OT: Vi in a browser...

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 18 , May 30 6:58 AM
      Just stumbled across this link:

      http://gpl.internetconnection.net/vi/

      for a basic implementation of Vi, authored in JavaScript. Sick,
      sick, sick. So just in case you're on a foreign computer that
      doesn't have vi/vim installed, and you need a fix, you can get it
      via the web. :)

      -tim
    • Tobias Klausmann
      Message 2 of 18 , May 30 7:11 AM
        Hi!

        On Wed, 30 May 2007, Tim Chase wrote:
        > Just stumbled across this link:
        >
        > http://gpl.internetconnection.net/vi/
        >
        > for a basic implementation of Vi, authored in JavaScript.
        > Sick, sick, sick. So just in case you're on a foreign
        > computer that doesn't have vi/vim installed, and you need a
        > fix, you can get it via the web. :)

        as for the classic use case of wanting to edit textfields
        vim-style (longer blog posts come to mind), I usually use MozEx,
        an extension to FF, which allows to use any editor for such
        things. It has more features but I don't use any of them.

        I can definitely recommend it. Especially considering the
        "splendid" UI of the ticket system I'm forced to use.

        Regards,
        Tobias

        --
        In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes.
      • Edward L. Fox
        Message 3 of 18 , May 30 8:29 PM
          On 5/30/07, Tobias Klausmann <klausman@...> wrote:
          > [...]
          > as for the classic use case of wanting to edit textfields
          > vim-style (longer blog posts come to mind), I usually use MozEx,
          > an extension to FF, which allows to use any editor for such
          > things. It has more features but I don't use any of them.

          Most of my Vimmers workmates recommend "It's All Text!" to me. So I
          just gave up MozEx before I had a try on it.

          A friend told me that he is developing a Firefox addon to emulate the
          Vi/Vim behaviors in all text areas in Firefox, without launching
          external applications. I'm looking forward to it.

          > I can definitely recommend it. Especially considering the
          > "splendid" UI of the ticket system I'm forced to use.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Tobias
          >

          > --
          > In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes.

          Shalom,

          Edward L. Fox
        • A.J.Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 18 , May 31 2:48 AM
            Edward L. Fox wrote:
            [...]
            > A friend told me that he is developing a Firefox addon to emulate the
            > Vi/Vim behaviors in all text areas in Firefox, without launching
            > external applications. I'm looking forward to it.
            [...]

            I don't think any "Vim extension" aiming at reproducing Vim's behaviour
            without actually calling it, will be able to come near the result of the
            gazillions of man-hours Bram (with a few others) has put and is still putting
            into it. Many browsers are able to interact with "any external editor" (such
            as true-blue Vim) these days, which also means that any bugfix or improvement
            to Vim gets reflected in the editing behaviour of the browser. Or you could
            always write the text in Vim, then use the clipboard to paste it into the
            browser, even with no special "external editor" function.

            YMMV.

            A cow comes flying over the battlements, lowing aggressively. The cow
            lands on GALAHAD'S PAGE, squashing him completely.
          • Yongwei Wu
            Message 5 of 18 , May 31 10:32 PM
              On 31/05/07, A.J.Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
              > Edward L. Fox wrote:
              > [...]
              > > A friend told me that he is developing a Firefox addon to emulate the
              > > Vi/Vim behaviors in all text areas in Firefox, without launching
              > > external applications. I'm looking forward to it.
              > [...]
              >
              > I don't think any "Vim extension" aiming at reproducing Vim's behaviour
              > without actually calling it, will be able to come near the result of the
              > gazillions of man-hours Bram (with a few others) has put and is still putting
              > into it. Many browsers are able to interact with "any external editor" (such
              > as true-blue Vim) these days, which also means that any bugfix or improvement
              > to Vim gets reflected in the editing behaviour of the browser. Or you could
              > always write the text in Vim, then use the clipboard to paste it into the
              > browser, even with no special "external editor" function.

              Agreed. Maybe Edward should persuade his friend to use the OLE
              interface of Vim instead.

              Yongwei

              --
              Wu Yongwei

                Personally, I don't agree with you. When editing short text items on web
                pages, I feel that the overhead of copying/pasting back and forth from
                vim is too much. I am currently using the "View Source With"-addon,
                which is great, but I would actually prefer a limited vi-implementation
                for use inside Firefox.

