VimWiki - again - but with a brand new option

  • Martin Krischik
    Message 1 of 31 , May 6, 2007
      Hello Vim Developers,
      Hello Vim Users,

      some time ago there was a huge discussion about a Vim-Wiki. In the end
      WikiBooks has the highest support. Still some whished for a Vim-only-Wiki
      instead of beeing part of a larger project.

      For this a new option is not open: SourceForge ended the beta for there wiki
      support. We can now have a Vim-only-Wiki with just one mouse click. In fact
      we could have several because there are several Vim projects on SourceForge.

      It would be just for us, has a propper user maintainance, (desaster) backup by
      SourceForge themself and it can be personalised by CSS.

      All it takes to start is a project admin to activate the wiki.

      Martin

      [1] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Learning_the_vi_editor/Vim
      --
      Martin Krischik
      mailto://krischik@...
      Message 31 of 31 , May 10, 2007
        On Thu, May 10, 2007 3:40 am, John Beckett wrote:
        > Tom Purl wrote:
        >> Here's what I propose we do:
        >> 1. Finalize a tip formatting standard.
        >> 2. Use the best available script that supports this standard.
        >> 3. Update the best available script if necessary.
        >> 4. Revise the standard if necessary.
        >> 5. Convert a tips sample.
        >> 6. Review the sample and revise the script if necessary.
        >
        > Good. But to keep our discussion focussed, please do what you
        > did last time: Put a sample tip on a wiki page so we can agree
        > on its features.

        We already have a tip on the page that people have been working on. You
        can see the link to it on the following page:

        * http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Learning_the_vi_editor/Vim/TipsSandbox

        > Please take Gene's advice and manually edit the page to how you think
        > it should look. Once the format is agreed, we can ask for a script.
        >
        > I recommend:
        > - Propose a format for the URL of each tip, as well as
        > the format of the page.
        >
        > - Omit the info box with author, date, tip rating, Vim version.
        > It's too hard to maintain, and too intrusive.
        >
        > - Keep the comments on the tip page, with a very simple
        > comment heading in front of each, something like:
        > -----By UserName on March 8, 2001 14:51-----
        >
        > To make it easy to edit the page, the comment heading should be
        > a single line in the wiki source.

        I agree that we should keep things as simple as possible, at least for
        the initial conversion. After that, when all updates are manual, we can
        be more fancy :)

        This not only saves time, but I just don't think that it is possible to
        create a conversion script that can convert plain text that doesn't use
        a single markup style to a consistent format.

        > -Or- Put all the comments on the talk page, with the format as
        > above. However, that seems unnecessarily tricky to do in
        > practice (it doubles the number of pages we have to work with).
        >
        > I favour putting the comments in the main page to make it easier
        > to clean up the tip. When we see a tip with old-style comments,
        > we would know that it needed an overhaul.

        So do I.

        >> 1. Let's use this mailing list to coordinate the project.
        >> All comments regarding wiki page format, however, should be
        >> written to the "talk" section of the affected wiki page.
        >
        > Please be more explicit. Will we use the vim or the vim-dev
        > list?

        I was referring to the user mailing list.

        > How can we comment on the wiki page format on the "talk" section?

        Each page has a "talk" tab, and you can use it to comment on a wiki
        page.

        > I think we should use the vim mailing list for all discussions until a
        > decision (your decision!) is made to finalise the wiki site, format,
        > and script.

        Ok, what does everyone else think? I'm open to this, especially since
        it's easier to keep up with the mailing list than it is to keep up with
        a Wikibooks watchlist page.

        > Final suggestion: Please start a new thread (new subject) which
        > we will follow until everything is finalised, rather than
        > replying to this.

        I agree. I'm a big fan of proper mailing list thread etiquette, even
        though I completely ignored it for this discussion :)

        I plan on starting a new thread for each deadline, and I think we should
        be fairly granular when it comes to thread creation. It makes things
        easier to follow. If in doubt, create a new thread!

        > It would be great if you would consider what I and others have
        > written, then make a proposal with what you think.

        Thanks for the feedback! My "proposal" is basically what I said
        yesterday - that we follow some sort of schedule and make some
        decisions. I like your suggestions. What does everyone else think?

        Tom Purl