Re: can't source a file inside my _vimrc

  • Yakov Lerner
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
      On 3/1/07, kib2 <kib2@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I had to change my os and I'm now under Vista.
      > I installed Vim 7 and copied my previous _vimrc. All my settings are
      > good but one :
      >
      > the python.vim script
      > (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=30) is supposed to
      > build a menu, but I've got nothing instead.
      >
      > I've putted this line in my _vimrc, as explained on the python.vim script :
      >
      > au FileType python source C:\Program Files\vim\vim70\scripts\python.vim
      >
      > without success.

      What exactly do you mean by "without success".
      Do you get error message ? Which one ?

      Yakov
    • kib2
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
        Yakov Lerner a écrit :

        > What exactly do you mean by "without success".
        > Do you get error message ? Which one ?
        >
        > Yakov

        Hi Yakov,

        I've got no error message, but no menu too !
        How can I list all of my available extensions ?
      • Yakov Lerner
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
          On 3/1/07, kib2 <kib2@...> wrote:
          > Yakov Lerner a écrit :
          > >
          > > What exactly do you mean by "without success".
          > > Do you get error message ? Which one ?
          > >
          > > Yakov
          > >
          > Hi Yakov,
          >
          > I've got no error message, but no menu too !
          > How can I list all of my available extensions ?

          You're supposed to get additional menus only when
          you edit the *.py file. Are you editing the *.py file ?
          Also, try 'set ft=python' manually. Failing that, try
          to email the plugin author, jvfranklin@...

          Yakov
        • kib2
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
            Yakov Lerner a écrit :
            > On 3/1/07, kib2 <kib2@...> wrote:
            >> Yakov Lerner a écrit :
            >> >
            >> > What exactly do you mean by "without success".
            >> > Do you get error message ? Which one ?
            >> >
            >> > Yakov
            >> >
            >> Hi Yakov,
            >>
            >> I've got no error message, but no menu too !
            >> How can I list all of my available extensions ?
            >
            > You're supposed to get additional menus only when
            > you edit the *.py file. Are you editing the *.py file ?
            > Also, try 'set ft=python' manually.

            When I set it manually, it works fine now.
            So, what should I put inside my _vimrc to have this automaticaly ?
            Thanks.
          • Yakov Lerner
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
              On 3/1/07, kib2 <kib2@...> wrote:
              > Yakov Lerner a écrit :

              > >> Hi Yakov,
              > >>
              > >> I've got no error message, but no menu too !
              > >> How can I list all of my available extensions ?
              > >
              > > You're supposed to get additional menus only when
              > > you edit the *.py file. Are you editing the *.py file ?
              > > Also, try 'set ft=python' manually.
              >
              > When I set it manually, it works fine now.
              > So, what should I put inside my _vimrc to have this automaticaly ?

              Try ':filetype on'

              Yakov
            • kib2
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
                > Try ':filetype on'
                >
                > Yakov

                filetype on is already inside my mimrc.
                In fact, I've made a special function for the different languages I use :

                au BufEnter *.py exe Fpython()

                function Fpython()
                au FileType python source C:\Program Files\vim\vim70\scripts\python.vim
                autocmd BufRead,BufNewFile *.py syntax on
                autocmd BufRead,BufNewFile *.py set ai
                filetype on

                " les tabs sont des espaces pour Python:
                au BufNewFile,BufRead *.py set expandtab
                au BufNewFile,BufRead *.py set tabstop=4
                au BufNewFile,BufRead *.py set shiftwidth=4

                etc...
                endfunction

                Where do I go wrong ?
              • Gary Johnson
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
                  On 2007-03-01, kib2 <kib2@...> wrote:
                  > > Try ':filetype on'
                  > >
                  > > Yakov
                  > >

                  > filetype on is already inside my mimrc.
                  > In fact, I've made a special function for the different languages I use :
                  >

                  > au BufEnter *.py exe Fpython()
                  >
                  > function Fpython()
                  > au FileType python source C:\Program Files\vim\vim70\scripts\python.vim
                  > autocmd BufRead,BufNewFile *.py syntax on
                  > autocmd BufRead,BufNewFile *.py set ai
                  > filetype on
                  >
                  > " les tabs sont des espaces pour Python:
                  > au BufNewFile,BufRead *.py set expandtab
                  > au BufNewFile,BufRead *.py set tabstop=4
                  > au BufNewFile,BufRead *.py set shiftwidth=4
                  >
                  > etc...
                  > endfunction
                  >
                  > Where do I go wrong ?

