VimWiki - referring to vimdoc

  • Sebastian Menge
    Message 1 of 6 , May 23, 2007
      Im tweaking the import script right now, and noticed that there are many
      references to the :help.

      I would like to replace all the occurrences of sth. like (:help
      some-text) by a reference to vimdoc.

      Does someone know how what URL could be used instead of ":help
      sometext" ??

      I found the link
      http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/tags.html#help-tags but the page
      is not available. (404)

      Any ideas?

      Sebastian.
    • Yakov Lerner
      Message 2 of 6 , May 23, 2007
        On 5/23/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
        > Im tweaking the import script right now, and noticed that there are many
        > references to the :help.
        >
        > I would like to replace all the occurrences of sth. like (:help
        > some-text) by a reference to vimdoc.
        >
        > Does someone know how what URL could be used instead of ":help
        > sometext" ??
        >
        > I found the link
        > http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/tags.html#help-tags but the page
        > is not available. (404)

        You can use following URL to find tags matching SOMETEXT:

        http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/search.php?docs=help&search=SOMETEXT

        Yakov
      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 6 , May 23, 2007
          On 2007-05-23, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
          > Im tweaking the import script right now, and noticed that there are many
          > references to the :help.
          >
          > I would like to replace all the occurrences of sth. like (:help
          > some-text) by a reference to vimdoc.
          >
          > Does someone know how what URL could be used instead of ":help
          > sometext" ??

          I think I'd keep the ":help sometext" so that people can access the
          topic locally if they want to. This is especially important if
          someone prints a paper copy of the tip.

          The "official" on-line help files seem to be at
          http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/. For example, the ":help
          i_CTRL-W" entry is found at

          http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/insert.html#i_CTRL-W

          These URLs may have to be found manually, since they consist of the
          file name as well as the tag.

          > I found the link
          > http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/tags.html#help-tags but the page
          > is not available. (404)

          Executing ":help tags.txt" shows there is no tags.txt help file,
          so I wouldn't expect there to be a tags.html file, and ":help
          help-tags" shows there is no such tag, either. However, ":help
          help<tab>" shows ":helptags", which is found in various.txt, so this
          URL should work:

          http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/various.html#:helptags

          and it does.

          HTH,
          Gary

          --
          Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
          garyjohn@... | Mobile Broadband Division
          | Spokane, Washington, USA
        • Sebastian Menge
          Message 4 of 6 , May 23, 2007
            Am Mittwoch, den 23.05.2007, 11:12 -0700 schrieb Gary Johnson:
            > Executing ":help tags.txt" shows there is no tags.txt help file,

            Yea, there is "tags" in the doc-directory of vim, one can easily use
            that with python (python is really cool!) and construct the URL.

            You're right, the text of the link should still be ":help sth"

            Sebastian

            PS: By now only 16 votes for the wiki-issue. I repeat the URL to the
            poll just in case someone missed it at first:
            http://snappoll.com/poll/194388.php
          • fREW
            Message 5 of 6 , May 23, 2007
              On 5/23/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
              > Am Mittwoch, den 23.05.2007, 11:12 -0700 schrieb Gary Johnson:
              > > Executing ":help tags.txt" shows there is no tags.txt help file,
              >
              > Yea, there is "tags" in the doc-directory of vim, one can easily use
              > that with python (python is really cool!) and construct the URL.
              >
              > You're right, the text of the link should still be ":help sth"
              >
              > Sebastian
              >
              > PS: By now only 16 votes for the wiki-issue. I repeat the URL to the
              > poll just in case someone missed it at first:
              > http://snappoll.com/poll/194388.php

              For the help links could you just have :help tag be a link to where
              ever? It would then look right on paper, but you could still click
              it.

              -fREW
            • A.J.Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 6 , May 23, 2007
                Sebastian Menge wrote:
                > Am Mittwoch, den 23.05.2007, 11:12 -0700 schrieb Gary Johnson:
                >> Executing ":help tags.txt" shows there is no tags.txt help file,
                >
                > Yea, there is "tags" in the doc-directory of vim, one can easily use
                > that with python (python is really cool!) and construct the URL.
                >
                > You're right, the text of the link should still be ":help sth"
                >
                > Sebastian
                >
                > PS: By now only 16 votes for the wiki-issue. I repeat the URL to the
                > poll just in case someone missed it at first:
                > http://snappoll.com/poll/194388.php

                Hm, interesting. AFAICT, there is a tie: both options come out too close to
                each other for a statistically significant winner to come out. So IMHO more
                votes are required to clear the fog and resolve the issue.

                I would like to suggest that you not use speed, and here's why: it is
                going to mess up your heart, mess up your liver, your kidneys, rot out
                your mind. In general this drug will make you just like your mother
                and father.
                -- Frank Zappa