Re: savevers plugin

  • Yakov Lerner
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2007
      On 5/3/07, Waters, Bill <waters@...> wrote:
      > I am looking at using the savevers plugin. I don't think it does
      > exactly what I am looking for.

      Why don't you set savevers_max to 999999999 ?
      Do you plan to have more than 999999999 versions ? (if I underdtand
      your request right).

      Otherwise, your request sounds strange. It sounds like this:
      "I want to set savevers_max to 3, and I want savevers to ignore this".

      It's like "I want vim to go to line 10 when I tell him to go to line 5".

      Why would you want to set savevers_max to wrong value instead of
      desired value (9999999) in the first place ?

      Yakov

      > I want the old version of my file to be
      > saved regardless of what savevers_max is set to. If I set savevers_max
      > to three and I save for the fourth time, I want the oldest, saved
      > version of the file to be deleted and I want my latest last-version to
      > be saved.
      >
      > My files would go from this...
      >
      > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 226 Sep 20 11:43 test.txt
      > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 102 Sep 20 11:12 test.txt.0001.clean
      > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 106 Sep 20 11:14 test.txt.0002.clean
      > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 132 Sep 20 11:22 test.txt.0003.clean
      >
      > To this...
      >
      > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 226 Sep 20 11:43 test.txt
      > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 106 Sep 20 11:14 test.txt.0002.clean
      > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 132 Sep 20 11:22 test.txt.0003.clean
      > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 148 Sep 20 11:34 test.txt.0004.clean
      >
      > Anyway to do this? Anybody already hacked savevers to do this? Or have
      > some clever mappings to handle this?
      >
      > A related question... is there a way to use a single backup directory
      > for all files? I think it would need to have a way to make all file
      > names unique. So that saving /dir1/a.txt wouldn't clobber over
      > /dir2/a.txt.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Bill

    • Suresh Govindachar
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2007
        OP wants to save 4 copies only but with "true" version numbers (rather than "relative" version numbers of 0, 1, 2, 3).

        --Suresh

        > I am looking at using the savevers plugin. I don't think it does
        > exactly what I am looking for.

        Why don't you set savevers_max to 999999999 ?
        Do you plan to have more than 999999999 versions ? (if I underdtand
        your request right).

        Otherwise, your request sounds strange. It sounds like this:
        "I want to set savevers_max to 3, and I want savevers to ignore this".

        It's like "I want vim to go to line 10 when I tell him to go to line 5".

        Why would you want to set savevers_max to wrong value instead of
        desired value (9999999) in the first place ?

        Yakov

        > I want the old version of my file to be
        > saved regardless of what savevers_max is set to. If I set savevers_max
        > to three and I save for the fourth time, I want the oldest, saved
        > version of the file to be deleted and I want my latest last-version to
        > be saved.
        >
        > My files would go from this...
        >
        > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 226 Sep 20 11:43 test.txt
        > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 102 Sep 20 11:12 test.txt.0001.clean
        > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 106 Sep 20 11:14 test.txt.0002.clean
        > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 132 Sep 20 11:22 test.txt.0003.clean
        >
        > To this...
        >
        > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 226 Sep 20 11:43 test.txt
        > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 106 Sep 20 11:14 test.txt.0002.clean
        > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 132 Sep 20 11:22 test.txt.0003.clean
        > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 148 Sep 20 11:34 test.txt.0004.clean
        >
        > Anyway to do this? Anybody already hacked savevers to do this? Or have
        > some clever mappings to handle this?
        >
        > A related question... is there a way to use a single backup directory
        > for all files? I think it would need to have a way to make all file
        > names unique. So that saving /dir1/a.txt wouldn't clobber over
        > /dir2/a.txt.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Bill

      • Waters, Bill
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2007
          I don't want to have to remember to periodically purge the backup files.
          And I don't want the backups to string on forever and fill my harddrive.

          In actual practice, I would set savevers_max to 100 or 1000. The backup
          function would be running and I wouldn't ever have to think about it,
          other then when I need to access old data.

          I also want it out of site, thus the questions about having one backup
          directory and the need to make file names unique.

          > I am looking at using the savevers plugin. I don't think it does
          > exactly what I am looking for.

          Why don't you set savevers_max to 999999999 ?
          Do you plan to have more than 999999999 versions ? (if I underdtand
          your request right).

          Otherwise, your request sounds strange. It sounds like this:
          "I want to set savevers_max to 3, and I want savevers to ignore this".

          It's like "I want vim to go to line 10 when I tell him to go to line 5".

          Why would you want to set savevers_max to wrong value instead of
          desired value (9999999) in the first place ?

          Yakov

          > I want the old version of my file to be
          > saved regardless of what savevers_max is set to. If I set
          savevers_max
          > to three and I save for the fourth time, I want the oldest, saved
          > version of the file to be deleted and I want my latest last-version to
          > be saved.
          >
          > My files would go from this...
          >
          > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 226 Sep 20 11:43 test.txt
          > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 102 Sep 20 11:12 test.txt.0001.clean
          > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 106 Sep 20 11:14 test.txt.0002.clean
          > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 132 Sep 20 11:22 test.txt.0003.clean
          >
          > To this...
          >
          > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 226 Sep 20 11:43 test.txt
          > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 106 Sep 20 11:14 test.txt.0002.clean
          > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 132 Sep 20 11:22 test.txt.0003.clean
          > -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 148 Sep 20 11:34 test.txt.0004.clean
          >
          > Anyway to do this? Anybody already hacked savevers to do this? Or
          have
          > some clever mappings to handle this?
          >
          > A related question... is there a way to use a single backup directory
          > for all files? I think it would need to have a way to make all file
          > names unique. So that saving /dir1/a.txt wouldn't clobber over
          > /dir2/a.txt.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Bill

        • Waters, Bill
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2007
            Rollover would occur at the savevers_max value. In this example,
            savevers_max is set to 99.

            -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 226 Sep 20 11:43 test.txt
            -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 106 Sep 20 11:14 test.txt.0098.clean
            -rw-r----- 1 eralston admin 132 Sep 20 11:22 test.txt.0099.clean