Re: hi Comment guifg=white guibg=black in ~/.vimrc ignored

  • Yakov Lerner
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
      On 3/1/07, Alexander Farber <alexander.farber@...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > On 3/1/07, Yakov Lerner <iler.ml@...> wrote:
      > > On 3/1/07, Alexander Farber <alexander.farber@...> wrote:
      > > > When I enter ":hi Comment guifg=white guibg=black"
      > > > manually or ":so ~/.vimrc" then it does work.
      > >
      > > It's not ignored. It's overwritten later.
      > > 1. Try 'syn off' 'syntax on' after that. Does it affect you colors ?
      >
      > it does affect my colors: "syn off" turns everything black/white
      > and "syn on" brings the colors back (but wrong colors -
      > my Comments are still not inverted)
      >
      > > 2. Do you have 'color ...' c(colorscheme setting) in your vimrc ?
      >
      > No, here is my complete ~/.vimrc:

      Ok, you can try the following:
      For every 'hi ...' command in your ~/.vimrc, have two lines:
      hi Comment ctermfg=Red ctermbg=Green
      au ColorScheme * hi Comment ctermfg=Red ctermbg=Green
      in your vimrc. Your settings will not be overwritten. However.

      This method is not recommended: if you try to change colorscheme,
      the colorscheme settings will be overwritten by your additions.
      But you can try.

      Yakov
    • Alexander Farber
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
        Hello Hugh,

        On 3/1/07, Hugh Sasse <hgs@...> wrote:
        > On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Alexander Farber wrote:
        > > I'd like to have my Comments inverted and thus I have:
        > > hi Comment guifg=white guibg=black
        >
        > If I recall correctly, this will affect gvim, because
        > you have have used GUIfg and GUIbg (caps for emphasis).
        > What happens if you supplement these:
        >
        > hi Comment ctermfg=white guifg=white ctermbg=black guibg=black
        >
        > Then it should affect vim invoked from the command prompt, I think.
        > This is based on your talking about vim rather than gvim and not
        > discussing how you invoked it. Sorry if this is irrelevant .

        no, unfortunately this doesn't change anything.
        I've had those in my ~/.vimrc originally:

        syntax on
        hi Cursor term=inverse ctermfg=black guifg=black
        guibg=green
        hi Visual term=inverse ctermfg=yellow ctermbg=black guifg=yellow
        guibg=black
        hi Comment term=inverse ctermfg=white ctermbg=black guifg=white
        guibg=black
        hi Identifier term=NONE ctermfg=black guifg=black
        hi Constant term=underline ctermfg=red guifg=red
        hi Statement term=bold ctermfg=blue guifg=blue
        hi PreProc term=NONE ctermfg=black guifg=black
        gui=underline
        hi Special term=NONE ctermfg=red guifg=red
        hi Type term=bold ctermfg=blue guifg=blue

        but only gui* stuff mattered (when I "so ~/.vimrc")
        so I have deleted the rest before posting my question here.

        Regards
        Alex

        --
        http://preferans.de
      • Hugh Sasse
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
          On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Alexander Farber wrote:

          > no, unfortunately this doesn't change anything.
          > I've had those in my ~/.vimrc originally:
          [...]

          Then try
          :scriptnames
          to see which scripts have been loaded in what order, that way
          you'll have an idea what is picked up after your .vimrc and
          for the case of syntax files there are likely things which "bend
          your colourscheme to their will", so to speak.

          And you might want to put the comment highlights in
          %HOME%/vimfiles/after/syntax/something.vim

          see the results of

          :set runtimepath?

          for where this might be.

