Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Syntax Highlighting works for one file only

Expand Messages
  • Tim Johnson
    Hello: I m using vim compiled as vim.full for kubuntu 7.04 amd-64. I can load one file and one file only - it s a python file - where syntax highlighting
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2007
      Hello:
      I'm using vim compiled as 'vim.full' for kubuntu 7.04 amd-64.
      I can load one file and one file only - it's a python file - where
      syntax highlighting comes on automatically. Any subsequent
      files with a .py extension are loaded with only strings highlighted.
      :setf python enables full highlighting

      I'm baffled. I've rebuilt .vimrc and .gvimrc one line at a time
      and I see nothing that could be causing this.

      Any and all help would be appreciated.
      Thanks
      Tim
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      ... In your second (badly highlighted) *.py file, what does Vim answer to ... ? Best regards, Tony. -- VIRGO (Aug 23 - Sept 22) You are the logical type and
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2007
        Tim Johnson wrote:
        > Hello:
        > I'm using vim compiled as 'vim.full' for kubuntu 7.04 amd-64.
        > I can load one file and one file only - it's a python file - where
        > syntax highlighting comes on automatically. Any subsequent
        > files with a .py extension are loaded with only strings highlighted.
        > :setf python enables full highlighting
        >
        > I'm baffled. I've rebuilt .vimrc and .gvimrc one line at a time
        > and I see nothing that could be causing this.
        >
        > Any and all help would be appreciated.
        > Thanks
        > Tim
        >

        In your second (badly highlighted) *.py file, what does Vim answer to

        :verbose set filetype?

        ?


        Best regards,
        Tony.
        --
        VIRGO (Aug 23 - Sept 22)
        You are the logical type and hate disorder. This nitpicking is
        sickening to your friends. You are cold and unemotional and
        sometimes fall asleep while making love. Virgos make good bus
        drivers.
      • Tim Johnson
        ... filetype=conf Last set from /usr/share/vim/vim70/filetype.vim Hmm! Thanks Tony Tim
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2007
          On Tuesday 05 June 2007, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

          > In your second (badly highlighted) *.py file, what does Vim answer to
          >
          > :verbose set filetype?
          >
          filetype=conf
          Last set from /usr/share/vim/vim70/filetype.vim
          Hmm!
          Thanks Tony
          Tim
        • A.J.Mechelynck
          ... Hm. In the Vim 7.1 filetype.vim, filetype conf is set for any file, one of the first 5 lines of which starts with #, but only if everything else fails
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2007
            Tim Johnson wrote:
            > On Tuesday 05 June 2007, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
            >
            >> In your second (badly highlighted) *.py file, what does Vim answer to
            >>
            >> :verbose set filetype?
            >>
            > filetype=conf
            > Last set from /usr/share/vim/vim70/filetype.vim
            > Hmm!
            > Thanks Tony
            > Tim
            >
            >
            >
            >

            Hm. In the Vim 7.1 filetype.vim, filetype "conf" is set for any file, one of
            the first 5 lines of which starts with #, but only if everything else fails
            (and *.py is detected as type "python" before that...)

            I wonder what causes your first *.py, but not the others, to be detected as
            python.


            Best regards,
            Tony.
            --
            "I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it
            scattered around the beaches of the world ... Perhaps you've seen it.
            -- Steven Wright
          • Tim Johnson
            ... The first file, the one that got good syntax highlighting, did not have a she-bang line, others did not. I m having a similar problem: I also program with
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 5, 2007
              On Tuesday 05 June 2007, you wrote:

              > Hm. In the Vim 7.1 filetype.vim, filetype "conf" is set for any file, one
              > of the first 5 lines of which starts with #, but only if everything else
              > fails (and *.py is detected as type "python" before that...)
              >
              > I wonder what causes your first *.py, but not the others, to be detected as
              > python.
              The first file, the one that got good syntax highlighting, did not have
              a she-bang line, others did not.
              I'm having a similar problem:
              I also program with a language called rebol.
              filetype.vim does not properly "understand" how rebol works.
              Here is the original code:
              " Rexx, Rebol or R
              au BufNewFile,BufRead *.r,*.R call s:FTr()

              fun! s:FTr()
              if getline(1) =~ '^REBOL'
              setf rebol
              else
              let n = 1
              let max = line("$")
              if max > 50
              let max = 50
              endif
              while n < max
              " R has # comments
              if getline(n) =~ '^\s*#'
              setf r
              break
              endif
              " Rexx has /* comments */
              if getline(n) =~ '^\s*/\*'
              setf rexx
              break
              endif
              let n = n + 1
              endwhile
              if n >= max
              setf rexx
              endif
              endif
              endfun
              # it is incomplete because a rebol file may
              1)begin with the regex "REBOL" in either lower or upper or mixed case
              2)begin with a shebang line containing "rebol"
              3)furthermore, in some cases neither condition would be present.

              Thus, I found that any rebol file *without* the shebang line highlighted
              properly, but with the shebang line, needed :setf rebol

              Now here is what is weird:
              I changed the code in filetype to the following simpler approach:
              au BufNewFile,BufRead *.r,*.R,*.reb setf rebol
              removing function FTr entirely
              but the same symptoms remain.

              I would suspect that there is a side effect from some other file
              that is sourced. When I get more time, I will remove files from
              ~/.vim/plugin , ... autoload etc and see what happens as I add
              them back in. In the meantime, this highly annoying but not a
              crisis, after all setf does the job.

              thanks for looking into this,
              I'd welcome other comments all the same.
              regards
              tim
            • Tim Johnson
              ... Just for a quick test, I changed the name of the .vim directory. The symptoms that I described vanished. It would seem to be in the plugin or autoload
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 5, 2007
                On Tuesday 05 June 2007, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
                > Tim Johnson wrote:
                > > Hello:
                > > I'm using vim compiled as 'vim.full' for kubuntu 7.04 amd-64.
                > > I can load one file and one file only - it's a python file - where
                > > syntax highlighting comes on automatically. Any subsequent
                > > files with a .py extension are loaded with only strings highlighted.
                > >
                > > :setf python enables full highlighting
                > >
                > > I'm baffled. I've rebuilt .vimrc and .gvimrc one line at a time
                > > and I see nothing that could be causing this.
                Just for a quick test, I changed the name of the .vim
                directory. The symptoms that I described vanished.
                It would seem to be in the plugin or autoload directories.
                I've got some *old* vim scripts in there ....
                tim
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.