Re: collapsing single lines of html tag attributes via plugin??

  • fREW
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
      On 6/1/07, Charles E Campbell Jr <drchip@...> wrote:
      > Howard Glynn wrote:
      >
      > > <snip>
      > >
      > > I wondered whether there was a plugin somewhere that was able to
      > > abbreviate or
      > > partially hide the detail so i can see the overall structure more
      > > clearly. In essence I
      > > would like to collapse huge (single) lines of tags to something like
      > > <a id="xyz"
      > > href="/img ....... - where "...." implies I could expand if required.
      > > I'm sure it is probably
      > > possible to craft a plugin to do this, i just have some urgent
      > > deadlines right now ;)
      > > <snip>
      >

      > Hello!
      >
      > Sounds like Vince Negri's conceal patch to vim would come in handy for this.
      > Vim's current folding is on a line-by-line basis; Negri's patch can also
      > perform
      > concealing in lines.
      >
      > You can get his patch at: http://vince.negri.googlepages.com/
      >
      > Here's an example, although it may conceal more than what you've
      > requested...
      >
      > if has("conceal")
      > if &conc == 0
      > let &conc= 3
      > endif
      > syn clear
      > syn region htmlTag conceal start="<" end=">"
      > endif
      >
      > So this will conceal anything between <...> . One neat thing; even
      > though I've
      > selected conceal level 3, nonetheless, when your cursor is atop a line
      > that line
      > will *not* be concealed. So editing may proceed, as that's what Vim's for.
      >
      > A more comprehensive (but not html-related) example of concealing is
      > available
      > at my website: see AnsiEsc.vim. This plugin will conceal ansi escape
      > codes and
      > perform proper colorizing of the text based on the concealed ansi codes.
      >
      > Vince N has a tex.vim syntax using concealment, too, somewhere...
      >
      > BTW, folks -- if more people than H Glynn would want this -- let Bram
      > know! He's under
      > the impression that its not wanted very much, which is why I presume its
      > not in vim 7.x.
      >
      > Vince's patch also supports "ownsyntax". Read about it at his website.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Chip Campbell

      I would use conceal if it were in standard vim. Definitely.

      --
      -fREW
    • Matthew Winn
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
        On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:25:25 -0600, fREW <frioux@...> wrote:

        > On 6/1/07, Charles E Campbell Jr <drchip@...> wrote:
        > > Sounds like Vince Negri's conceal patch to vim would come in handy for this.
        [snip]
        > I would use conceal if it were in standard vim. Definitely.

        So would I. It's only nervousness at using unofficial patches that
        puts me off. I'd also be interested in a view-only mode that conceals
        characters in the current line as well, if that's possible. (I have
        some large report files for which I use Vim to colour the text for
        easy reading, but that means some space in the file is taken up with
        marker characters to trigger the highlighting. It'd be nice to be able
        to collapse all the markers.)

        --
        Matthew Winn
      • Howard Glynn
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2007
          Thanks to those taking the time to post some responses on this question.

          I found Tobia's suggestion to map a wrapping toggle onto a function key
          extremely helpful - thanks, i'm using it now. Sometimes the simple ones
          are the best :-)

          I've also investigating folding a bit more thoroughly in the vim context and
          that has helped too.

          Conceal sounds like a good patch I will look into that when my deadlines
          get a bit easier, I don't really want to start trying to break my environment
          or getting distracted recompiling at this point, maybe in a few weeks.

          Cheers, Howard