VimWiki - First Beta

  • Sebastian Menge
    Message 1 of 10 , May 29, 2007
      Hi all

      Access the first beta here: http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5

      I did a lot of experiments over the weekend. I mostly used a local
      mediawiki-installation and even from localhost to localhost a full
      import takes about an hour. Im excited to learn how long it will take to
      import to a remote mediawiki ...

      Some notes about it:

      1) references to other tips get automatically replaced like in
      http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5/VimTip123

      2) references to the vim help get replaced by links to the
      vim-doc.sf.net as in http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5/VimTip26

      3) the following chars are forbidden in titles : [] {} # | +
      These get replaced by __HASH__ __PLUS__ and the like. This is ugly but i
      dont want to do any editorial work on the articles now.

      4) The formatting of the tips and comments gets broken fairly often.
      This is because original tips are verbatim and could contain wiki-markup
      (eg. one space indent is interpreted as verbatim by the wiki or the vim
      command '[[' starts a wiki tag)

      5) we definitely need to edit the tips later on. I wont tweak the script
      up to infinity. Some things are easier repaired by Hand (e.g.
      http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5/VimTip7 )

      My host is only accessible until 17h MESZ (thats 3h from now on). Then
      i'll be offline.

      Please give feedback!

      Sebastian.
    • Yakov Lerner
      Message 2 of 10 , May 29, 2007
        On 5/29/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
        > Hi all
        >
        > Access the first beta here: http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5

        Where can I see the "recently posted"/"by recency" view ?
        In other words, what's used for RSS ?

        Yakov
      • Sebastian Menge
        Message 3 of 10 , May 29, 2007
          Am Dienstag, den 29.05.2007, 02:45 -1100 schrieb Yakov Lerner:
          > On 5/29/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
          > > Hi all
          > >
          > > Access the first beta here: http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5
          >
          > Where can I see the "recently posted"/"by recency" view ?
          > In other words, what's used for RSS ?

          It's a quick and dirty installation on my machine, probably RSS is an
          extension that is not installed. That will change on vim.wikia.com.

          Recent Changes in HTML-Form can be found here:

          http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5/index.php/Special:Recentchanges

          Seb.
        • Tom Purl
          Message 4 of 10 , May 29, 2007
            On Tue, May 29, 2007 8:45 am, Yakov Lerner wrote:
            > On 5/29/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
            >> Hi all
            >>
            >> Access the first beta here: http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5
            >
            > Where can I see the "recently posted"/"by recency" view ?
            > In other words, what's used for RSS ?

            I don't think that Mediawiki has this feature by default.
            Traditionally, I think you're supposed to explicitly "watch" a page and
            then you need to manually check your "watched pages" list. It's not the
            most efficient process in the world I know, but that's the way it's done
            most of the time.

            HTH,

            Tom Purl
          • Tom Purl
            Message 5 of 10 , May 29, 2007
              At first blush, it looks really good. I'm making a httrack copy of it
              right now since I know that it won't be up much longer. Later I can
              give you a better review :)

              Great work!

              Tom Purl

              On Tue, May 29, 2007 7:04 am, Sebastian Menge wrote:
              > Hi all
              >
              > Access the first beta here: http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5
              >
              > I did a lot of experiments over the weekend. I mostly used a local
              > mediawiki-installation and even from localhost to localhost a full
              > import takes about an hour. Im excited to learn how long it will take to
              > import to a remote mediawiki ...
              >
              > Some notes about it:
              >
              > 1) references to other tips get automatically replaced like in
              > http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5/VimTip123
              >
              > 2) references to the vim help get replaced by links to the
              > vim-doc.sf.net as in http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5/VimTip26
              >
              > 3) the following chars are forbidden in titles : [] {} # | +
              > These get replaced by __HASH__ __PLUS__ and the like. This is ugly but i
              > dont want to do any editorial work on the articles now.
              >
              > 4) The formatting of the tips and comments gets broken fairly often.
              > This is because original tips are verbatim and could contain wiki-markup
              > (eg. one space indent is interpreted as verbatim by the wiki or the vim
              > command '[[' starts a wiki tag)
              >
              > 5) we definitely need to edit the tips later on. I wont tweak the script
              > up to infinity. Some things are easier repaired by Hand (e.g.
              > http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5/VimTip7 )
              >
              > My host is only accessible until 17h MESZ (thats 3h from now on). Then
              > i'll be offline.
              >
              > Please give feedback!
              >
              > Sebastian.

