Skip to search.

Cut and paste between vim and OS X terminal

  • Henry Throop
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
      Hi --

      I'm having a problem using cut and paste to put text from a VIM
      document, into a terminal window. It's some sort of character
      encoding issue. Here's what I do:

      o Start up gvim with no file. I'm using 6.2.
      o Type a few characters.
      o Copy some material (Apple-C)
      o Move to a terminal window
      o Paste it (Apple-V)
      o Material is pasted, but the encoding is incorrect.

      If I cut the phrase 'ABCabc', then what gets pasted is this:

      '\344\205\202\344\215\241\346\211\243'

      If I paste it into a non-terminal window such as Mail or Textedit, I
      get Chinese characters.

      Copying *from* Textedit to terminal works fine, so I think the
      problem is something to do with vim.

      Can someone point me to what I might have set that's doing this?

      Thanks,
      -Henry
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
        Henry Throop wrote:
        > Hi --
        >
        > I'm having a problem using cut and paste to put text from a VIM
        > document, into a terminal window. It's some sort of character encoding
        > issue. Here's what I do:
        >
        > o Start up gvim with no file. I'm using 6.2.
        > o Type a few characters.
        > o Copy some material (Apple-C)
        > o Move to a terminal window
        > o Paste it (Apple-V)
        > o Material is pasted, but the encoding is incorrect.
        >
        > If I cut the phrase 'ABCabc', then what gets pasted is this:
        >
        > '\344\205\202\344\215\241\346\211\243'
        >
        > If I paste it into a non-terminal window such as Mail or Textedit, I get
        > Chinese characters.
        >
        > Copying *from* Textedit to terminal works fine, so I think the problem
        > is something to do with vim.
        >
        > Can someone point me to what I might have set that's doing this?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > -Henry

        What happens if you set 'encoding' to "macroman" (the legacy Mac encoding)
        prior to yanking? If it doesn't work, try UTF-8.

        Meader's Law:
        Whatever happens to you, it will previously have happened to
        everyone you know, only more so.
      • Henry Throop
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
          OK; tried that. Both macroman and utf-8 give me the same results,
          which are the same as before.

          -Henry

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
            Henry Throop wrote:
            > OK; tried that. Both macroman and utf-8 give me the same results, which
            > are the same as before.
            >
            > -Henry
            >
            > On Jun 2, 2007, at 2:50 PM, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
            >
            >> Henry Throop wrote:
            >>> Hi --
            >>> I'm having a problem using cut and paste to put text from a VIM
            >>> document, into a terminal window. It's some sort of character
            >>> encoding issue. Here's what I do:
            >>> o Start up gvim with no file. I'm using 6.2.
            >>> o Type a few characters.
            >>> o Copy some material (Apple-C)
            >>> o Move to a terminal window
            >>> o Paste it (Apple-V)
            >>> o Material is pasted, but the encoding is incorrect.
            >>> If I cut the phrase 'ABCabc', then what gets pasted is this:
            >>> '\344\205\202\344\215\241\346\211\243'
            >>> If I paste it into a non-terminal window such as Mail or Textedit, I
            >>> get Chinese characters.
            >>> Copying *from* Textedit to terminal works fine, so I think the
            >>> problem is something to do with vim.
            >>> Can someone point me to what I might have set that's doing this?
            >>> Thanks,
            >>> -Henry
            >>
            >> What happens if you set 'encoding' to "macroman" (the legacy Mac
            >> encoding) prior to yanking? If it doesn't work, try UTF-8.
            >>

            >> Best regards,
            >> Tony.
            >> --
            >> Meader's Law:
            >> Whatever happens to you, it will previously have happened to
            >> everyone you know, only more so.

            Analysis of the octal values you list seems to indicate that your clipboard is
            getting Latin1, mistaking it for ucs-2be, and translating it to UTF-8: for
            instance, \344\205\202 is the UTF-8 bytecode for the U+4142 codepoint.

            I think this /might/ be a fixed bug, check the following bug summaries:

            http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/README (patches for Vim 6.2 and earlier)
            http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/6.3/README
            http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/6.4/README
            http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.0/README
            http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.1/README

            Or else, boldly install 7.1.002 and see if the problem persists.

            Paranoid schizophrenics outnumber their enemies at least two to one.
          • Henry Throop
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
              On Jun 2, 2007, at 5:07 PM, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

              > Henry Throop wrote:
              >> OK; tried that. Both macroman and utf-8 give me the same results,
              >> which are the same as before.
              >> -Henry
              >>>
              >>> What happens if you set 'encoding' to "macroman" (the legacy Mac
              >>> encoding) prior to yanking? If it doesn't work, try UTF-8.
              >>>

              >>> Best regards,
              >>> Tony.
              >>> --
              >>> Meader's Law:
              >>> Whatever happens to you, it will previously have happened to
              >>> everyone you know, only more so.
              >
              > Analysis of the octal values you list seems to indicate that your
              > clipboard is getting Latin1, mistaking it for ucs-2be, and
              > translating it to UTF-8: for instance, \344\205\202 is the UTF-8
              > bytecode for the U+4142 codepoint.
              >
              > I think this /might/ be a fixed bug, check the following bug
              > summaries:
              >
              > http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/README (patches for Vim 6.2 and
              > earlier)
              > http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/6.3/README
              > http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/6.4/README
              > http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.0/README
              > http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.1/README
              >
              > Or else, boldly install 7.1.002 and see if the problem persists.
              >

              > Best regards,
              > Tony.

              Well, that was simple. I upgraded to 7.0 and the problem's fixed.
              Thank you!!

              -Henry