                So, Edward, please post to this list if/when your friend has something
                that we may try out :-)

                Thomas Svensen
                Senior Solutions Engineer
                FAST
              • Yongwei Wu
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 1, 2007
                  Hi Thomas,

                  On 01/06/07, Thomas Svensen <Thomas.Svensen@...> wrote:
> [...]

                  I must have been unclear. I meant to agree with the part `I don't
                  think any "Vim extension" aiming at reproducing Vim's behaviour
                  without actually calling it, will be able to come near the result of
                  the gazillions of man-hours Bram (with a few others) has put and is
                  still putting into it'. So I suggested some embedded Vim inside
                  Firefox using an add-on.

                  > So, Edward, please post to this list if/when your friend has something
                  > that we may try out :-)

                  Best regards,

                  Yongwei

                  --
                  Wu Yongwei
                    >Personally, I don't agree with you. When editing short text
                    >items on web pages, I feel that the overhead of copying/pasting
                    >back and forth from vim is too much. I am currently using the

                    Speaking of which, is there any quicker way to visually select the
                    entire file, analogous to ^A in other systems? I have to essentially do

                    1GVG<ctl-del>

                    to stick everything into the scratchpad/clipboard/whatever to dump it
                    back into the item from whence it originally came, and that's just a
                    pain. Well, not so much a pain as an annoying itch I can't quite reach.

                    I was thinking something along the lines of

                    %V

                    but that obviously won't work. :)
                  • Tim Chase
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 1, 2007
                      > Speaking of which, is there any quicker way to visually select the
                      > entire file, analogous to ^A in other systems? I have to essentially do
                      >
                      > 1GVG<ctl-del>
                      >
                      > to stick everything into the scratchpad/clipboard/whatever to dump it
                      > back into the item from whence it originally came, and that's just a
                      > pain. Well, not so much a pain as an annoying itch I can't quite reach.
                      >
                      > I was thinking something along the lines of
                      >
                      > %V
                      >
                      > but that obviously won't work. :)

                      You're so close, it could bite you :) It looks like you're
                      getting hung up on expecting the solution to need visual mode
                      rather than just using Ex commands.

                      I frequently use

                      :%d

                      or if I need it to go to the system clipboard,

                      :%d*
                      :%d+

                      I use these (and their "y"anking counterparts, ":%y") so
                      regularly that they're ingrained muscle-memory.

                      Because the y/d Ex command takes any range, I also regularly use

                      :.,$d

                      to do just from my current line to the EOF, or

                      :1,.d

                      to pull from the first line through the current line.

                      -tim
                    • Tobia
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 1, 2007
                        Gene Kwiecinski wrote:
                        > Speaking of which, is there any quicker way to visually select the
                        > entire file, analogous to ^A in other systems?

                        To copy the entire file to the system clipboard, you can do:

                        :%y+

                        Rpelace y with d if you want to cut instead of copy.
                        Replace + with * if you want to use middle-click to paste (on X11.)

                        Tobia
                      • A.J.Mechelynck
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 1, 2007
                          Gene Kwiecinski wrote:
                          >> Personally, I don't agree with you. When editing short text
                          >> items on web pages, I feel that the overhead of copying/pasting
                          >> back and forth from vim is too much. I am currently using the
                          >
                          > Speaking of which, is there any quicker way to visually select the
                          > entire file, analogous to ^A in other systems? I have to essentially do
                          >
                          > 1GVG<ctl-del>
                          >
                          > to stick everything into the scratchpad/clipboard/whatever to dump it
                          > back into the item from whence it originally came, and that's just a
                          > pain. Well, not so much a pain as an annoying itch I can't quite reach.
                          >
                          > I was thinking something along the lines of
                          >
                          > %V
                          >
                          > but that obviously won't work. :)

                          It may depend on what you want to do with the selection: see the commands
                          ":yank", ":put", "delete", all of which accept a range and a register:

                          To copy the whole file to the clipboard:

                          :%y+

                          To cut (delete) the whole file to the clipboard (not very useful for the whole
                          file, but it may be interesting for a different range):

                          :%d+

                          To paste the clipboard after the last line:

                          :$put+

                          To paste the clipboard before the first line:

                          :0put+

                          To paste the clipboard linewise after the current line:

                          :put+

                          Without the + at the end, all these act on the default ("unnamed") register.