          > Regards
          > Alex
          >

          > --
          > http://preferans.de

        • Alexander Farber
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
            Hello Hugh,

            On 3/1/07, Hugh Sasse <hgs@...> wrote:
            > :scriptnames

            1: C:\Documents and Settings\afarber\.vimrc
            2: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syntax.vim
            3: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\synload.vim
            4: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syncolor.vim
            5: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\filetype.vim
            6: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\menu.vim
            7: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\autoload\paste.vim
            8: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\getscript.vim
            9: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\gzip.vim
            10: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\matchparen.vim
            11: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\netrwPlugin.vim
            12: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\rrhelper.vim
            13: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\spellfile.vim
            14: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\tarPlugin.vim
            15: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\tohtml.vim
            16: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\vimballPlugin.vim
            17: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\zipPlugin.vim
            18: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\actionscript.vim

            so ok, my ~/.vimrc is getting executed (I could also see
            that because all my other setting like font size do work)
            but then the highlight colors get overwritten by something
            (like Yakov told me several times).

            > And you might want to put the comment highlights in
            > %HOME%/vimfiles/after/syntax/something.vim

            Actually I edit .sh, .pl, .c, .h, .java and .as files
            and like to have similar colors (like inverted comments)
            everywhere. So probably this is not the best way?

            > :set runtimepath?

            runtimepath=~/vimfiles,C:\Program Files\Vim/vimfiles,C:\Program
            Files\Vim\vim70,C:\Program Files\Vim/vimfiles/after,~/vimfiles/after

            Regards
            Alex

            --
            http://preferans.de
          • Hugh Sasse
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
              On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Alexander Farber wrote:

              > Hello Hugh,
              >
              > On 3/1/07, Hugh Sasse <hgs@...> wrote:
              > > :scriptnames
              >
              > 1: C:\Documents and Settings\afarber\.vimrc
              > 2: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syntax.vim
              > 3: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\synload.vim
              > 4: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syncolor.vim
              [...]
              > 18: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\actionscript.vim

              Those at least could do it.

              > so ok, my ~/.vimrc is getting executed (I could also see
              > that because all my other setting like font size do work)
              > but then the highlight colors get overwritten by something
              > (like Yakov told me several times).
              >
              > > And you might want to put the comment highlights in
              > > %HOME%/vimfiles/after/syntax/something.vim
              >
              > Actually I edit .sh, .pl, .c, .h, .java and .as files
              > and like to have similar colors (like inverted comments)
              > everywhere. So probably this is not the best way?

              Then I'm not really sure what is, hopefully someone else will
              jump in here....

              > > :set runtimepath?
              >
              > runtimepath=~/vimfiles,C:\Program Files\Vim/vimfiles,C:\Program
              > Files\Vim\vim70,C:\Program Files\Vim/vimfiles/after,~/vimfiles/after

              I know that
              :set verbose=10
              would tell you where varaiables were set, but I don't know how to find
              out when a command like `hi comment ...` was used....

              > Regards
              > Alex

              Hugh
            • Peter Hodge
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
                --- Hugh Sasse <hgs@...> wrote:

                > On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Alexander Farber wrote:
                >
                > > Hello Hugh,
                > >
                > > On 3/1/07, Hugh Sasse <hgs@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Actually I edit .sh, .pl, .c, .h, .java and .as files
                > > and like to have similar colors (like inverted comments)
                > > everywhere. So probably this is not the best way?
                >
                > Then I'm not really sure what is, hopefully someone else will
                > jump in here....

                Hello,

                If you insist on having your colors inside .vimrc, then you can do it like
                this:

                augroup MyColors
                autocmd!
                autocmd ColorScheme * hi Cursor term=inverse ctermfg=black
                guifg=black guibg=green
                autocmd ColorScheme * hi Visual term=inverse ctermfg=yellow
                ctermbg=black guifg=yellow guibg=black
                autocmd ColorScheme * hi Comment term=inverse ctermfg=white
                ctermbg=black guifg=white guibg=black
                autocmd ColorScheme * hi Identifier term=NONE ctermfg=black
                guifg=black
                autocmd ColorScheme * hi Constant term=underline ctermfg=red
                guifg=red
                autocmd ColorScheme * hi Statement term=bold ctermfg=blue
                guifg=blue
                autocmd ColorScheme * hi PreProc term=NONE ctermfg=black
                guifg=black gui=underline
                autocmd ColorScheme * hi Special term=NONE ctermfg=red
                guifg=red
                autocmd ColorScheme * hi Type term=bold ctermfg=blue
                guifg=blue
                augroup end

                otherwise, you can download my AfterColors plugin:

                and move your highlight commands into $HOME\vimfiles\after\colors\common.vim'.

