Re: Retaining undo levels

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2007
      Виктор Кожухаров wrote:
      > В чт, 2007-05-31 в 22:09 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck написа:
      >> Виктор Кожухаров wrote:
      >>> Hi,
      >>>
      >>> Is there a way to retain the undo levels, even when the buffer is not
      >>> loaded in any windows/tabs? Right now, whenever I open another file in
      >>> a window, the previous file loses it's undo levels, even though it is
      >>> still inside the buffer list.
      >> I /think/ the undo levels are by buffer. To undo the changes in one buffer,
      >> first make that buffer active (e.g. by switching to its window or by
      >> ":edit"ing it in the current window).
      >>
      >> If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.
      >>
      > No, if the buffer is no longer in any window, going back to it by
      > editing the file or selecting the buffer by any means will not bring the
      > undo levels. pressing 'u' will tell you that you are at the earliest
      > change. What I'm asking is whether it's possible to make vim remember
      > the buffer undo levels for each non-deleted buffer while vim is still
      > open.
      >> Всего хорошего,
      >> Тоня.

      Ah, if it's no longer in any window _and_ not hidden but unloaded, then it
      loses its undo levels. But you may either "hide" it, or (more to my taste)
      keep it in a window which may (with :set winminheight=0) be collapsed to a
      status line and nothing else; and then (IIUC) the undo levels will be kept.

      I notice that even with the "true tabs" of Vim 7 available, I still use
      "Rolodex Vim" a lot; it essentially consists of ":set winheight=99999
      winminheight=0" (without the quotes of course). This way, the current window
      expands to full height and all other windows are reduced to just a status line
      at either top or bottom. Think of a Rolodex phone directory at the office.

      "I'd love to go out with you, but I have to floss my cat."