                          Bravely bold Sir Robin, rode forth from Camelot,
                          He was not afraid to die, Oh Brave Sir Robin,
                          He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways
                          Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin.
                        • fREW
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 1, 2007
                            On 6/1/07, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:
                            > > Speaking of which, is there any quicker way to visually select the
                            > > entire file, analogous to ^A in other systems? I have to essentially do
                            > >
                            > > 1GVG<ctl-del>
                            > >
                            > > to stick everything into the scratchpad/clipboard/whatever to dump it
                            > > back into the item from whence it originally came, and that's just a
                            > > pain. Well, not so much a pain as an annoying itch I can't quite reach.
                            > >
                            > > I was thinking something along the lines of
                            > >
                            > > %V
                            > >
                            > > but that obviously won't work. :)
                            >
                            > You're so close, it could bite you :) It looks like you're
                            > getting hung up on expecting the solution to need visual mode
                            > rather than just using Ex commands.
                            >
                            > I frequently use
                            >
                            > :%d
                            >
                            > or if I need it to go to the system clipboard,
                            >
                            > :%d*
                            > :%d+
                            >
                            > I use these (and their "y"anking counterparts, ":%y") so
                            > regularly that they're ingrained muscle-memory.
                            >
                            > Because the y/d Ex command takes any range, I also regularly use
                            >
                            > :.,$d
                            >
                            > to do just from my current line to the EOF, or
                            >
                            > :1,.d
                            >
                            > to pull from the first line through the current line.
                            >
                            > -tim

                            Awesome. Tim is our ex friend. Or something?

                            --
                            -fREW
                          • Yakov Lerner
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 1, 2007
                              On 5/30/07, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:
                              > Just stumbled across this link:
                              >
                              > http://gpl.internetconnection.net/vi/
                              >
                              > for a basic implementation of Vi, authored in JavaScript. Sick,
                              > sick, sick. So just in case you're on a foreign computer that
                              > doesn't have vi/vim installed, and you need a fix, you can get it
                              > via the web. :)

                              But you can't read/save disk files out of javascript, can you ?
                              I thought javascript can't.

                              Yakov
                            • panshizhu@routon.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 3, 2007
                                "Gene Kwiecinski" <gkwiecinski@...> 写于 2007-06-02 00:01:21:
                                > >Personally, I don't agree with you. When editing short text
                                > >items on web pages, I feel that the overhead of copying/pasting
                                > >back and forth from vim is too much. I am currently using the
                                >
                                > Speaking of which, is there any quicker way to visually select the
                                > entire file, analogous to ^A in other systems? I have to essentially do
                                >
                                > 1GVG<ctl-del>
                                >
                                > to stick everything into the scratchpad/clipboard/whatever to dump it
                                > back into the item from whence it originally came, and that's just a
                                > pain. Well, not so much a pain as an annoying itch I can't quite reach.

                                When this is just a pain, why not just map ^A to your 1GVG<ctl-del> ?

                                So this come back to the topic:

                                If anyone approaching to emulate vim in a browser without actually calling
                                vim, will it reads your .vimrc and to know you had mapped ^A to
                                1GVG<ctl-del> ? unlikely.

                                Then I don't think it makes too much sense reinventing a vi-like inside
                                javascript.

                                ―― After all, javascript *is* slow and I cannot afford to pay the overhead
                                in any serious application. In most web-sites, disabling javascript is just
                                something like upgrade my CPU from P4 to Core 2 Duo.
                                --
                                Sincerely, Pan, Shi Zhu. ext: 2606
                              • Edward L. Fox
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 3, 2007
                                  Hi Pan,

                                  On 6/4/07, panshizhu@... <panshizhu@...> wrote:
                                  > [...]
                                  > When this is just a pain, why not just map ^A to your 1GVG<ctl-del> ?
                                  >
                                  > So this come back to the topic:
                                  >
                                  > If anyone approaching to emulate vim in a browser without actually calling
                                  > vim, will it reads your .vimrc and to know you had mapped ^A to
                                  > 1GVG<ctl-del> ? unlikely.

                                  Well, personally I think the thing you should do is getting familiar
                                  with Vi-like editing styles, not mapping Vim to adapter your existing
                                  editing styles.

