VimWiki - released finally

  • Sebastian Menge
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
      [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]

      Hi all

      Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to

      http://vim.wikia.com

      and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
      is perfect, but I think it is usable now.

      Thanks to all the support from vim@... and especially to the very
      kind wikia community (#wikia on freenode and the mailing list,
      Greetings!).

      Some words on contribution: A good wiki depends on two main factors:
      Excellent content and a lively community. We have a lot of good content
      now, but to make it excellent we need You!

      If you ever posted a tip or a comment to the old tips database, please
      have a look at it on the wiki, and review the page. Every little bit
      helps!

      See you on the wiki, Sebastian.
    • Sebastian Menge
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
        Am Dienstag, den 05.06.2007, 13:38 +0200 schrieb misi e:
        > all what is missing now (as long as I know) an interface to access
        > this wiki from vim itself .)

        Easy with http://wikipediafs.sf.net :-)

        Cool would be a vim-plugin that detects [[WikiPage]] and produces a link
        that opens WikiPage.mw from the wikipediafs.

        Seb.
      • Tom Purl
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
          On Tue, June 5, 2007 6:51 am, Sebastian Menge wrote:
          > Am Dienstag, den 05.06.2007, 13:38 +0200 schrieb misi e:
          >> all what is missing now (as long as I know) an interface to access
          >> this wiki from vim itself .)
          >
          > Easy with http://wikipediafs.sf.net :-)

          Also, don't forget about the ItsAllText plugin for Firefox.

          Tom Purl
        • Tom Purl
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
            On Tue, June 5, 2007 5:41 am, Sebastian Menge wrote:
            > [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]
            >
            > Hi all
            >
            > Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
            >
            > http://vim.wikia.com
            >
            > and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
            > is perfect, but I think it is usable now.

            Wow! This really looks excellent Sebastian. Also, it look very robust
            and complete.

            I really think that this implementation of the tips wiki is sufficient
            and complete. Does anyone disagree? If so, what do you suggest?

            Thanks again!

            Tom Purl
          • Tom Purl
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
              How do you update the categories? I can't seem to find that text when I
              edit the full page.

              Thanks!

              Tom Purl

              On Tue, June 5, 2007 6:51 am, Sebastian Menge wrote:
              > Am Dienstag, den 05.06.2007, 13:38 +0200 schrieb misi e:
              >> all what is missing now (as long as I know) an interface to access
              >> this wiki from vim itself .)
              >
              > Easy with http://wikipediafs.sf.net :-)
              >
              > Cool would be a vim-plugin that detects [[WikiPage]] and produces a link
              > that opens WikiPage.mw from the wikipediafs.
              >
              > Seb.

            • Brian McKee
              • fREW
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
                  On 6/5/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
                  > [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]
                  >
                  > Hi all
                  >
                  > Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
                  >
                  > http://vim.wikia.com
                  >
                  > and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
                  > is perfect, but I think it is usable now.
                  >
                  > Thanks to all the support from vim@... and especially to the very
                  > kind wikia community (#wikia on freenode and the mailing list,
                  > Greetings!).
                  >
                  > Some words on contribution: A good wiki depends on two main factors:
                  > Excellent content and a lively community. We have a lot of good content
                  > now, but to make it excellent we need You!
                  >
                  > If you ever posted a tip or a comment to the old tips database, please
                  > have a look at it on the wiki, and review the page. Every little bit
                  > helps!
                  >
                  > See you on the wiki, Sebastian.

                  I am EXCITED!

                  --
                  -fREW
                • hermitte@free.fr
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
                    Hello,

                    Tom Purl <tom@...> wrtoe:

                    > How do you update the categories? I can't seem to find that text when I
                    > edit the full page.

                    We need to edit the tips to add them one, or several category tags.
                    e.g.: [[Category:Integration]]

                    BTW, nice work!