                  If you want vim to automatically detect the file type, "filetype on"
                  must be executed _before_ any buffer is loaded, that is, before the
                  BufNewFile or BufRead events, and certainly before the BufEnter
                  event. Executing "filetype on" is like arming the file detection
                  mechanism, but the code above arms the detection _after_ the
                  triggering events have occurred.

                  So first of all, the "filetype on" line should be in the main body
                  of the _vimrc so that it is executed when _vimrc is sourced, not
                  later when an autocommand is triggered.

                  Secondly, if you want "syntax on", et al. to be executed when you
                  enter a buffer containing a Python file, you should either execute
                  Fpython() in an autocommand and remove all the autocommands from
                  within Fpython(), or you should execute Fpython() unconditionally
                  and leave the autocommands within Fpython() as they are. Otherwise,
                  the settings within Fpython() won't be executed until the second
                  Python file is loaded and vim's behavior will appear to be
                  inconsistent.

                  Your whole approach is really more complicated and error-prone than
                  it needs to be. I would recommend that you take all the settings
                  now in Fpython() (except "filetype on"), remove the autocommand
                  parts, and put them all in a separate file, C:\Program
                  Files\vim\vim70\after\ftplugin\python.vim. Then change all the
                  "set" commands to "setlocal", like this:

                  source "C:/Program Files/vim/vim70/scripts/python.vim"
                  syntax on
                  setlocal ai

                  " les tabs sont des espaces pour Python:
                  setlocal expandtab
                  setlocal tabstop=4
                  setlocal shiftwidth=4

                  Vim's filetype detection will cause this file to be sourced whenever
                  you open a Python file. Using "setlocal" will cause those settings
                  to apply only to the current buffer, that is, only to buffers
                  containing Python files, rather that to every buffer in the current
                  vim instance.

                  Lastly, if you execute "syntax on" like this, you enable syntax
                  highlighting for every buffer, regardless of file type. If you want
                  syntax highlighting for only certain file types, I would recommend
                  putting

                  syntax manual

                  in your _vimrc and

                  setlocal syntax=ON

                  in the C:\Program Files\vim\vim70\after\ftplugin\ file for each
                  filetype for which you want highlighting enabled.

                  HTH,
                  Gary

                  --
                  Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
                  garyjohn@... | Mobile Broadband Division
                  | Spokane, Washington, USA
                • kib2
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1, 2007
                    Gary Johnson a écrit :
> [...]
                    > setlocal expandtab
                    > setlocal tabstop=4
                    > setlocal shiftwidth=4
                    >
                    > Vim's filetype detection will cause this file to be sourced whenever
                    > you open a Python file. Using "setlocal" will cause those settings
                    > to apply only to the current buffer, that is, only to buffers
                    > containing Python files, rather that to every buffer in the current
                    > vim instance.
                    >
                    > Lastly, if you execute "syntax on" like this, you enable syntax
                    > highlighting for every buffer, regardless of file type. If you want
                    > syntax highlighting for only certain file types, I would recommend
                    > putting
                    >
                    > syntax manual
                    >
                    > in your _vimrc and
                    >
                    > setlocal syntax=ON
                    >
                    > in the C:\Program Files\vim\vim70\after\ftplugin\ file for each
                    > filetype for which you want highlighting enabled.

                    Thanks Gary for this long Vim lesson, I'll try to modify my _vimrc now
                    with all your comments in mind.
                    Cheers,
                    Kib.