                                  For example, in the other editors, if you want to copy the whole
                                  article into the clipboard, you should first select all, then copy the
                                  selected text into the clipboard. In Vim, "select all" is a pain. So
                                  you mapped it to an easier shortcut.

                                  But... But do we really need to select all first before copying the
                                  text into the clipboard? Of course not. You can use "yank + motion" to
                                  do it, like this: gg"+yG, it only costs 6 keystrokes. You can also use
                                  ex command to do it, like this: :%y+, it only costs 4 keystrokes.

                                  Well, maybe you would say, in the other editor, <c-a><c-c> is only 2
                                  keystrokes. Yes, but to me, combination keys with Ctrl is much more
                                  difficult to press than combination keys with Shift only. So I prefer
                                  :%y+ to <c-a><c-c>. By the way, that's the primary reason that I
                                  dislike Emacs.

                                  > Then I don't think it makes too much sense reinventing a vi-like inside
                                  > javascript.
                                  >
                                  > —— After all, javascript *is* slow and I cannot afford to pay the overhead
                                  > in any serious application. In most web-sites, disabling javascript is just
                                  > something like upgrade my CPU from P4 to Core 2 Duo.

                                  As an experienced AJAX developer (:-P), I would responsibly tell you,
                                  update a few fields inside a web page with AJAX is much much faster
                                  than entirely refresh the page, especially when this refreshing
                                  happens frequently.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 3, 2007
                                    "Edward L. Fox" <edyfox@...> 写于 2007-06-04 10:38:30:
                                    > Hi Pan,
                                    > On 6/4/07, panshizhu@... <panshizhu@...> wrote:
                                    > > [...]
                                    > > When this is just a pain, why not just map ^A to your 1GVG<ctl-del> ?
                                    > >

                                    > Well, personally I think the thing you should do is getting familiar
                                    > with Vi-like editing styles, not mapping Vim to adapter your existing
                                    > editing styles.
                                    This is just an example, since the "Gene Kwiecinski" feels selete all a
                                    pain. You may say he should not use "select-all", but it is very likely
                                    that the similar senaro occurs for other keystrokes. I had many other
                                    examples for that.

                                    > but to me, combination keys with Ctrl is much more
                                    > difficult to press than combination keys with Shift only.
                                    Your mind may vary, but I feel no difference between press Shift, Alt and
                                    Ctrl. I feel better only when I don't have to press any "chord" keys like
                                    "ctrl,alt,shift" at all.

                                    So what I had do is:
                                    nnoremap ; :

                                    With this map, I will not have to press the "Shift+:" to enter
                                    command-mode, just the ";", and this saves me "thousands of keystrokes" and
                                    I can use vim at least 30% faster.

                                    You may say: "you should not use semicolon for entering command-mode, you
                                    should follow the vi-way to entering command-mode by shift-colon." But
                                    frankly speaking I don't think there's any sensible reason not using
                                    semicolon as the shortcut of entering command-mode. In this case,
                                    following the vi rule has no advantage and use shift-colon is solely
                                    inefficient.

                                    Everyone may have a completely different set of preferences on using vim,
                                    since vim is designed to be a fullly-cumstomizable editor, if the
                                    user-preferences such as .vimrc and plugins and color-schemes are not
                                    loaded, chances are that the re-invented vi-clone inside browser has few
                                    supporters.

                                    --
                                    Sincerely, Pan, Shi Zhu. ext: 2606
                                  • Gene Kwiecinski
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 4, 2007
                                      Just getting to email now, so this is essentially a consolidated reply
                                      to all who answered...

                                      >>Speaking of which, is there any quicker way to visually select the
                                      >>entire file, analogous to ^A in other systems?

                                      >To copy the entire file to the system clipboard, you can do:
                                      > :%y+
                                      >Rpelace y with d if you want to cut instead of copy.
                                      >Replace + with * if you want to use middle-click to paste (on X11.)

                                      That's about the shortest I could come up with, ":%d+", to do what I
                                      want, but still not quite what I was looking for. I was kindasorta
                                      expecting a normal-mode solution, like 'gg*V' or something, to avoid
                                      even toggling the shift key all that much (think "baud" vs "bps").

                                      The only thing I really use it for is to c&p from LookOut's email to
                                      'vim', then back again. So I ^A the entire reply, dump it into a new
                                      'vim' window, edit it to insert a new quotelevel, etc., then want to
                                      "^A" it to get it back into LO. But it's repetitive/frequent enough to
                                      make me want to shorten the command further.