                regards,
                Peter

              • Mark Woodward
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
                  Hi alex,

                  On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 16:33 +0100, Alexander Farber wrote:
                  > Hello Hugh,
                  >
                  > On 3/1/07, Hugh Sasse <hgs@...> wrote:
                  > > :scriptnames
                  >
                  > 1: C:\Documents and Settings\afarber\.vimrc
                  > 2: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syntax.vim
                  > 3: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\synload.vim
                  > 4: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syncolor.vim
                  > 5: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\filetype.vim
                  > 6: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\menu.vim
                  > 7: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\autoload\paste.vim
                  > 8: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\getscript.vim
                  > 9: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\gzip.vim
                  > 10: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\matchparen.vim
                  > 11: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\netrwPlugin.vim
                  > 12: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\rrhelper.vim
                  > 13: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\spellfile.vim
                  > 14: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\tarPlugin.vim
                  > 15: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\tohtml.vim
                  > 16: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\vimballPlugin.vim
                  > 17: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\zipPlugin.vim
                  > 18: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\actionscript.vim

                  Is this Vim or gVim?
                  If the later, where's the .gvimrc file?
                  If the former, putting guifg=... in the .vimrc is meaningless.

                  If you're using gVim create a .gvimrc file in the same directory as
                  the .vimrc. Place the guifg=... stuff in there.

                  What is the output of scriptnames now?
                  Is the syntax as you'd like it now?

                  cheers,

                  --
                  Mark
                • A.J.Mechelynck
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
                    Mark Woodward wrote:
                    > Hi alex,
                    >
                    > On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 16:33 +0100, Alexander Farber wrote:
                    >> Hello Hugh,
                    >>
                    >> On 3/1/07, Hugh Sasse <hgs@...> wrote:
                    >>> :scriptnames
                    >> 1: C:\Documents and Settings\afarber\.vimrc
                    >> 2: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syntax.vim
                    >> 3: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\synload.vim
                    >> 4: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syncolor.vim
                    >> 5: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\filetype.vim
                    >> 6: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\menu.vim
                    >> 7: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\autoload\paste.vim
                    >> 8: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\getscript.vim
                    >> 9: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\gzip.vim
                    >> 10: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\matchparen.vim
                    >> 11: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\netrwPlugin.vim
                    >> 12: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\rrhelper.vim
                    >> 13: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\spellfile.vim
                    >> 14: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\tarPlugin.vim
                    >> 15: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\tohtml.vim
                    >> 16: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\vimballPlugin.vim
                    >> 17: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\zipPlugin.vim
                    >> 18: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\actionscript.vim
                    >
                    > Is this Vim or gVim?
                    > If the later, where's the .gvimrc file?
                    > If the former, putting guifg=... in the .vimrc is meaningless.
                    >
                    > If you're using gVim create a .gvimrc file in the same directory as
                    > the .vimrc. Place the guifg=... stuff in there.
                    >
                    > What is the output of scriptnames now?
                    > Is the syntax as you'd like it now?
                    >

                    > cheers,

                    It's perfectly possible to run gvim with no gvimrc (it does source the vimrc).
                    ":highlight" commands would sit better in a colorscheme, but regardless of
                    whether they're in a colorscheme or in the vimrc, it's possible to set both
                    cterm[bf]g= and gui[bf]g= (and term= if deemed necessary) in the same ":hi"
                    command.

                    IIUC, ":syntax on" resets all colors, re-invoking the current colorscheme if
                    any: thus it's usually less problematic to define colors in a colorscheme.
                    (When default colors are OK, the corresponding highlight groups can be omitted.)

                    See (attached) an example colorscheme, which is the one I use for my
                    day-to-day editing. It may help you design your own. To use this one, drop it
                    in ~/.vim/colors and add

                    colorscheme almost-default

                    to your vimrc.