                    --
                    Luc Hermitte
                    http://hermitte.free.fr/vim/
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
                      On Tue, June 5, 2007 12:36 pm, hermitte@... wrote:
                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > Tom Purl <tom@...> wrtoe:
                      >
                      >> How do you update the categories? I can't seem to find that text when I
                      >> edit the full page.
                      >
                      > We need to edit the tips to add them one, or several category tags.
                      > e.g.: [[Category:Integration]]

                      But I am editing a tip, and I don't see any reference to a
                      [[Category:Foo]] link.

                      Thanks!

                      Tom Purl
                    • Tom Purl
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
                        On Tue, June 5, 2007 11:34 am, Brian McKee wrote:

                        The recent changes page has links for both rss and atom feeds.

                        HTH!

                        Tom Purl
                      • Nico Weber
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007

                          > Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
                          >
                          > http://vim.wikia.com

                          if you must have ads, would it be possible to go with text-only ads?
                          Additionally, the "Digg this story" button at the bottom is stupid ;-)

                          Just my destructive 2 cents,
                          Nico
                        • Brian McKee
                          • Tom Purl
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
                              On Tue, June 5, 2007 1:14 pm, Brian McKee wrote:

                              > On 5-Jun-07, at 1:59 PM, Tom Purl wrote:

                              >>> Can someone point out how I can get an RSS feed of the recent
                              >>> changes?
                              >>>
                              >>> The page is here <http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Recentchanges>
                              >>
                              >> The recent changes page has links for both rss and atom feeds.
                              >
                              > Oh - I guess it's in the headers only - I was looking for a clickable
                              > link rather than just the indicator in the url bar.
                              >
                              > If there's a clickable link supposed to be there - I'm not seeing
                              > it.... and a quick /atom/ of the source only shows the link in the
                              > headers.

                              Here's what I'm seeing:

                              Using both IE and Firefox, I'm am seeing both RSS and Atom links in the
                              "toolbox" box. This is true whether I am logged in or not.

                              Here's exactly what I see in the toolbox box:

                              Toolbox
                              * RSS Atom
                              * Upload file
                              * Special pages

                              What are you seeing?

                              Thanks,

                              Tom Purl
                            • hermitte@free.fr
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
                                Selon Tom Purl <tom@...>:

                                > On Tue, June 5, 2007 12:36 pm, hermitte@... wrote:
                                > > Hello,
                                > >
                                > > Tom Purl <tom@...> wrtoe:
                                > >
                                > >> How do you update the categories? I can't seem to find that text when I
                                > >> edit the full page.
                                > >
                                > > We need to edit the tips to add them one, or several category tags.
                                > > e.g.: [[Category:Integration]]
                                >
                                > But I am editing a tip, and I don't see any reference to a
                                > [[Category:Foo]] link.

                                IIRC, the category won't appear in the general categories list until it has a
                                page associated (edit the description of the category).

                                However, if you have several pages for a given undocumented category (i.e.
                                having [[Category:Foo]]) and then open the default page for the category (i.e.
                                click on the red link) you will see all the related pages of that category.

                                From my very little experience regarding the organisation of a wiki from
                                scratch, I'll say that everytime we put a page into a new category, we have to
                                define right away the page of that new category. Otherwise, another similar, but
                                different) category may emerge.

                                --
                                Luc Hermitte
                                http://hermitte.free.fr/vim/
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
                                  Sebastian Menge wrote:

                                  > [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]
                                  >
                                  > Hi all
                                  >
                                  > Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
                                  >
                                  > http://vim.wikia.com
                                  >
                                  > and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
                                  > is perfect, but I think it is usable now.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks to all the support from vim@... and especially to the very
                                  > kind wikia community (#wikia on freenode and the mailing list,
                                  > Greetings!).
                                  >
                                  > Some words on contribution: A good wiki depends on two main factors:
                                  > Excellent content and a lively community. We have a lot of good content
                                  > now, but to make it excellent we need You!
                                  >
                                  > If you ever posted a tip or a comment to the old tips database, please
                                  > have a look at it on the wiki, and review the page. Every little bit
                                  > helps!
                                  >
                                  > See you on the wiki, Sebastian.

                                  Great!