                                      Ain't "hung up" on visual mode or anything (hi Tim!), it's just that
                                      when I don't want headers at the top, I can start from the bottom ('G'),
                                      make my way to the top in visual ('1G'), then down my way past the
                                      headers to *not* grab them when putting it all back. Or v/v if I want
                                      to skip the signature. Etc.

                                      The 'vim' instance used to do the editing is going to disappear
                                      immediately after, so I'm not concerned about cut vs copy, etc.
                                      Everything goes into the "clipboard", then dumped back into LO's reply
                                      window, so a plain ':%d' won't work.

                                      In a similar vein, I was never much on "visual" vs *real* 'vi' commands,
                                      but it does come in handy to delete subroutines, etc. Eg, for the
                                      format

                                      sub sub1(){
                                      }

                                      sub sub2(){
                                      }

                                      all you need to do it find the initial "sub", then "V$%jj" to grab the
                                      whole thing, and delete it, copy it, cut it, etc. Go into visual,
                                      end-of-line (for the leading '{'), '%' (for the matching '}'), down a
                                      coupla lines to grab trailing whitespace, then bam!, it's gone. And
                                      it's a visual confirmation to make sure you don't go nuts and delete
                                      more than you intended.

                                      Point being that for some operations, visual mode is a lot more
                                      reassuring.
                                    • Hari Krishna Dara
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 4, 2007
                                        On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 at 11:27am, Gene Kwiecinski wrote:

                                        > Just getting to email now, so this is essentially a consolidated reply
                                        > to all who answered...
                                        >

                                        >>> Speaking of which, is there any quicker way to visually select the
                                        >>> entire file, analogous to ^A in other systems?
                                        >
                                        >> To copy the entire file to the system clipboard, you can do:
                                        >> :%y+
                                        >> Rpelace y with d if you want to cut instead of copy.
                                        >> Replace + with * if you want to use middle-click to paste (on X11.)
                                        >
                                        > That's about the shortest I could come up with, ":%d+", to do what I
                                        > want, but still not quite what I was looking for. I was kindasorta
                                        > expecting a normal-mode solution, like 'gg*V' or something, to avoid
                                        > even toggling the shift key all that much (think "baud" vs "bps").
                                        >
                                        > The only thing I really use it for is to c&p from LookOut's email to
                                        > 'vim', then back again. So I ^A the entire reply, dump it into a new
                                        > 'vim' window, edit it to insert a new quotelevel, etc., then want to
                                        > "^A" it to get it back into LO. But it's repetitive/frequent enough to
                                        > make me want to shorten the command further.
                                        >
                                        > Ain't "hung up" on visual mode or anything (hi Tim!), it's just that
                                        > when I don't want headers at the top, I can start from the bottom ('G'),
                                        > make my way to the top in visual ('1G'), then down my way past the
                                        > headers to *not* grab them when putting it all back. Or v/v if I want
                                        > to skip the signature. Etc.
                                        >
                                        > The 'vim' instance used to do the editing is going to disappear
                                        > immediately after, so I'm not concerned about cut vs copy, etc.
                                        > Everything goes into the "clipboard", then dumped back into LO's reply
                                        > window, so a plain ':%d' won't work.
                                        >

                                        > In a similar vein, I was never much on "visual" vs *real* 'vi' commands,
                                        > but it does come in handy to delete subroutines, etc. Eg, for the
                                        > format
                                        >
                                        > sub sub1(){
                                        > }
                                        >
                                        > sub sub2(){
                                        > }
                                        >
                                        > all you need to do it find the initial "sub", then "V$%jj" to grab the
                                        > whole thing, and delete it, copy it, cut it, etc. Go into visual,
                                        > end-of-line (for the leading '{'), '%' (for the matching '}'), down a
                                        > coupla lines to grab trailing whitespace, then bam!, it's gone. And
                                        > it's a visual confirmation to make sure you don't go nuts and delete
                                        > more than you intended.
                                        >
                                        > Point being that for some operations, visual mode is a lot more
                                        > reassuring.

                                        Have you looked at the below Vim tip?
                                        http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=805

                                        Read through the comments as well as the original tip has been improved
                                        over a few iterations in the comments.

                                        --
                                        Hari

                                        http://tv.yahoo.com/