                    79. All of your most erotic dreams have a scrollbar at the right side.
                  • Alexander Farber
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
                      Hello all,

                      I have received many nice replies, thank you!

                      Unfortunately none of them worked for me yet,
                      lest editing C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syncolor.vim
                      which is not what I need (please read below why).

                      May I rephrase my question please?

                      Does anybody please have a line, which I could
                      put into my ~/.vimrc and which would invert the
                      color of Comment's in vim and gvim on any OS?

                      And here is the background: I work on different
                      machines (servers, PCs, laptops) and OSs (Windows,
                      Cygwin, Solaris, HP, Linux and at home OpenBSD).
                      And I edit c/java/perl/shell/actionscript source code.

                      Until now I was very happy with my vim, because
                      I could come anywhere, drop my ~/.vimrc into home dir
                      (with: hi Comment term=inverse ctermfg=white
                      ctermbg=black guifg=white guibg=black )

                      and start working in 2 minutes (laughing at the emacs
                      and other editor users, who would run around and whine,
                      that something doesn't work for them).

                      Unfortunately as of Vim 7.0 this does not work for me.
                      And while I can edit ...\Vim\vim70\syntax\syncolor.vim
                      on a PC, I don't have permissions on Unix to do that.

                      So does anybody has a line for ~/.vimrc for me, so that
                      I put that file on my USB-keychain and on my web server
                      and can reuse it anywhere? Thank you very much

                      Regards
                      Alex

                      --
                      http://preferans.de
                    • Yukihiro Nakadaira
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
                        You should set 'background' option.

                        set background=light " or dark
                        hi ...
                        hi ...

                        If 'background' option is not set, Vim may change it while initializing
                        GUI (after vimrc is sourced). Then "syntax/syncolor.vim" is sourced and
                        highlight settings are reset.

                      • Alexander Farber
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
                          Yukihiro-San, you're genius!

                          On 3/2/07, Yukihiro Nakadaira <yukihiro.nakadaira@...> wrote:
                          > You should set 'background' option.
                          >
                          > set background=light " or dark
                          > hi ...
                          > hi ...
                          >
                          > If 'background' option is not set, Vim may change it while initializing
                          > GUI (after vimrc is sourced). Then "syntax/syncolor.vim" is sourced and
                          > highlight settings are reset.

                          After I've done that, my old ~/.vimrc started working
                          as before again, thank you very much:

                          syntax on
                          set bg=light

                          hi Cursor term=inverse ctermfg=black guifg=black guibg=green
                          hi Visual term=inverse ctermfg=yellow ctermbg=black guifg=yellow
                          guibg=black
                          hi Comment term=inverse ctermfg=white ctermbg=black guifg=white guibg=black
                          hi Identifier term=NONE ctermfg=black guifg=black
                          hi Constant term=underline ctermfg=red guifg=red
                          hi Statement term=bold ctermfg=blue guifg=blue
                          hi PreProc term=NONE ctermfg=black guifg=black gui=underline
                          hi Special term=NONE ctermfg=red guifg=red
                          hi Type term=bold ctermfg=blue guifg=blue

                          Regards
                          Alex

                          PS: Thank you all others too for your suggestions!
                          (they were a bit to heavy for me though -
                          I guess I need just a vi, with basic syntax highlighting)

                          --
                          http://preferans.de
                        • Mark Woodward
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 3, 2007
                            Hi Tony,

                            On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 10:52 +0100, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
                            > Mark Woodward wrote:
                            > > Hi alex,
                            > >
                            > > On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 16:33 +0100, Alexander Farber wrote:

                            > >> 1: C:\Documents and Settings\afarber\.vimrc
                            > >> 2: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syntax.vim
                            > >> 3: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\synload.vim
                            > >> 4: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syncolor.vim
                            > >> 5: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\filetype.vim
                            > >> 6: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\menu.vim
                            > >> 7: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\autoload\paste.vim
                            > >> 8: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\getscript.vim
                            > >> 9: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\gzip.vim
                            > >> 10: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\matchparen.vim
                            > >> 11: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\netrwPlugin.vim
                            > >> 12: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\rrhelper.vim
                            > >> 13: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\spellfile.vim
                            > >> 14: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\tarPlugin.vim
                            > >> 15: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\tohtml.vim
                            > >> 16: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\vimballPlugin.vim
                            > >> 17: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\zipPlugin.vim
                            > >> 18: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\actionscript.vim
                            > >
                            > > Is this Vim or gVim?
                            > > If the later, where's the .gvimrc file?
                            > > If the former, putting guifg=... in the .vimrc is meaningless.
                            > >
                            > > If you're using gVim create a .gvimrc file in the same directory as
                            > > the .vimrc. Place the guifg=... stuff in there.
                            > >
                            > > What is the output of scriptnames now?
                            > > Is the syntax as you'd like it now?
                            > >

                            > > cheers,
                            > >

                            > It's perfectly possible to run gvim with no gvimrc (it does source the vimrc).
                            > ":highlight" commands would sit better in a colorscheme, but regardless of
                            > whether they're in a colorscheme or in the vimrc, it's possible to set both
                            > cterm[bf]g= and gui[bf]g= (and term= if deemed necessary) in the same ":hi"
                            > command.
                            >
                            > IIUC, ":syntax on" resets all colors, re-invoking the current colorscheme if
                            > any: thus it's usually less problematic to define colors in a colorscheme.
                            > (When default colors are OK, the corresponding highlight groups can be omitted.)
                            >
                            > See (attached) an example colorscheme, which is the one I use for my
                            > day-to-day editing. It may help you design your own. To use this one, drop it
                            > in ~/.vim/colors and add
                            >
                            > colorscheme almost-default
                            >
                            > to your vimrc.
                            >

                            > Best regards,
                            > Tony.

                            I agree gui hi can be set in the _vimrc file. However:

                            However when I enter ":verbose hi Comment" I get:

                            Comment xxx term=bold ctermfg=1 guifg=Blue
                            Last set from C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syncolor.vim

                            If the OP had a _gvimrc file it would be sources after the runtime
                            syntax files:

                            /home/mark/.vimrc
                            /home/mark/.vim/filetype.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/filetype.vim
                            /home/mark/.vim/ftdetect/ruby.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/menu.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/autoload/paste.vim
                            /home/mark/.vim/after/filetype.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/ftplugin.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/indent.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/syntax/syntax.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/syntax/synload.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/syntax/syncolor.vim <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                            /home/mark/.vim/plugin/curr_word.vim
                            /home/mark/.vim/plugin/imaps.vim
                            /home/mark/.vim/plugin/matchit.vim
                            /home/mark/.vim/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
                            /home/mark/.vim/plugin/project.vim
                            /home/mark/.vim/plugin/rails.vim
                            /home/mark/.vim/plugin/rcodetools.vim
                            /home/mark/.vim/plugin/taglist.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/getscript.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/getscriptPlugin.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/gzip.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/matchparen.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/rrhelper.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/spellfile.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/tarPlugin.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/tohtml.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/vimballPlugin.vim
                            /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/zipPlugin.vim
                            /home/mark/.gvimrc <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                            /home/mark/.vim/after/color/tweak.vim

                            I only source tweak.vim from .gvimrc and like you it's just a 'tweak' of
                            the default colors. For some filetypes (ruby for eg) I have a
                            ruby_cols.vim file in ~/after/ftplugin/ that contains specific hi
                            commands:

                            eg
                            rubyBoolean, rubyComment, rubyDocumentation, rubyData,
                            rubyStringDelimiter, rubyString, rubyNoInterpolation,
                            rubyPseudoVariable, rubyInteger, rubyASCIICode, rubyFloat, rubyEscape,
                            rubyInterpolation, rubyDataDirective, rubyOperator,

                            which basically means I can go overboard tweaking ruby syntax ;-)

                            cheers,

                            --
                            Mark