Re: Syntax Highlighting works for one file only

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2007
      Tim Johnson wrote:
      > Hello:
      > I'm using vim compiled as 'vim.full' for kubuntu 7.04 amd-64.
      > I can load one file and one file only - it's a python file - where
      > syntax highlighting comes on automatically. Any subsequent
      > files with a .py extension are loaded with only strings highlighted.
      > :setf python enables full highlighting
      >
      > I'm baffled. I've rebuilt .vimrc and .gvimrc one line at a time
      > and I see nothing that could be causing this.
      >
      > Any and all help would be appreciated.
      > Thanks
      > Tim

      In your second (badly highlighted) *.py file, what does Vim answer to

      :verbose set filetype?

      ?

      VIRGO (Aug 23 - Sept 22)
      You are the logical type and hate disorder. This nitpicking is
      sickening to your friends. You are cold and unemotional and
      sometimes fall asleep while making love. Virgos make good bus
      drivers.
    • Tim Johnson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2007
        On Tuesday 05 June 2007, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

        > In your second (badly highlighted) *.py file, what does Vim answer to
        >
        > :verbose set filetype?

        filetype=conf
        Last set from /usr/share/vim/vim70/filetype.vim
        Hmm!
        Thanks Tony
        Tim
      • A.J.Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2007
          Tim Johnson wrote:
          > On Tuesday 05 June 2007, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
          >
          >> In your second (badly highlighted) *.py file, what does Vim answer to
          >>
          >> :verbose set filetype?
          >>
          > filetype=conf
          > Last set from /usr/share/vim/vim70/filetype.vim
          > Hmm!
          > Thanks Tony
          > Tim

          Hm. In the Vim 7.1 filetype.vim, filetype "conf" is set for any file, one of
          the first 5 lines of which starts with #, but only if everything else fails
          (and *.py is detected as type "python" before that...)

          I wonder what causes your first *.py, but not the others, to be detected as
          python.

          "I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it
          scattered around the beaches of the world ... Perhaps you've seen it.
          -- Steven Wright
        • Tim Johnson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2007
            On Tuesday 05 June 2007, you wrote:

            > Hm. In the Vim 7.1 filetype.vim, filetype "conf" is set for any file, one
            > of the first 5 lines of which starts with #, but only if everything else
            > fails (and *.py is detected as type "python" before that...)
            >
            > I wonder what causes your first *.py, but not the others, to be detected as
            > python.
            The first file, the one that got good syntax highlighting, did not have
            a she-bang line, others did not.
            I'm having a similar problem:
            I also program with a language called rebol.
            filetype.vim does not properly "understand" how rebol works.
            Here is the original code:
            " Rexx, Rebol or R
            au BufNewFile,BufRead *.r,*.R call s:FTr()

            fun! s:FTr()
            if getline(1) =~ '^REBOL'
            setf rebol
            else
            let n = 1
            let max = line("$")
            if max > 50
            let max = 50
            endif
            while n < max
            " R has # comments
            if getline(n) =~ '^\s*#'
            setf r
            break
            endif
            " Rexx has /* comments */
            if getline(n) =~ '^\s*/\*'
            setf rexx
            break
            endif
            let n = n + 1
            endwhile
            if n >= max
            setf rexx
            endif
            endif
            endfun
            # it is incomplete because a rebol file may
            1)begin with the regex "REBOL" in either lower or upper or mixed case
            2)begin with a shebang line containing "rebol"
            3)furthermore, in some cases neither condition would be present.

            Thus, I found that any rebol file *without* the shebang line highlighted
            properly, but with the shebang line, needed :setf rebol

            Now here is what is weird:
            I changed the code in filetype to the following simpler approach:
            au BufNewFile,BufRead *.r,*.R,*.reb setf rebol
            removing function FTr entirely
            but the same symptoms remain.

            I would suspect that there is a side effect from some other file
            that is sourced. When I get more time, I will remove files from
            ~/.vim/plugin , ... autoload etc and see what happens as I add
            them back in. In the meantime, this highly annoying but not a
            crisis, after all setf does the job.

            thanks for looking into this,
            I'd welcome other comments all the same.
            regards
            tim
          • Tim Johnson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 5, 2007
              On Tuesday 05 June 2007, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
              > Tim Johnson wrote:
              > > Hello:
              > > I'm using vim compiled as 'vim.full' for kubuntu 7.04 amd-64.
              > > I can load one file and one file only - it's a python file - where
              > > syntax highlighting comes on automatically. Any subsequent
              > > files with a .py extension are loaded with only strings highlighted.
              > >
              > > :setf python enables full highlighting
              > >
              > > I'm baffled. I've rebuilt .vimrc and .gvimrc one line at a time
              > > and I see nothing that could be causing this.
              Just for a quick test, I changed the name of the .vim
              directory. The symptoms that I described vanished.
              It would seem to be in the plugin or autoload directories.
              I've got some *old* vim scripts in there ....
              tim