Re: good keys for mappings

  • John Little
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2007
      Hi all

      Tony said:

      > F2 to F12 (with the possible exception of F10), Shift-F1 to Shift-F12.

      Perhaps not the OP, but someone might find this useful.

      Vim, at least on Windows, also knows about F13, F14 and F15. I've
      never seen a keyboard with such, but registry mappings can be used to
      map the otherwise next to useless (IMO) windows keys (called "Left
      Windows", "Right Windows" and "Application") to them, and their easily
      found location may make them good for a map leader, though grossly
      unportable.

      (I confess the weakness, oh the shame, of using the arrow keys a lot,
      with the mouse, more shame, in my left hand, so while in this mode, I
      use the above trick to bring often used functions to hand without
      having to move my left hand from the mouse.)

      Of the various pages about this windows arcana I found
      http://www.usnetizen.com/fix_capslock.html very helpful.

      I'm curious, though. Are these keys known by Vim on Unices, so could
      be mapped with say, xmodmap?

      Regards, John
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2007
        John Little wrote:
        > Hi all
        >
        > Tony said:
        >
        >> F2 to F12 (with the possible exception of F10), Shift-F1 to Shift-F12.
        >
        > Perhaps not the OP, but someone might find this useful.
        >
        > Vim, at least on Windows, also knows about F13, F14 and F15. I've
        > never seen a keyboard with such, but registry mappings can be used to
        > map the otherwise next to useless (IMO) windows keys (called "Left
        > Windows", "Right Windows" and "Application") to them, and their easily
        > found location may make them good for a map leader, though grossly
        > unportable.
        >
        > (I confess the weakness, oh the shame, of using the arrow keys a lot,
        > with the mouse, more shame, in my left hand, so while in this mode, I
        > use the above trick to bring often used functions to hand without
        > having to move my left hand from the mouse.)
        >
        > Of the various pages about this windows arcana I found
        > http://www.usnetizen.com/fix_capslock.html very helpful.
        >
        > I'm curious, though. Are these keys known by Vim on Unices, so could
        > be mapped with say, xmodmap?
        >
        > Regards, John

        After doinf some research (it wasn't easy) on my Linux system, I came up with
        the following:

        X11 allows up to 35 F-keys; you would of course have to determine the
        geographical code of the keys involved, or to find some way to remap them.
        (Keyboards with up to 248 keys are supported in theory, and keycodes are in
        the range 8..255 so they are not the same as keyboard scan codes.)

        On my system, /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h, and a few more in the same
        directory, define a lot of "key functions" for X11 (I mean, they give names to
        what a key can do when you hit it).

        To err is human, to moo bovine.
      • Yegappan Lakshmanan
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2007

          On 5/31/07, Arn <aff@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > Any suggestions on keys/key combos that are good candidates for custom
          > mappings etc?
          >
          > Maybe a dumb question but I hate having to unlearn something, I'd like
          > to create a fair number of mappings that use a consistent convention and
          > won't conflict with anything existing. I think Bram mentioned he's
          > found prefixing with _ works well..

          In addition to the detailed answers you have already received, you
          can also refer to the following tutorial on creating keymaps with Vim:

          http://www.geocities.com/yegappan/vim_keymap.html

          - Yegappan