                                  Let's await comments for a few days, then I'll add a few links on
                                  www.vim.org to the tips wiki. That should give the wiki quite a bit
                                  more traffic.

                                  How about redirecting http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=805
                                  to http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip805 (where 805 is an arbitrary
                                  number)?

                                  The Tips pages appear to load a bit slow, but otherwise it looks like
                                  all the info from the old pages is there.

                                  --
                                  I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence.
                                  There's a knob called "brightness", but it doesn't seem to work.

                                • Tom Purl
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
                                    On Tue, June 5, 2007 2:29 pm, hermitte@... wrote:
                                    > Selon Tom Purl <tom@...>:
                                    >
                                    >> On Tue, June 5, 2007 12:36 pm, hermitte@... wrote:
                                    >>> Hello,
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Tom Purl <tom@...> wrtoe:

                                    >>> We need to edit the tips to add them one, or several category tags.
                                    >>> e.g.: [[Category:Integration]]
                                    >> But I am editing a tip, and I don't see any reference to a
                                    >> [[Category:Foo]] link.
                                    >
                                    > IIRC, the category won't appear in the general categories list until
                                    > it has a page associated (edit the description of the category).
                                    >
                                    > However, if you have several pages for a given undocumented category
                                    > (i.e. having [[Category:Foo]]) and then open the default page for the
                                    > category (i.e. click on the red link) you will see all the related
                                    > pages of that category.
                                    >
                                    > From my very little experience regarding the organisation of a wiki
                                    > from scratch, I'll say that everytime we put a page into a new
                                    > category, we have to define right away the page of that new category.
                                    > Otherwise, another similar, but different) category may emerge.

                                    I don't think that I'm describing my problem very clearly. I'm trying
                                    to edit the following page:

                                    * http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Indenting_%22throws%22_in_java

                                    When I click on the "edit" link, I should see something similar to this:

                                    some text

                                    some more text

                                    [[Category:Foo]]

                                    Instead, all I see is this:

                                    some text

                                    some more text

                                    One would assume that if the "raw" version of the page didn't include a
                                    [[Category:Foo]] link, then the published version also wouldn't include
                                    any category information. The weird thing is that the published version
                                    of this particular page includes two categories; "Review" and "VimTip".

                                    So what I don't understand is, why can't I change these categories?
                                    I've been editing Mediawiki pages for 4 years, and I've never seen
                                    anything like this.

                                    Thanks in advance for any help!

                                    Tom Purl
                                  • Robert Lee
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
                                      Sebastian,

                                      Why not utilize the "talk:" pages for the comments (see discussion tab
                                      at top of each wiki page)?

                                      Just curious.

                                      -Robert

                                      Sebastian Menge wrote:
                                      > [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]
                                      >
                                      > Hi all
                                      >
                                      > Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
                                      >
                                      > http://vim.wikia.com
                                      >
                                      > and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
                                      > is perfect, but I think it is usable now.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks to all the support from vim@... and especially to the very
                                      > kind wikia community (#wikia on freenode and the mailing list,
                                      > Greetings!).
                                      >
                                      > Some words on contribution: A good wiki depends on two main factors:
                                      > Excellent content and a lively community. We have a lot of good content
                                      > now, but to make it excellent we need You!
                                      >
                                      > If you ever posted a tip or a comment to the old tips database, please
                                      > have a look at it on the wiki, and review the page. Every little bit
                                      > helps!
                                      >
                                      > See you on the wiki, Sebastian.

                                    • A.J.Mechelynck
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
                                        Tom Purl wrote:
                                        > On Tue, June 5, 2007 2:29 pm, hermitte@... wrote:
                                        >> Selon Tom Purl <tom@...>:

                                        >>> But I am editing a tip, and I don't see any reference to a
                                        >>> [[Category:Foo]] link.
                                        >> IIRC, the category won't appear in the general categories list until
                                        >> it has a page associated (edit the description of the category).
                                        >>
                                        >> However, if you have several pages for a given undocumented category
                                        >> (i.e. having [[Category:Foo]]) and then open the default page for the
                                        >> category (i.e. click on the red link) you will see all the related
                                        >> pages of that category.
                                        >>
                                        >> From my very little experience regarding the organisation of a wiki
                                        >> from scratch, I'll say that everytime we put a page into a new
                                        >> category, we have to define right away the page of that new category.
                                        >> Otherwise, another similar, but different) category may emerge.
                                        >
                                        > I don't think that I'm describing my problem very clearly. I'm trying
                                        > to edit the following page:
                                        >
                                        > * http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Indenting_%22throws%22_in_java
                                        >
                                        > When I click on the "edit" link, I should see something similar to this:
                                        >
                                        > some text
                                        >
                                        > some more text
                                        >
                                        > [[Category:Foo]]
                                        >
                                        > Instead, all I see is this:
                                        >
                                        > some text
                                        >
                                        > some more text
                                        >
                                        > One would assume that if the "raw" version of the page didn't include a
                                        > [[Category:Foo]] link, then the published version also wouldn't include
                                        > any category information. The weird thing is that the published version
                                        > of this particular page includes two categories; "Review" and "VimTip".
                                        >
                                        > So what I don't understand is, why can't I change these categories?
                                        > I've been editing Mediawiki pages for 4 years, and I've never seen
                                        > anything like this.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks in advance for any help!
                                        >
                                        > Tom Purl

                                        If you click [edit] somewhere in the page, you edit the corresponding section.
                                        To edit the whole page, click "Edit this page" at bottom.

                                        Never commit yourself! Let someone else commit you.
                                      • Larson, David
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
                                          > Sebastian,
                                          >
                                          > Why not utilize the "talk:" pages for the comments (see
                                          > discussion tab at top of each wiki page)?
                                          >
                                          > Just curious.
                                          >
                                          > -Robert

                                          Lets avoid using the vim-announce mailing list for a discussing of vim
                                          wiki and stick to vim-dev.

                                          David
                                        • Mike Hansen
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007

                                            This isn't a figment of Tom's mind.

                                            I just poked around the wiki. I'm not seeing a way to change the
                                            category of an existing article. When you create a new article, you can
                                            assign categories, but I'm not seeing a way to change the category on an
                                            existing article even if you edit the entire article by clicking on the
                                            edit link at the top of the article.

                                            If there is a way to change the category of an existing article, I'm
                                            missing it.

                                            Mike
                                          • Luc Hermitte
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
                                              * On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 02:54:21PM -0600, Mike Hansen <Mike.Hansen@...> wrote:
                                              > > From: Tom Purl [mailto:tom@...]
                                              > [...]
                                              > > So what I don't understand is, why can't I change these categories?
                                              > > I've been editing Mediawiki pages for 4 years, and I've never seen
                                              > > anything like this.
                                              >
                                              > This isn't a figment of Tom's mind.
                                              >
                                              > I just poked around the wiki. I'm not seeing a way to change the
                                              > category of an existing article. When you create a new article, you
                                              > can assign categories, but I'm not seeing a way to change the category
                                              > on an existing article even if you edit the entire article by clicking
                                              > on the edit link at the top of the article.
                                              >
                                              > If there is a way to change the category of an existing article, I'm
                                              > missing it.

                                              I did it twice.
                                              -> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Running_the_win32-version_of_Vim_from_cygwin

                                              I've added the [Category:Cygwin], and removed Review.

                                              [Category:Review] is a consequence on the template [1] {{Review}} [2]
                                              The [category:VimTips] is likely a consequence of the template {{Tip}}
                                              [3] used at the start of every vimtip.

                                              BTW, it can be interresting to add a {{Vimscript}} template. In the
                                              long term, it could check the existence of a wiki-page dedicated to the
                                              script and point to that page if found, or to vim site otherwise.
                                              (NB: I don't even know if this is possible, nor ergonomic)

                                              In the short term, it is good way to provide links to the vimscripts of
                                              vim.org.

