysubsconfirmed that I _was_ subscribed, and
        >>> believe that Skynet treats Google Groups as spam.
        >
        > I think you've partially hit the nail on the head, I think the gsi
        > server must be doing the same
        > thing, because if I send an e-mail to the vim subscription address, I
        > never get a reply
        > back for me to confirm. However I get the error messages back saying
        > that I'm not
        > allowed to post, how can that be!
        >

        >>> The following cured the problem:
        >>>
        >>> - Get a Gmail account
        >>> - Tell my mail client (Thunderbird, but what Thunderbird can do, SeaMonkey can
        >>> do too, and IceApe is based on SeaMonkey) to get mail from that gmail account
        >>> in addition to my existing mail account (Warning: SSL must be used).
        >>> using the Google Groups' Web interface.
        >>>
        >>> Oh, and by the way: you _are_ subscribed to vim_use, since that's where I got
        >>> your post quoted above.
        >
        > no, that was sent from a different e-mail address, I can post nothing
        > from my gsi
        > address, I just tried it and I get an error back from
        > noreply@... saying:

        > join the
        > group before being allowed to post, or this group may not be open to
        > posting.
        >
        > Visit http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/about?hl=en to join or
        > learn more about who
        > is allowed to post to the group.
        >
        > Help on using Google Groups is also available at:
        > http://groups.google.com/support?hl=en
        >
        > Useful, hey.
        > I could try your method Tony, but it doesn't seem we have quite the
        > same problem. As I receive some e-mails from google groups.
        >
        > I am not clear, must one join google groups and also subscribe to the
        > vim mailing list?

        At @..., I received both confirmation emails from vim-experiment (the
        first one _asking_ for confirmation and the other one saying I was subscribed)
        but nothing else, neither copies of what I was posting nor of what other
        people were posting. Subscribing to Gmail cured that problem: now I get both
        my posts and other people's.

        IIUC, subscribing to the Vim mailing list /ipso facto/ makes you join Google
        Groups. I may be wrong though; when I subscribed to vim-experiment (by sending
        mail to vim-experiment@...) I already had a Google Groups account, and
        vim-experiment got added besides the group to which I was already subscribed.

        When posting, be sure to use your email-address-of-record (the one you used as
        from-address when subscribing) as the "From" address of your post, because
        anyone can join the group, but only members can post. I'm using my @...
        address in the from-line of this post even though I'm sending this to the SMTP
        server operated by skynet.be -- and both Skynet and Google let this outgoing
        mail of mine through. My problem was exclusively with receiving Google mail
        through pop.skynet.be

        IIUC, you can change your email-address-of record by going to
        http://groups.google.com and signing in with your (old) email address. You
        need a password though; if you don't yet have one, you must create an account
        or ask for a new password on an existing account.

        If all goes well, you should get two copies of this post: one directly (going
        straight from skynet.be [or Belgacom] to o2.co.uk) and the other through
        Google Groups. You can tell which is which by hitting Ctrl-U (or clicking View
        => Message Source) in IceApe: the "direct" email should have much fewer
        "Received" lines, and none of them should be from google.com servers.

        No good deed goes unpunished.
        -- Clare Boothe Luce

      • vim-rob
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007
          Tony, your help is greatly appreciated, but frankly I've had enough of
          this for
          today, it seems that google groups just will not accept the e-mail
          address that
          I want to use. I can't understand how you and I both received e-mails
          from
          the google groups e-mail address and yet you claim the e-mails from
          the list in
          your case are being blocked by skynet. The ones from the list come
          from the
          sender don't they, instead of google groups, or is skynet looking in
          the headers to
          then treat them as spam? Anyway, I s'pose you're probably not that
          bothered if
          you have a working solution ;-)
          Maybe I'll go down the same path as you by trying a gmail account
          forwarding in the
          next few days, when I have regained my strength and willpower!

          Thanks again for the help,
          Rob.

        • Suresh Govindachar
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007
            Tony wrote:

            > At @..., I received both confirmation
            > emails from vim-experiment (the first one
            > _asking_ for confirmation and the other one
            > saying I was subscribed) but nothing else,
            > neither copies of what I was posting nor of
            > what other people were posting.

            Question for Tony: How did you respond to the first
            email, the one _asking_ for confirmation? Did you
            send a reply or did you click on a link?

            Suggestion for Rob: use the click method.

