ok, new question on search

  • shawn bright
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
      lo there,
      when i do a search like /text
      it highlights all of the matches and i can use n and N to navigate.
      how do i turn the highlighting off when i am done?

      thanks
      sk
    • Albie Janse van Rensburg
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
        Gene Kwiecinski wrote:
        >> when i do a search like /text
        >> it highlights all of the matches and i can use n and N to navigate.
        >> how do i turn the highlighting off when i am done?
        >>

        > Need to keep the pattern in memory? If not, "/zzz" will do it, assuming
        > you don't have "zzz" anywhere else in your file, of course.
        >
        > Can fiddle with ":set nohls" and whatnot, but for me, it's just easier
        > to search for nothing to turn off highlighting of the just-searched-for
        > text.
        >
        > Then, of course, you'd have to ":set hls" to turn it back on again.
        > Lotta typing, big pain, 'swhy I don't do that, and just search for
        > gibberish instead if I want to unhighlight what I was just looking for.

        The search register can be overwritten by setting @/ to ''. This then
        clears your search "properly".

        For my purposes, I have the following mapping in my vimrc:

        nnoremap <silent> <M-/> :set @/=''<CR>

        so pressing alt-/ then clears my search.

        --
        Albie Janse van Rensburg

        It is only by risking our persons from one hour to another that we live
        at all. And often enough our faith beforehand in an uncertified result
        is the only thing that makes the result come true. -- William James
      • shawn bright
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
          cool enough, i guess i could map something to
          :/impossible_to_find_text or something
          thanks
          sk

          On 4/2/07, Gene Kwiecinski <gkwiecinski@...> wrote:
          > >when i do a search like /text
          > >it highlights all of the matches and i can use n and N to navigate.
          > >how do i turn the highlighting off when i am done?
          >
          > Need to keep the pattern in memory? If not, "/zzz" will do it, assuming
          > you don't have "zzz" anywhere else in your file, of course.
          >
          > Can fiddle with ":set nohls" and whatnot, but for me, it's just easier
          > to search for nothing to turn off highlighting of the just-searched-for
          > text.
          >
          > Then, of course, you'd have to ":set hls" to turn it back on again.
          > Lotta typing, big pain, 'swhy I don't do that, and just search for
          > gibberish instead if I want to unhighlight what I was just looking for.

        • Gene Kwiecinski
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
            >>Need to keep the pattern in memory? If not, "/zzz" will do it,
            assuming
            >>you don't have "zzz" anywhere else in your file, of course.

            >The search register can be overwritten by setting @/ to ''. This then
            >clears your search "properly".
            >For my purposes, I have the following mapping in my vimrc:
            >nnoremap <silent> <M-/> :set @/=''<CR>
            >so pressing alt-/ then clears my search.

            Yeah, but all those <shift>- and <alt>- stretches on the kb make my
            fingers hurt... :D
          • Gene Kwiecinski
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
              >cool enough, i guess i could map something to
              >:/impossible_to_find_text or something

              Or, just "zzz"... or "qwqw"... or ";;;"... etc. <shrug/>
            • Guido Van Hoecke
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
                shawn bright said on 02-04-07 17:56:
                > lo there,
                > when i do a search like /text
                > it highlights all of the matches and i can use n and N to navigate.
                > how do i turn the highlighting off when i am done?

                You could put following mapping in your.vimrc:

                :nnoremap <silent> <CR> :nohlsearch<CR>

                Now, as soon as you hit the enter key, the higlight is turned off.

                Is a very straigthforward and easy way of turning off the current highlight, without changing your settings at all.

                HTH, Guido.

                --
                http://vanhoecke.org ... and go2 places!
              • Jean-Rene David
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
                  * shawn bright [2007.04.02 12:00]:
                  > when i do a search like /text
                  > it highlights all of the matches and i can use n
                  > and N to navigate. how do i turn the
                  > highlighting off when i am done?

                  There's a command to do exactly that:

                  :nohlsearch

                  This will turn off highlighting for the current
                  search. Highlighting will come back for the next
                  search.

                  Note that this is different from the 'hlsearch'
                  option, whose effects are permanent.

                  Of course you can map this:

                  :map <F2> :nohlsearch<CR>

                  --
                  JR
                • Chad Gulley
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
                    i have a mapping that will toggle search highlighting on and off. you may find it useful.
                    map <F3> :set hlsearch! <CR>

                    --
                    chad

                    On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 12:43:07PM -0400, Jean-Rene David wrote:
                    > * shawn bright [2007.04.02 12:00]:
                    > > when i do a search like /text
                    > > it highlights all of the matches and i can use n
                    > > and N to navigate. how do i turn the
                    > > highlighting off when i am done?
                    >
                    > There's a command to do exactly that:
                    >
                    > :nohlsearch
                    >
                    > This will turn off highlighting for the current
                    > search. Highlighting will come back for the next
                    > search.
                    >
                    > Note that this is different from the 'hlsearch'
                    > option, whose effects are permanent.
                    >
                    > Of course you can map this:
                    >
                    > :map <F2> :nohlsearch<CR>
                    >
                    > --
                    > JR
                  • A.J.Mechelynck
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
                      Gene Kwiecinski wrote:
                      >>> Need to keep the pattern in memory? If not, "/zzz" will do it,
                      > assuming
                      >>> you don't have "zzz" anywhere else in your file, of course.
                      >
                      >> The search register can be overwritten by setting @/ to ''. This then
                      >> clears your search "properly".
                      >> For my purposes, I have the following mapping in my vimrc:
                      >> nnoremap <silent> <M-/> :set @/=''<CR>
                      >> so pressing alt-/ then clears my search.
                      >
                      > Yeah, but all those <shift>- and <alt>- stretches on the kb make my
                      > fingers hurt... :D

                      :noh

                      (with no "set") clears search highlighting until next search. If the 4
                      characters are to much for you, map it to a key, e.g.

                      :map <F12> :noh<CR>
                      :imap <F12> <C-O>:noh<CR>

                      What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away.