                                              [1] http://vim.wikia.com/index.php?title=Special%3AAllpages&from=&namespace=10
                                              [2] http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Review
                                              [3] http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Tip
                                              --
                                              Luc Hermitte
                                              http://hermitte.free.fr/vim/
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
                                                Am Dienstag, den 05.06.2007, 11:14 -0500 schrieb Tom Purl:
                                                > How do you update the categories? I can't seem to find that text when I
                                                > edit the full page.

                                                It's a tree (or a directed acyclic graph !?): Simply tag a category with
                                                its parent category/ies. For example

                                                <snip>
                                                [[Category:LanguageSpecific]]

                                                This category is for tips about the Python programming language. It is a
                                                subcategory of Category:LanguageSpecific.
                                                </snip>
                                              • Sebastian Menge
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jun 5, 2007
                                                  Some more remarks. When replying it would be clever to change the
                                                  subject of the mail ...

                                                  Categories:
                                                  Tom, the category appears at the very bottom of a page.

                                                  see: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Category

                                                  (meta.wikimedia.org is the best source for technical documentation about
                                                  mediawiki.)

                                                  Im not sure, whether the vim mailinglist is the right place to discuss
                                                  technical issues of the wiki !? But on the other hand i dont know any
                                                  better place :-) There is a "forum" on the wiki
                                                  ( http://vim.wikia.com/index.php?title=Forum:Watercooler ), but I dont
                                                  like forums ... suggestions?

                                                  Concerning ads, I recommend a good adblocker. http://adblockplus.org/
                                                  works well for me. :-) I asked the wikia staff to remove the ugly "Wikia
                                                  Spotlight" but they didnt react so far.
                                                  We are a quite large community, and the user-base is even larger. It
                                                  would be interesting to estimate how much money they earn with us.

                                                  Skin:
                                                  There is a "skin" called "slate" It looks quite fance, but more
                                                  important it has some nice features like top-rated Pages and the like.
                                                  Test it here: http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page?useskin=slate
                                                  I dont like the layout, but the features are quite nice ... (try to drag
                                                  and drop the boxes on the left ...) We could discuss that on the
                                                  http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Main_Page.

                                                  Scripts:
                                                  Yeah that's an issue that would need some brainwork before. I never used
                                                  the scripts_db extensively, so im the wrong guy for that ... But when I
                                                  look at it, i dont see anything that couldn't be done with the wiki. But
                                                  that doesn't mean it should be done that way :-)

                                                  Sebastian.
                                                • Robert Cussons
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jun 6, 2007
                                                    > On 6/5/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
                                                    >> [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]
                                                    >>
                                                    >> Hi all
                                                    >>
                                                    >> Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
                                                    >>
                                                    >> http://vim.wikia.com
                                                    >>
                                                    >> and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
                                                    >> is perfect, but I think it is usable now.
                                                    >>
                                                    >> Thanks to all the support from vim@... and especially to the very
                                                    >> kind wikia community (#wikia on freenode and the mailing list,
                                                    >> Greetings!).
                                                    >>
                                                    >> Some words on contribution: A good wiki depends on two main factors:
                                                    >> Excellent content and a lively community. We have a lot of good content
                                                    >> now, but to make it excellent we need You!
                                                    >>
                                                    >> If you ever posted a tip or a comment to the old tips database, please
                                                    >> have a look at it on the wiki, and review the page. Every little bit
                                                    >> helps!
                                                    >>
                                                    >> See you on the wiki, Sebastian.

                                                    Very good work Sebastian, it looks great to me.

                                                    I have already come across a new tip on vim wikia that I hadn't known
                                                    anything about which I thought I might draw programmer's attention to
                                                    (sorry if you already know about it). Tip #1267, which is a tip to
                                                    enable a programmer to see (by a simple key combination of his/her
                                                    choice), in which function they are. Very useful if you have just landed
                                                    in the middle of a long function during a search for example, you know
                                                    longer have to move around inside the buffer to find which function you
                                                    are in, just type your chosen key combination: see
                                                    http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Show_current_function_name_(for_C_programmers)
                                                    if you are interested.

                                                    Thanks very much to the original author of the tip and to everyone who
                                                    has contributed to setting up the vim wikia.
                                                    Rob.