Re: undo line numbers wrong

  • Marvin Renich
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2007
      * A.J.Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> [070427 10:11]:
      > Talk nicely to your sysadmin or your sysop, maybe around a glass of beer or a
      > cup of coffee if you can, and try to convince him to upgrade Vim. He may not
      > like compiling it himself though, even though it is not really hard: see my Vim
      > cheat sheet, http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm -- you
      > may want to print that for him before you talk to him. He may be interested in
      > the fact that his current version dates back to begin October, and that since
      > then 111 more patches (including the ones you need) have been published,
      > including several new ones yesterday.
      >

      > Best regards,
      > Tony.

      If he's not willing to compile vim himself, ask if he is willing to
      install the version from lenny, which is (currently) 1:7.0-219+1. This
      will at least get you close to the latest.

      Your other alternative is to compile it yourself and leave it in your
      own ~/bin directory. I've not tried mucking with the "install" target
      to get make to install in ~/bin and ~/.vim, but you can build it and
      manually move the files yourself.

      ...Marvin
    • Yakov Lerner
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2007
        On 4/27/07, Robert Cussons <r.cussons@...> wrote:
        > Thanks Tony, doubt he'll be that interested as he's an emacs user! But
        > anyway some time next week I will try and convince him.

        You can install latest vim under your $HOME -- this does not
        require any root privileges -- with a single command, a script
        'vim7-install.sh'.

        Script vim7-install.sh is at

        "vim7-install.sh : {download + build + install} latest vim7 [from
        svn sources] in 1 command"

        Yakov
      • Yakov Lerner
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2007
          On 5/2/07, Robert Cussons <r.cussons@...> wrote:
> [...]
          > >
          > > Yakov
          > >

          > Thanks very much Yakov, just done that and it seems to have worked fine,
          > there's just a couple of curious things:
          >
          > 1) below is the first part of the output, what are the errors right at
          > the bottom of this part?
          >
          > cussons@tplx36:~$ sh ./vim7-install.sh
          > This will download, build and install vim7 (using svn).
          > Select one of the following:
          > 1) You know root password and you want to install
          > vim globally for all users on this computer
          > (into /usr/local/bin)
          > 2) You do not know root password or you want to
          > install vim under your $HOME/bin directory
          > 2
          > # previously downloaded source found.
          > * checking for locally modified files ...
          > **** Found locally modified files
          > (dir=/var/tmp/user4046/vim7_from_svn/vim7) *****
          > M src/auto/config.mk
          > **** Found locally modified files
          > (dir=/var/tmp/user4046/vim7_from_svn/vim7) *****
          > Select (1) Discard local changes (2) Keep local changes [1] ?
          > 2
          > + cd /var/tmp/user4046/vim7_from_svn/vim7
          > + svn up
          > Error validating server certificate for 'https://svn.sourceforge.net:443':
          > - The certificate is not issued by a trusted authority. Use the
          > fingerprint to validate the certificate manually!
          > Certificate information:
          > - Hostname: *.sourceforge.net
          > - Valid: from Jan 17 18:17:01 2007 GMT until Mar 18 18:17:01 2008 GMT
          > - Issuer: Equifax Secure Certificate Authority, Equifax, US
          > - Fingerprint: a1:3a:51:83:60:5e:81:07:be:6c:06:d1:db:34:9b:d8:b9:40:b5:d0
          > (R)eject, accept (t)emporarily or accept (p)ermanently? p
          > svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svnroot/vim/vim7'
          > svn: PROPFIND of '/svnroot/vim/vim7': Could not read status line: Secure
          > connection truncated (https://svn.sourceforge.net)
          > svn returned error(s). Press Enter to continue, Ctrl-C to stop
          >
          > 2) it says I should validate the certificate manually, but how do you
          > actually go about doing that?
          >
          > 3) the final part of the output is as follows:
          >
          > make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/user4046/vim7_from_svn/vim7/src'
          > Build and install successful
          >
          > ***********************************
          > ***********************************
          > **** Warning: directory $HOME/bin is not in you PATH!
          > **** You need to add directory $HOME/bin to your PATH to run new vim
          >

          > but if I do the following:
          > cussons@tplx36:~/bin$ echo $HOME
          > /the/cussons
          > cussons@tplx36:~/bin$ echo $PATH
          > /usr/the_local/bin/:/usr/bin/:/the/cussons/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/the/cussons/bin/clewn/:/the/cussons/LeoScript/crudeleo-1.9/
          >
          > you can see that $HOME/bin is in my PATH, therefore, does your error
          > message actually mean that as there is a version of vim in /usr/bin/
          > that this one will be loaded first and therefore, I should place
          > /the/cussons/bin/ before it in the PATH to give it preference?

          1. Just answer 'p' to accept the certificate permanently.
          2. The check for $HOME/bin in the path is not comlpete indeed.

          a) Type 'type vim' in bash to see which vim is taken, one from
          your /usr/bin or from $HOME/bin.

          b) Put $HOME/bin to the *front* of your path, before /usr/bin and before
          /usr/local/bin and before all other dirs that might contain other
          version of vim.

          c) Additionally, put this in your .bashrc:
          alias vim=$HOME/bin/vim'

          d) I recommend that you do both (b) and (c), and then check 'type vim' again.

          I will need to fix vim7-install.sh to fix that $HOME/bin in the end.
          I need to check that $HOME/bin is before other /usr/* dirs,
          not only *somewhere* in the PATH. "Somewhere" in the PATH
          is not good check. In your case, script was confused by the trailing
          slash in $HOME/bin/, it expects $HOME/bin. I'll fix that, too. Thanks
          for reporting.

          Yakov
        • Robert Cussons
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2007
            Yakov Lerner wrote:
> [...]
            > 2. The check for $HOME/bin in the path is not comlpete indeed.
            >
            > a) Type 'type vim' in bash to see which vim is taken, one from
            > your /usr/bin or from $HOME/bin.
            >
            > b) Put $HOME/bin to the *front* of your path, before /usr/bin and before
            > /usr/local/bin and before all other dirs that might contain other
            > version of vim.
            >
            > c) Additionally, put this in your .bashrc:
            > alias vim=$HOME/bin/vim'
            >
            > d) I recommend that you do both (b) and (c), and then check 'type vim'
            > again.
            >

            > I will need to fix vim7-install.sh to fix that $HOME/bin in the end.
            > I need to check that $HOME/bin is before other /usr/* dirs,
            > not only *somewhere* in the PATH. "Somewhere" in the PATH
            > is not good check. In your case, script was confused by the trailing
            > slash in $HOME/bin/, it expects $HOME/bin. I'll fix that, too. Thanks

            Thanks for the utility, had already resolved the problems with the PATH
            just thought I should let you know.

            Is the part below in the error just to do with the certificate, or
            something else?

            svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svnroot/vim/vim7'
            svn: PROPFIND of '/svnroot/vim/vim7': Could not read status line: Secure
            connection truncated (https://svn.sourceforge.net)
            svn returned error(s). Press Enter to continue, Ctrl-C to stop

            Also what does it mean by manually validating the certificate, it is not
            relevant to this install, but just wondering if anyone out there knows
            what it means?

            Error validating server certificate for
            'https://svn.sourceforge.net:443':
            - The certificate is not issued by a trusted authority. Use the
            fingerprint to validate the certificate manually!
            Certificate information:
            - Hostname: *.sourceforge.net
            - Valid: from Jan 17 18:17:01 2007 GMT until Mar 18 18:17:01 2008 GMT
            - Issuer: Equifax Secure Certificate Authority, Equifax, US
            - Fingerprint:
            a1:3a:51:83:60:5e:81:07:be:6c:06:d1:db:34:9b:d8:b9:40:b5:d0
            (R)eject, accept (t)emporarily or accept (p)ermanently? p

            Thanks again,
            Rob.
          • Yakov Lerner
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2007
> [...]
              > connection truncated (https://svn.sourceforge.net)
              > svn returned error(s). Press Enter to continue, Ctrl-C to stop
              >

              > Also what does it mean by manually validating the certificate, it is not
              > relevant to this install, but just wondering if anyone out there knows
              > what it means?
              >
              > Error validating server certificate for
              > 'https://svn.sourceforge.net:443':
              > - The certificate is not issued by a trusted authority. Use the
              > fingerprint to validate the certificate manually!
              > Certificate information:
              > - Hostname: *.sourceforge.net
              > - Valid: from Jan 17 18:17:01 2007 GMT until Mar 18 18:17:01 2008 GMT
              > - Issuer: Equifax Secure Certificate Authority, Equifax, US
              > - Fingerprint:
              > a1:3a:51:83:60:5e:81:07:be:6c:06:d1:db:34:9b:d8:b9:40:b5:d0
              > (R)eject, accept (t)emporarily or accept (p)ermanently? p

              Robert,
              Regarding PROPFIND error. Several users reported this failure on 1st try and
              then it works on the 2nd try. This never happened to me. Probably because
              I use relatively recent verion of svn client. I believe this is some bug in
              older svn client. WHich OS and version of svn client is yours (svn --version).

              Regarding the certificate. Again, newer version of svn client recognizes
              Equifax as valid certification authority. OLder version of svn, apparently,
              does not.

              Yakov
            • Robert Cussons
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2007
                Yakov Lerner wrote:
> [...]
                >> - Hostname: *.sourceforge.net
                >> - Valid: from Jan 17 18:17:01 2007 GMT until Mar 18 18:17:01 2008 GMT
                >> - Issuer: Equifax Secure Certificate Authority, Equifax, US
                >> - Fingerprint:
                >> a1:3a:51:83:60:5e:81:07:be:6c:06:d1:db:34:9b:d8:b9:40:b5:d0
                >> (R)eject, accept (t)emporarily or accept (p)ermanently? p
                >

                > Robert,
                > Regarding PROPFIND error. Several users reported this failure on 1st try
                > and
                > then it works on the 2nd try. This never happened to me. Probably because
                > I use relatively recent verion of svn client. I believe this is some bug in
                > older svn client. WHich OS and version of svn client is yours (svn
                > --version).
                >
                > Regarding the certificate. Again, newer version of svn client recognizes
                > Equifax as valid certification authority. OLder version of svn, apparently,

                I continued even with PROPFIND error, i.e. I didn't have to restart the
                programme, anyway, the svn client version is

                svn, version 1.1.4 (r13838)
                compiled May 13 2005, 06:29:47

                admittedly, not particularly new. In the not too distant future our
                cluster should be updated to Debian Etch which should have a new version
                of svn client in as well hopefully.

                Thanks for the help,
                Rob.