Re: how can I add this feature to vim!!

  • vim@cca.me.uk
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2007
      Robert Cussons wrote:
      > Michael F. Lamb wrote:
      >> jaywee wrote:
      >>> *! Swap caps lock and escape, good for Vim
      >>> remove Lock = Caps_Lock
      >>> keysym Escape = Caps_Lock
      >>> keysym Caps_Lock = Escape
      >>> add Lock = Caps_Lock
      >>> *to a file named .speedswapper to the home directory, and run
      >>> *xmodmap ~/.speedswapper* in a terminal, I follow the guide and
      >>> finally done! but the bad thing is I have to run the command every
      >>> time I reboot ubuntu!!
      >>> so any helps??
      >>
      >> If it's a default Ubuntu install, meaning you're a Gnome user, name
      >> the file .Xmodmap rather than .speedswapper. When you log in, it
      >> should detect it automatically, and ask if you wish to use it.
      >>
      >> You might also find that configuration option available in the Gnome
      >> "Keyboard Properties" part of the system configuration menu, I'm not
      >> sure.
      >>

      > Hi, I've been using this tip for ages and find it very useful, but I
      > have the same problem as jaywee and none of the solutions so far
      > suggested have solved the problem. I am using Debian Etch with KDE
      > 3.5.5. In my home directory, I have tried creating a .xinitrc with the
      > same contents as the .speedswapper file (there wasn't one already
      > existing), I have tried creating a .Xmodmap file with the same
      > contents and I have looked in the KDE control panel for anything that
      > might be able to do this, but didn't find anything. It's not a big
      > problem, but it just would be nice to have it done automatically :-)
      >
      > Thanks for any help,
      > Rob.
      Hi, to make commands to be run when your desktop first loads I found
      this page useful:
      http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Autostart_Programs

      so, to ensure your keys get swapped when KDE starts, put the commands
      into any accessible file (~/.speedswapper above). Then create a shell
      script in the appropriate directory for your distribution (on xfce4 here
      it is ~/.config/autostart, and in KDE it is ~/.kde/Autostart) that calls
      xmodmap:

      #!/bin/bash
      xmodmap ~/.speedswapper

      Make that executable (chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/swapscript)

      and you should have what you want (just in case any of you are lawyers,
      I, of course, do not mean to imply that this solution will give you
      everything that you want, just the required results of this question).

      cheers

      Chris
    • Robert Cussons
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2007
        vim@... wrote:
        > Robert Cussons wrote:
        >> Michael F. Lamb wrote:
        >>>
        >>> If it's a default Ubuntu install, meaning you're a Gnome user, name
        >>> the file .Xmodmap rather than .speedswapper. When you log in, it
        >>> should detect it automatically, and ask if you wish to use it.
        >>>
        >>> You might also find that configuration option available in the Gnome
        >>> "Keyboard Properties" part of the system configuration menu, I'm not
        >>> sure.
        >>>

        >> Hi, I've been using this tip for ages and find it very useful, but I
        >> have the same problem as jaywee and none of the solutions so far
        >> suggested have solved the problem. I am using Debian Etch with KDE
        >> 3.5.5. In my home directory, I have tried creating a .xinitrc with the
        >> same contents as the .speedswapper file (there wasn't one already
        >> existing), I have tried creating a .Xmodmap file with the same
        >> contents and I have looked in the KDE control panel for anything that
        >> might be able to do this, but didn't find anything. It's not a big
        >> problem, but it just would be nice to have it done automatically :-)
        >>
        >> Thanks for any help,
        >> Rob.
        > Hi, to make commands to be run when your desktop first loads I found
        > this page useful:
        > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Autostart_Programs
        >
        > so, to ensure your keys get swapped when KDE starts, put the commands
        > into any accessible file (~/.speedswapper above). Then create a shell
        > script in the appropriate directory for your distribution (on xfce4 here
        > it is ~/.config/autostart, and in KDE it is ~/.kde/Autostart) that calls
        > xmodmap:
        >
        > #!/bin/bash
        > xmodmap ~/.speedswapper
        >
        > Make that executable (chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/swapscript)

        Thanks so much Chris, I should have known to look in the Gentoo pages,
        they are always very helpful and generally well explained.

        > and you should have what you want (just in case any of you are lawyers,
        > I, of course, do not mean to imply that this solution will give you
        > everything that you want, just the required results of this question).

        Just have to wait 'til next time I log out and and in again to see if I
        achieve nirvana... ;-)