            --Suresh

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007
              vim-rob wrote:
              > Tony, your help is greatly appreciated, but frankly I've had enough of
              > this for
              > today, it seems that google groups just will not accept the e-mail
              > address that
              > I want to use. I can't understand how you and I both received e-mails
              > from
              > the google groups e-mail address and yet you claim the e-mails from
              > the list in
              > your case are being blocked by skynet. The ones from the list come
              > from the
              > sender don't they, instead of google groups, or is skynet looking in
              > the headers to
              > then treat them as spam? Anyway, I s'pose you're probably not that
              > bothered if
              > you have a working solution ;-)
              > Maybe I'll go down the same path as you by trying a gmail account
              > forwarding in the
              > next few days, when I have regained my strength and willpower!
              >
              > Thanks again for the help,
              > Rob.

              If you've had enough of this for today, go to bed, then come back tomorrow,
              after your morning cup of coffee (or of tea or whatever) ;-)

              Email from the vim-experiment list came (when I had set my "group email
              address" to my @... address) from googlegroups.com to skynet.be, which
              dropped them on the floor, and never listed them as "available" when I tried
              to fetch them.

              Spam detection can be done in several ways: one common method is to check the
              headers of the message against public blacklists of "known sources of spam":
              if the mail comes from one of those "known sources", it is regarded as spam.
              The headers which are checked are the "Received" lines, which are added by
              each mail router down the line after the mail left the machine where it was
              created, and therefore cannot be counterfeit by the spammer.

              I don't use forwarding on my gmail account (I suspect that if I forwarded my
              gmail mail to my skynet account it would be subject to the same "spam"
              filters), I fetch it directly from pop.gmail.com, which requires not only
              creating a gmail account but also (in addition) enabling POP service on it and
              entering the correct settings in Thunderbird (or Outlook Express, SeaMonkey,
              IceApe, etc.).

              Windows
              M!uqoms

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007
                Suresh Govindachar wrote:
                > Tony wrote:
                >
                > > At @..., I received both confirmation
                > > emails from vim-experiment (the first one
                > > _asking_ for confirmation and the other one
                > > saying I was subscribed) but nothing else,
                > > neither copies of what I was posting nor of
                > > what other people were posting.
                >
                > Question for Tony: How did you respond to the first
                > email, the one _asking_ for confirmation? Did you
                > send a reply or did you click on a link?

                As I already sed in respond to a similar question earlier: I don't remember. I
                think I clicked on a link but I'm not sure.

                > Suggestion for Rob: use the click method.
                >
                > --Suresh

                Some points to remember [about animals]:

                (1) Don't go to sleep under big animals, e.g., elephants, rhinoceri,
                hippopotamuses;
                (2) Don't put animals with sharp teeth or poisonous fangs down the
                front of your clothes;
                (3) Don't pat certain animals, e.g., crocodiles and scorpions or dogs
                you have just kicked.
                -- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007

                  > Suggestion for Rob: use the click method.
                  >
                  > --Suresh

                  Thanks, but I've tried both and neither works. I
                  have unsubscribed and resubscribed, I have
                  changed my e-mail address on the account
                  that works, o2.co.uk to the one that doesn't
                  gsi.de, confirmed the change, then I can no
                  longer send posts or receive from the list, both
                  of which I can do on the o2.co.uk. I think Tony
                  may have hit on the only possible method, but
                  I don't like it :-)

                • Andy Kittner
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 20, 2007
                    Hi all, I just want to add my 2cent to the mystery...

                    I subscribed to vim-experiment via the email interface and after I send
                    the confirmation mail I got back an email that stated that I was already
                    subscribed. At first I thought that some error had occurred, but when
                    emails arrived I decided to ignore it.

                    After Bram announced that he had also moved vim-dev and vim-user, I
                    tried subscribing the same way - this time I got positive answers to my
                    confirmation mails, but than didn't receive any Messages since then.

                    So I conclude that my ISP doesn't filter, but the subscription process
                    is a bit buggy.. I just flipped my subscription via the web-interface
                    from email to off and than back on and see what happens. If it doesn't
                    work I'll probably try playing the unsubscribe/ subscribe game and if
                    that doesn't help either, well gmane gets vim-dev and vim-user mail
                    again so I'll just go back to lurk using their nntp service ;-)

                    Just one more thing: As quite some people seem to have problems, has
                    anybody tried contacting the google people yet? Might save future
                    subscribers some confusion if the problem could be fixed at the source.

                    best regards
                    Andy

                    --
                    BOFH Excuse #94: