Re: gVim and Cygwin

  • Michael Schaap
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2007
      On 30-Mar-2007 21:23, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

      > OTOH, since (IIRC) builds of Vim available on the Cygwin site are
      > usually console builds, to get a Cygwin/X11 build of gvim you would
      > have to compile it yourself.

      Actually, an X11 gvim *is* available using Cygwin's setup.exe. It's not
      installed by default, but it is listed, under the 'Editors' category.

      - Michael
    • Robert Schols
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2007

        I use the UnxUtils package:
        http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

        It includes all of the commands I need and accepts forward slashes as
        well as backslashes. I use these commands from the standard precompiled
        gvim.exe from vim.org.

        I have cygwin as well, but it is later in my %PATH%.

        Although technically not an answer to your question, I think this is the
        best solution to your problem.

        Best regards,
        Robert

        PS: Actually I use the Labrat Toolkit which includes the UnxUtils
        package, but labrattech.com seems to have issues with php syntax at the
        moment. When they are up and running again you must check this out.
      • A.J.Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2007
          Robert Schols wrote:
          [...]
          > I use the UnxUtils package:
          > http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
          >
          > It includes all of the commands I need and accepts forward slashes as
          > well as backslashes. I use these commands from the standard precompiled
          > gvim.exe from vim.org.
          >
          > I have cygwin as well, but it is later in my %PATH%.
          >
          > Although technically not an answer to your question, I think this is the
          > best solution to your problem.
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Robert
          >
          > PS: Actually I use the Labrat Toolkit which includes the UnxUtils
          > package, but labrattech.com seems to have issues with php syntax at the
          > moment. When they are up and running again you must check this out.

          When I was on Windows, I tried the unxutils package, but I had some problems
          with it, I don't remember which ones. Apparently it works for some people, so
          let those go on using it. For people like me, happily there is another set of
          Unix-like programs which work under native Windows, viz. the GnuWin32
          utilities (available as a SourceForge project).

          I used to have GnuWin32 late in my PATH (after any Micro$oft programs of the
          same name such as sort.exe) and Cygwin not in the PATH at all (except of
          course in the terminal window running Cygwin bash, where it came early in the
          $PATH).

          "A wizard cannot do everything; a fact most magicians are reticent to
          admit, let alone discuss with prospective clients. Still, the fact
          remains that there are certain objects, and people, that are, for one
          reason or another, completely immune to any direct magical spell. It
          is for this group of beings that the magician learns the subtleties of
          using indirect spells. It also does no harm, in dealing with these
          matters, to carry a large club near your person at all times."
          -- The Teachings of Ebenezum, Volume VIII
        • ben lieb
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 14, 2007
            A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
            > Robert Schols wrote:
            > [...]
            >> I use the UnxUtils package:
            >> http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
            >>
            >> It includes all of the commands I need and accepts forward slashes as
            >> well as backslashes. I use these commands from the standard precompiled
            >> gvim.exe from vim.org.
            >>
            >> I have cygwin as well, but it is later in my %PATH%.
            >>
            >> Although technically not an answer to your question, I think this is the
            >> best solution to your problem.
            >>
            >> Best regards,
            >> Robert
            >>
            >> PS: Actually I use the Labrat Toolkit which includes the UnxUtils
            >> package, but labrattech.com seems to have issues with php syntax at the
            >> moment. When they are up and running again you must check this out.
            >>

            > When I was on Windows, I tried the unxutils package, but I had some
            > problems with it, I don't remember which ones. Apparently it works for
            > some people, so let those go on using it. For people like me, happily
            > there is another set of Unix-like programs which work under native
            > Windows, viz. the GnuWin32 utilities (available as a SourceForge
            > project).
            >
            > I used to have GnuWin32 late in my PATH (after any Micro$oft programs
            > of the same name such as sort.exe) and Cygwin not in the PATH at all
            > (except of course in the terminal window running Cygwin bash, where it
            > came early in the $PATH).
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Tony.
            Don't know if this answers the question, but I use cygwin and run
            'startx' from the cygwin prompt, and then run 'gvim' from the x prompt.