            • Sebastian Menge
              Message 6 of 10 , May 29, 2007
                Am Dienstag, den 29.05.2007, 09:57 -0500 schrieb Tom Purl:
                > At first blush, it looks really good. I'm making a httrack copy of it
                > right now since I know that it won't be up much longer.

                No need to do that, ill leave the machine in the office, so everyone can
                test all night long :-)

                But please dont spam my machine ... ;-)

                Sebastian.
              • Tom Purl
                Message 7 of 10 , May 29, 2007
                  On Tue, May 29, 2007 9:53 am, Tom Purl wrote:
                  > On Tue, May 29, 2007 8:45 am, Yakov Lerner wrote:
                  >> On 5/29/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
                  >>> Hi all
                  >>>
                  >>> Access the first beta here: http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5
                  >>
                  >> Where can I see the "recently posted"/"by recency" view ?
                  >> In other words, what's used for RSS ?
                  >
                  > I don't think that Mediawiki has this feature by default.
                  > Traditionally, I think you're supposed to explicitly "watch" a page and
                  > then you need to manually check your "watched pages" list. It's not the
                  > most efficient process in the world I know, but that's the way it's done
                  > most of the time.

                  Wait, here's a better answer. It looks like both wikia and wikibooks
                  offers an rss feed of the "recent changes" page. Since we have our own
                  wiki instance on wikia, the recent changes page on has vim-related
                  changes. On the wikibooks page, it appears that every single change to
                  en.wikibooks.org is recorded on that page. This may be something to
                  think about when we eventually choose our wiki host.
                • A.J.Mechelynck
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 29, 2007
                    Sebastian Menge wrote:
                    > Am Dienstag, den 29.05.2007, 02:45 -1100 schrieb Yakov Lerner:
                    >> On 5/29/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
                    >>> Hi all
                    >>>
                    >>> Access the first beta here: http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5
                    >> Where can I see the "recently posted"/"by recency" view ?
                    >> In other words, what's used for RSS ?
                    >
                    > It's a quick and dirty installation on my machine, probably RSS is an
                    > extension that is not installed. That will change on vim.wikia.com.
                    >
                    > Recent Changes in HTML-Form can be found here:
                    >
                    > http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5/index.php/Special:Recentchanges
                    >
                    > Seb.

                    That URL is broken; use the following:

                    http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5/Special:Recentchanges

                    otherwise "index.php" gets duplicated, leading to "Page not found, do you wish
                    to create it?"

                    $100 invested at 7% interest for 100 years will become $100,000, at
                    which time it will be worth absolutely nothing.
                    -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"
                  • Yongwei Wu
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 29, 2007
                      HI Sebastian,

                      On 29/05/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
                      > Hi all
                      >
                      > Access the first beta here: http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5
                      [snipped]
                      > Please give feedback!

                      From this page:

                      http://ls10pc13.cs.uni-dortmund.de/mediawiki/index.php/AES256_Encryption_in_vim_done_easy.

                      I realized that `#' is interpreted as numbering in MediaWiki and needs
                      some special processing. Maybe it is better to do so from your script.

                      I have no idea how to escape it.

                      Best regards,

                      Yongwei
                      --
                      Wu Yongwei
                        Yongwei Wu wrote:
                        > HI Sebastian,
                        >
                        > On 29/05/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
                        >> Hi all
                        >>
                        >> Access the first beta here: http://tinyurl.com/34kfj5
                        > [snipped]
                        >> Please give feedback!
                        >
                        >> From this page:
                        >
                        > http://ls10pc13.cs.uni-dortmund.de/mediawiki/index.php/AES256_Encryption_in_vim_done_easy.
                        >

                        > I realized that `#' is interpreted as numbering in MediaWiki and needs
                        > some special processing. Maybe it is better to do so from your script.
                        >
                        > I have no idea how to escape it.

                        I haven't tried but I can imagine either

                        #

                        or

                        <nowiki>#</nowiki>

                        Not sure whether they both work.

                        > Best regards,
                        >
                        > Yongwei

                        "When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if I had any
                        firearms with me. I said, `Well, what do you need?'"
                        -- Steven Wright